DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Senses working overtime

They're probably being advised to appeal to the main personality types which, according to some rubbish course I went on, imbue data primarily by one of:

Seeing - use lots of words related to sight

Hearing - as

Feeling - as

Or something like that.  It was a rubbish course.

Of more interest YouTube has the French concert in 1982 where Andy Partridge, having recently quit years of taking valium, finds he cannot perform without it and walks off the stage mid-number.

They never toured again and live performances were retsricted to single songs for radio and TV shows.

For me, though others disagree, ceasing to tour crashed the quality of their output.  Drums and Wires was good, Black Sea was excellent, English Settlement superb, Mummer.  Well what was that?  Terry Chambers, the drummer, left the band when they started rehearsing the songs.

The timing should be right but if not it's at the end; midway through Respectable Street.

Just now, Bedrag Justesen said:

Barry Andrews leaving XTC was a big loss.

I would describe it more as making it into a new band; similar to when Peter Gabriel left Genesis or the many-changing Fleetwood Macs.

I'd actually like to have seen them hold onto Jonathon Perkins who had big stage presence.  You probably haven't heard of him - keyboardist and singer and was in amongst many other things Dave Stewart's Spiritual Cowboys.  I did catch one of his subsequent bands live, Miss World, at the Marquee around 1990 and I was amazed that they never made it big.

This was their nearly hit:

Jon Perkins, the band's original keyboard player, walked after about a year. "He got his own band who were going to do as he said as opposed to him doing what I said," recalls Partridge in XTC: Song Stories, a book the band recently wrote with Neville Farmer. Barry Andrews, who replaced Perkins, played in a heavy blues-rock style when he joined. Partridge encouraged him to be more original but got more than he'd bargained for when Andrews's wiggy, atonal keyboard runs and wild stage antics made him the focus of the band for its first two albums, White Music and Go 2 (both 1978). After Andrews started showing up with his own songs, Partridge and Moulding froze him out; he quit in early 1979,

https://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/too-much-of-a-god-thing/Content?oid=902571

1 hour ago, Formerly said:

Politicians now say "look" when they mean "listen".

This forum claims we "said" something when quoting what we "wrote".

What's going on?

I think I mentioned this at least a year ago on here.  It is just so condescending.

the reply should be, yeah i am and I’m really not impressed. Whilst looking the person up and down.  xD 

@Frank Hovis

Seen XTC with JP.

Some of the support bands went on to do well.

Flowers who became Icehouse, Australian, big hit with Hey Little Girl.

Random Hold whose guitarist, Dave Rhodes, joined Peter Gabriel, their drummer played with Glitter Band, then joined XTC.

JP played with Dave Broudie in Icicle Works (?), Lightning Seeds ? Did the music for Jonathan Meades really good documentary series, and because he plays in Eddie Jordan's band, he did the music for EJ's BBC F1 documentary.

Seen him in Stadium Dogs too.

Dave Gregory has a list of every XTC gig, on a blog, with songs played, and supports.

You've probably seen all that stuff, I can't link it, or copy it.

Two things stick in my mind from watching BA are him attacking his keyboard, and his filthy white pumps stank. (Right down front.)

*Weird, I nearly mentioned Andrews leaving XTC, was like Gabriel or Steve Hackett leaving Genesis.  :)

52 minutes ago, spunko said:

Personally any politician who says "look..." gets muted or turned off. Same with that stupid fucking hand thing. No, it doesn't make you appear "powerful yet non-confrontational" you ignoramous. It makes you look like a repitilian who has never lived in the real world and has to be trained how to 'act'.

Like many other appalling things, I think all that cobblers started in earnest with the King of the Lizards Tony Blair.

4 hours ago, Formerly said:

Politicians now say "look" when they mean "listen".

This forum claims we "said" something when quoting what we "wrote".

What's going on?

I reckon that "Look" used that way is an abbreviation of "Look Here" which is long-established to sound old-fashioned nowadays. 

As for "says":

"My gender studies textbook says that anyone who isn't white and male, is intersectionally oppressed."

"Says" is the only part of the above sentence makes sense. Don't knock it.

4 hours ago, Formerly said:

What's going on?

I can explain this. The seeming increase in offences is due to a global increase in pedantry. Pedants often believe they are superior because they  correct other people's inexactitude: however, they are often just as wrong as the  people they are correcting. Some pedants even reckon a microphone should not be tapped to test whether it is live because that is not just not english. And the term 'discourse marker' is not known to them.

17 hours ago, stop_the_craziness said:

Like many other appalling things, I think all that cobblers started in earnest with the King of the Lizards Tony Blair.

He also started " By the way............" which is equally annoying. 

As for every answer beginning with    "So..........."  That is outright offensive to me now.