DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Becoming a member

Work has taken me down a different route since C19. I'm doing some advanced user testing for a music DAW.

A guy I've known for years that I've been working more closely with recently , out of the blue, asked me if I wanted to join a masonic lodge.. I thought he was kidding - he wasn't. Told me a few hairy-fairy things, but couldn;t aay too much (hush, hush).

Is anyone here a mason or knows anything about it? Ii am interested but more from the point of view of insider knowledge than anything else. I think he doesn't know me as well as he thinks.... or does he????? :ph34r:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought I might leave this at the Admiral Ackbar meme but I cannot. I grew up in a Masonic family and by the age of seventeen I had changed my name and put six thousand physical miles between m

The best clubs to join are the ones that no one knows about.... I suspect I get more value from DOSBODs than the few masons I know get from being a member of a lodge. No subs to pay either.

I don't actually think it's possible to be atheist. Seriously. People (wrongly in my view) think atheist = disbelieve that god exists. But since by definition God is undefineable it's impossible to di

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, maynardgravy said:

Work has taken me down a different route since C19. I'm doing some advanced user testing for a music DAW.

A guy I've known for years that I've been working more closely with recently , out of the blue, asked me if I wanted to join a masonic lodge.. I thought he was kidding - he wasn't. Told me a few hairy-fairy things, but couldn;t aay too much (hush, hush).

Is anyone here a mason or knows anything about it? Ii am interested but more from the point of view of insider knowledge than anything else. I think he doesn't know me as well as he thinks.... or does he????? :ph34r:

I know little about it, but suspect it's controlled, by those who like to control. It probably didn't start off that way, but I reckon it probably is now. 

Might be interesting to join, but I wouldn't. 

1 minute ago, Carl Fimble said:

I know little about it, but suspect it's controlled, by those who like to control. It probably didn't start off that way, but I reckon it probably is now. 

Might be interesting to join, but I wouldn't. 

yeah, don't think it's for me. Might end up a bit hotel California-ish.

I used to know somebody in my local lodge and have been to a couple of events there.

That's fairly limited knowledge I admit but my impression is that these days it's like the British Legion clubs used to be: a pleasant social hub which runs activities.  Most similar to something like the local Lions / Rotary club.

Where it scores over other places is that people can't just turn up they have to be invited so that keeps out the riff raff.

The caveat can be that you have to dip into your pocket for masonic charities but this isn't excessive.

Ask if you can go along to a couple of events like quizzes to see if you like the ambience and other people.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

I used to know somebody in my local lodge and have been to a couple of events there.

That's fairly limited knowledge I admit but my impression is that these days it's like the British Legion clubs used to be: a pleasant social hub which runs activities.  Most similar to something like the local Lions / Rotary club.

Where it scores over other places is that people can't just turn up they have to be invited so that keeps out the riff raff.

The caveat can be that you have to dip into your pocket for masonic charities but this isn't excessive.

Ask if you can go along to a couple of events like quizzes to see if you like the ambience and other people.

Thinl I'll drop @ad_ceng a PM when I get chance. My time is limited so don't want to end up committing to something to find out there's no adrenochrome  (sp?) and/or world domination involved (kidding).

11 minutes ago, maynardgravy said:

I think any background checks would put a halt to my nomination, although I am social media free and pretty much anon.

Are you a Christian? Practicing or otherwise. Because they are a religious organisation at heart.

Better brush up on your bible reading.

3 minutes ago, maynardgravy said:

Apparently you don't have to be religious in an organised sense - but you have to (say) you subscribe to a higher being..

I'm an atheist.

They don't tolerate atheists...

"You believe in a Supreme Being—no atheist can become a Mason—but we are not concerned with theological distinctions or your particular religious beliefs.”

It's why I would never join. Fuck em! They'd let in the Muz but not an atheist -- doesn't sound like the sort of thing I'd want to be part of.

Edited by spunko
37 minutes ago, maynardgravy said:

Whole thread on this here - 

I recognised a fair few people there from other things I've been to - Lions, golf club, church.

The only slight distinction was that it was primarily men; I don't even think women can be members but they can attend events as wives / partners.

TBH that alone makes it too blokish for me; I've no problem with there being men only clubs like the Garrick (separate thread today) but I wouldn't want to join one.

It was only ever at all attractive to me in the days when it was a genuinely secret society with hidden rituals; all such things get these days are lip service ("a toast to the Great Architect"). 

1 minute ago, spunko said:

They don't tolerate atheists...

I don't actually think it's possible to be atheist. Seriously. People (wrongly in my view) think atheist = disbelieve that god exists. But since by definition God is undefineable it's impossible to disbelieve in it.

People who do "believe in God" say that god is that which is unknowable and outside of our "normal lives". Even if you think outside of our lives there is Nothing you are still effectively calling Nothing to be god (under their definition) even if you don't use the word god. 

Whoa this is good acid. 

8 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

I don't actually think it's possible to be atheist. Seriously. People (wrongly in my view) think atheist = disbelieve that god exists. But since by definition God is undefineable it's impossible to disbelieve in it.

People who do "believe in God" say that god is that which is unknowable and outside of our "normal lives". Even if you think outside of our lives there is Nothing you are still effectively calling Nothing to be god (under their definition) even if you don't use the word god. 

Whoa this is good acid. 

That which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence

Anyway - back on topic.

4 minutes ago, Nippy said:

It's just very difficult. Have a few doubts or wobbles as a believer, and you are still a believer. Have one single doubt as as an atheist and you become an agnostic.

It's easier not to tie yourself up in knots with the agnostic vs atheist debate and just surmise it all as a load of bollocks.

Frankly, if a secret society welcomes new members who pray to a nonce who raped a 4 year old girl (although apparently he only jizzed on her thighs until she was 7, or something) but doesn't wish to welcome someone who says that all that stuff is a load of bollocks, then good luck to them.

Given that they don't allow women to join then you would assume they are not PC-centric, so why hold out a welcoming hand to practitioners of religions like Islam or Judaism? Bizarre.

47 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I recognised a fair few people there from other things I've been to - Lions, golf club, church.

The only slight distinction was that it was primarily men; I don't even think women can be members but they can attend events as wives / partners.

TBH that alone makes it too blokish for me; I've no problem with there being men only clubs like the Garrick (separate thread today) but I wouldn't want to join one.

It was only ever at all attractive to me in the days when it was a genuinely secret society with hidden rituals; all such things get these days are lip service ("a toast to the Great Architect"). 

The best clubs to join are the ones that no one knows about....

I suspect I get more value from DOSBODs than the few masons I know get from being a member of a lodge. No subs to pay either.