DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Clumsy pillock!!

Oh dear. My cooking oil story is not as expensive as yours.

Last week I decided to clean out the kitchen sink drain by pouring down a good squirt of washing-up liquid which I then follow up with a kettle of hot water to wash away all the grease.

I was pouring away for a minute when I realised that I was emptying a bottle of olive oil down the plug-hole.

Life happens eh.

29 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I've just knocked a bottle of olive oil over and cracked the corner of our induction hob. :CryBaby:

And we've sold our house :CryBaby:

I haven't even been drinking....

Depending how bad it is:

Not too bad: Just leave it,  new owner will just put in a new one when they move in if they are bothered.

Total right-off:  Buy a cheap resistive hob from AO and drop it in.  Easy to do yourself..  no big deal.

Just went through similar a couple months ago when my wife dropped a saucepan through ours :Beer:

6 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Depending how bad it is:

Not too bad: Just leave it,  new owner will just put in a new one when they move in if they are bothered.

Total right-off:  Buy a cheap resistive hob from AO and drop it in.  Easy to do yourself..  no big deal.

Just went through similar a couple months ago when my wife dropped a saucepan through ours :Beer:

Still works but we can't leave it. The buyers are very nice people and will be buying furniture/curtains etc and paying a fair price for these. Luckily it's only a Zanussi one and about £300 to replace.

Not as bad as a previous house sale when the boiler packed in between exchange and completion....

12 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Still works but we can't leave it. The buyers are very nice people and will be buying furniture/curtains etc and paying a fair price for these. Luckily it's only a Zanussi one and about £300 to replace.

Not as bad as a previous house sale when the boiler packed in between exchange and completion....

You sound like a very nice and honest person. Have a chat and see what they would prefer maybe? 

2 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

I've just knocked a bottle of olive oil over and cracked the corner of our induction hob. :CryBaby:

And we've sold our house :CryBaby:

I haven't even been drinking....

Oh dear. That's so annoying. But presume you have the time to fix it?

Daughter smashed a small coloured (leaded light?) window next to front door on the day she was moving out (solo) from the house she had just sold. (New owners arriving next day.)

Poor thing. Really unfortunate, so she had a little cry.  Too much pressure to get everything done plus she was moving the heavy stuff on her own.

After the cry, she rang around some window repair ppl trying to get it fixed same day - not possible of course. Special glass etc.

In the end, she managed to get a quote by email that afternoon giving a price to replace/match it (expensive) and then asked solicitor to deduct that figure from the sale price.  (As not much else she could do.)

Never had any neg feedback from buyers.   Phew!

Shit happens. Especially when moving?!

3 hours ago, One percent said:

You sound like a very nice and honest person. Have a chat and see what they would prefer maybe? 

This.  They might have already planned to wipe out the kitchen and rebuild.

Say to them - do you want a replacement or a nice bottle of wine?

9 hours ago, Hopeful said:

So, 0.01% of the house value, then

The new owners shouldn't get too heated about it

Exactly. I gave away a lot of funtiture in my old house, including a washing machine, for the new owners. It was nothing on the price of the house. I thought it mean to charge for old furniture.

4 hours ago, MrPin said:

Exactly. I gave away a lot of funtiture in my old house, including a washing machine, for the new owners. It was nothing on the price of the house. I thought it mean to charge for old furniture.

It always amuses me when people buy a new -buid home for 400k and the brochure emphasises the plushness of the tat appliances in the fitted kitchen

And then they add £100 per downlighter if you want them in rooms instead of a central rose xD

Edited by Hopeful

My ex wife had a phobia of any visitors to our house unless she spent hours cleaning it first. This went into overdrive when we sold and the day before we were moving out she got some cleaning company in for deep clean of the oven and hob. They sent a crazy old guy who didn't speak English but talked to himself in Polish while he was working. 

Bloke had no idea whatsoever and was scrubbing at the very expensive cooker with a massive wire brush god knows how much damage he was doing. By that time in the divorce I hated everyone involved including the buyers so just didn't say anything. 

Suddenly there was a bright flash and the guy was knocked onto the floor gibbering in broken English about "go big bang." Got the power back on but it had fried the central heating controller. 

Found ex and just said you have a problem to sort out. Incredibly and to my slight disappointment the cleaning company sent manager round who got electricians in for same day fix. 

2 minutes ago, Nippy said:

Is it not a drop-in item? Have you got time to get a 2nd hand one off ebay? It might not even have to be a Zanussi if the oven controls are independent? I would feel the sting of £300.

That's a damn good idea. Just had a look on fleabay and found a refurbished one for £180. Just need to check the fitting instructions next.

I went to look at a car with my dad this morning for my little brother.

Plugged my OBD reader in and started the engine, set my phone to scan for error codes and put the phone down on the suspension turret sort of straddling the wing/bonnet shut line.

Went to look around the rest of the car and dad decides he should shut the bonnet.

FFS, just lucky it only bent my phone and not the bonnet or wing.

Nice one dad, thanks.

Edited by Boglet