DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Diversity Oscars - the death of art

Oscars: Only diverse films will be considered for best picture
Films hoping to compete for the best picture Oscar will have to meet certain criteria over diversity, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences says.

The Academy set out four "standards" which it hopes will boost representation and inclusion both in front of and behind the camera.

It lists in detail the underrepresented groups - which include women, racial and ethnic groups, LGBTQ+ and people with disabilities.

[...]

It lays out the following areas where such groups need to be involved:

- On-screen acting and storylines, "including at least one of the lead actors or significant supporting actors is from an underrepresented racial or ethnic group"
- Creative leadership positions, departmental heads and crew composition
- Paid apprenticeships, internships and training
- Audience development, from publicity and marketing to distribution

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54082567

So no more "12 Angry Men", "Flight of the Phoenix", "Glengarry Glenross"?

Edited by Turned Out Nice Again
8 minutes ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

Oscars: Only diverse films will be considered for best picture

Films hoping to compete for the best picture Oscar will have to meet certain criteria over diversity, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences says.

The Academy set out four "standards" which it hopes will boost representation and inclusion both in front of and behind the camera.

It lists in detail the underrepresented groups - which include women, racial and ethnic groups, LGBTQ+ and people with disabilities.

[...]

It lays out the following areas where such groups need to be involved:

- On-screen acting and storylines, "including at least one of the lead actors or significant supporting actors is from an underrepresented racial or ethnic group"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54082567

Yeah, gays are totally under-represented in the performing arts. xD

Winning the best picture Oscar has been an indicator of shit no one wanted to watch for nearly 20 years. Audiences for the event have already collapsed. It’s already nothing more than a Hollywood mutual wanking circle at this point anyway.

Hmm.

Isn't this what many groups have been campaigning against?  That films need to include a token black/gay/disabled/whatever person?  As far as I can tell (after discussions with others in their groups) what they want is for 'that group' to be included on their own terms, not as a token.  The great example is Silent Witness, where Melissa is someone in a wheelchair that is part of the team -- as far as I can remember there was only one storyline that actually made a thing about her disability. 

Beyond that -- I don't think that they've actually understood what 'diverse' means -- by their definition Black Panther would qualify, but surely that's not diverse...

I think this is sensible.  I'm sure that there are plenty of LGBT in the industry (probably over-represented), but very few with disabilities.  I don't know about BAME -- it appears to be representative whenever I look, but I've not looked hard.

Not sure about this.  Positive discrimination is a dangerous sword -- but they should absolutely make sure that the composition of their staff is broadly neutral.  Again, I can only see that disabilities are very underrepresented, so perhaps it would be very sensible to offer supportive grants etc to enable the disabled to effectively work in the industry.

Other than that, In general, apprenticeships should always be paid (no matter who it is).

'Internship' is one of those innocent sounding terms, but actually reflects the core problem here -- that people can only get into the industry if they can support themselves, and that means (children of) wealthy people, and  in the USA that's a predominantly white group.  The core problem is class, not race -- poor white kids have as poor a chance in the industry as poor black kids.  Paid internships would go some way to sort out that problem, but to only give black kids pay for internship would be missing the point (albeit with incredible virtue signalling value).

WTF.  I absolutely don't want them to be mucking about with the audience.  

Then again, there is no such thing as -ism in marketing -- at the levels we're talking about (many millions spent to market a film) they'll just go with whatever works best.  So, I'd imagine that this will either reduce the effectiveness of the marketing, or increase costs.  Either way, the industry loses, and I'm not sure there's anything in it for the audience either.

35 minutes ago, dgul said:

Hmm.

Isn't this what many groups have been campaigning against?  That films need to include a token black/gay/disabled/whatever person?  As far as I can tell (after discussions with others in their groups) what they want is for 'that group' to be included on their own terms, not as a token.

dapd10n-3e2ce7ff-9821-4a55-843f-611be803

18 minutes ago, The Idiocrat said:

Hold on, wasn’t last year’s Oscar winner for “Best Picture” a Korean film called Parasite with zero diversity?! Are they going to ban pretty much all non-Western films then?

Well, the announcement we're discussing is them attempting to make up for past mistakes, such as last year's winner.

But, yes, I'd imagine most films from non-west sources won't be able to qualify, given their recent past.

Well, unless they think 'diverse' simply means 'fewer white people' -- which sounds rather racist to me.

"Cheers” actress Kirstie Alley blasted the new quotas as “dictatorial, saying the rules are akin to “telling Picasso what had to be in his f***ing paintings.”

Writing on Twitter on Tuesday night, Alley said: “The Academy celebrates freedom of UNBRIDLED artistry expressed through movies. The new RULES to qualify for Best Picture are dictatorial… anti-artist… Hollywood you’re swinging so far left you’re bumping into your own a**.”

She added: “This is a disgrace to artists everywhere…can you imagine telling Picasso what had to be in his f***ing paintings. You people have lost your minds… Control artists, control individual thought… OSCAR ORWELL.”

13 minutes ago, Melchett said:

Who cares?

Their descent into irrelevance gathers pace.

To paraphrase Frazier:

"At Cornell University they have an incredible piece of scientific equipment known as the tunneling electron microscope. Now, this microscope is so powerful that by firing electrons you can actually see images of the atom, the infinitesimally minute building blocks of our universe. If I were using that microscope right now, I still wouldn’t be able to locate my interest in Hollywood"

33 minutes ago, Captain Cavey said:

Some remakes being considered for the woke Oscars:

Wonder Trannie

Diverse Christmas

Blade Wheeler

Raging Cow

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner gets remade where a white liberal girl brings home a white male to her liberal parents. They are horrified by her choice in a husband.