Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

The Shetlands are seeking independence from Scotland


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oppressive, distant ruling parliament well to the South, doesnt listen to locals. Where have I heard that?

Alaska - hunting, fishing, kayaking, trapping, cutting up firewood, fresh air.  Rhode island - Skinny Soy Latte coffee mornings , keeping up with the Jonees's, cycle lanes, BS. 

Grass!

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, ccc said:

This has been going on for years. 

 

Yes, slow news day obviously.

Their independence would however be like Greenland's "independence" from Denmark.  They get a flag and a parliament but Denmark keeps picking up the tab.

 

Quote

In 1979, Denmark granted home rule to Greenland; in 2008, Greenlanders voted in favor of the Self-Government Act, which transferred more power from the Danish government to the local Greenlandic government.[18] Under the new structure, Greenland has gradually assumed responsibility for policing, judicial system, company law, accounting, and auditing; mineral resource activities; aviation; law of legal capacity, family law and succession law; aliens and border controls; the working environment; and financial regulation and supervision, while the Danish government retains control of foreign affairs and defence. It also retains control of monetary policy, providing an initial annual subsidy of DKK 3.4 billion, which is planned to diminish gradually over time. Greenland expects to grow its economy based on increased income from the extraction of natural resources. The capital, Nuuk, held the 2016 Arctic Winter Games. At 70%, Greenland has one of the highest shares of renewable energy in the world, mostly coming from hydropower.[19]

 

Greenland has a population of 56,000.  

DKK 3.4bn is £420m.

Denmark is subsidising "independent" Greenland to the tune of £7,500 per person.

 

If such deals are being given out then I may sign up for an independent Cornwall.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

 

Yes, slow news day obviously.

Their independence would however be like Greenland's "independence" from Denmark.  They get a flag and a parliament but Denmark keeps picking up the tab.

 

 

Greenland has a population of 56,000.  

DKK 3.4bn is £420m.

Denmark is subsidising "independent" Greenland to the tune of £7,500 per person.

 

If such deals are being given out then I may sign up for an independent Cornwall.

 

I believe living in Alaska is similar.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

I believe living in Alaska is similar.

Yes, though IIRC (the last time this came up was when Sarah Palin was running for something) this is paid by Alaska rather than the rest of the US from its oil revenues.

I think that's a good idea as tbh if I lived in Alaska then I would be needing some incentive to stay there; we all want to live in temperate to warm climates now that we know about them and have the opportunity to live there.

 

545px-Alaska_K%C3%B6ppen.svg.png

Sounds lovely; I really can't decide between living in a subarctic or a tundra climate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yes, though IIRC (the last time this came up was when Sarah Palin was running for something) this is paid by Alaska rather than the rest of the US from its oil revenues.

I think that's a good idea as tbh if I lived in Alaska then I would be needing some incentive to stay there; we all want to live in temperate to warm climates now that we know about them and have the opportunity to live there.

 

545px-Alaska_K%C3%B6ppen.svg.png

Sounds lovely; I really can't decide between living in a subarctic or a tundra climate.

Would love to visit - but live there? No thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DownwardSpiral said:

Would love to visit - but live there? No thanks.

Yes, sea kayaking with whales is something I think we'd all like to do.

My knowledge of it, and the Aleutian islands, is mainly from a Michael Palin show years back.

I expect that they have a real problem holding onto their young people because most will want to go to a college in the contiguous states and, upon discovering that summers are warm and winters mild, decide to stay.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yes, sea kayaking with whales is something I think we'd all like to do.

My knowledge of it, and the Aleutian islands, is mainly from a Michael Palin show years back.

I expect that they have a real problem holding onto their young people because most will want to go to a college in the contiguous states and, upon discovering that summers are warm and winters mild, decide to stay.

Alaska Male:Female = 108.5:100

Rhode Island Male:Female = 93.4:100

If I was starting out in life, I know which one I’d pick, and the crappy weather would be the least of the issues.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yes, sea kayaking with whales is something I think we'd all like to do.

My knowledge of it, and the Aleutian islands, is mainly from a Michael Palin show years back.

I expect that they have a real problem holding onto their young people because most will want to go to a college in the contiguous states and, upon discovering that summers are warm and winters mild, decide to stay.

Before I ditched the Telly Poll Tax I was watching Life below Zero about living in Alaska. It has a certain appeal. Many lower state citizens migrate to Alaska to get away from the crowds and madness. 

Could be a locality for 'DOSBODS Island'

Looks like most of it now on Youtube. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Alaska Male:Female = 108.5:100

Rhode Island Male:Female = 93.4:100

If I was starting out in life, I know which one I’d pick, and the crappy weather would be the least of the issues.

Alaska - hunting, fishing, kayaking, trapping, cutting up firewood, fresh air. 

Rhode island - Skinny Soy Latte coffee mornings , keeping up with the Jonees's, cycle lanes, BS. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Alaska - hunting, fishing, kayaking, trapping, cutting up firewood, fresh air. 

Rhode island - Skinny Soy Latte coffee mornings , keeping up with the Jonees's, cycle lanes, BS. 

Pretty much everyone who has holidayed in Alaska has subsequently moved there it seems. Could be confirmation bias but one thing's for sure, people that visit Alaska always go on about how stunning it is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Craig said:

A minor point, but wouldn't they be seeking independence from the UK, given that's where they currently reside?

My understanding from 'normal Shetlanders' is that they want independence from Scotland, but to remain in the UK.

This is really Shetland saying 'we want to de-risk Scotland deciding to go independent'.    Rather sensible of them, IMO.

Scotland, of course, couldn't easily survive independence without the Shetland oil fields, and thus Holyrood pretty much won't allow them to leave, no matter how democratic the request.  Westminster will claim that they're keeping out of it, but will be pulling strings behind the scenes.

[There's no particular love of Scotland for most in Shetland -- they certainly don't think of themselves as Scottish.  There's also an appreciation that they're not in a position to actually be independent.  They also, by and large, don't have any links to Norway (language, culture other than Viking stuff) other than it being where the closest railway station is.]

BTW, Shetland is a pretty nice place to visit.  In the summer.  When it isn't windy.  But it is a nice place.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dgul said:

My understanding from 'normal Shetlanders' is that they want independence from Scotland, but to remain in the UK.

This is really Shetland saying 'we want to de-risk Scotland deciding to go independent'.    Rather sensible of them, IMO.

Scotland, of course, couldn't easily survive independence without the Shetland oil fields, and thus Holyrood pretty much won't allow them to leave, no matter how democratic the request.  Westminster will claim that they're keeping out of it, but will be pulling strings behind the scenes.

[There's no particular love of Scotland for most in Shetland -- they certainly don't think of themselves as Scottish.  There's also an appreciation that they're not in a position to actually be independent.  They also, by and large, don't have any links to Norway (language, culture other than Viking stuff) other than it being where the closest railway station is.]

BTW, Shetland is a pretty nice place to visit.  In the summer.  When it isn't windy.  But it is a nice place.

That's a very interesting insight.

I think I'd feel the same if I was them; I wouldn't like to live under SNP rule because they are prone to SJW extremism and would be also throwing my hat in with the UK excluding Scotland if it ever came to that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Shetland is a bit small for independence. Sark will be up to it next.

Well, it is 1/3rd of the size of Andorra, and on par with San Morino.  So, it is in the scope of 'independent, but very much needs a large, strong, close, friendly ally'.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 201p said:

I read the title and I laughed out loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0eflYLkI4A

that link in your sig is joyous. Good times, perhaps the best of times, arguably the height of our civilisation before all else fell away. particularly poignant in light of what we now face.

And all the time we were dancing, laughing, kissing and dancing some more, the bad guys were beavering away to bring us to this day.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...