DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Piano: Courses / Apps / Tuition etc that helps one learn to read chords in Fake Books fluently.

Hi Dosbodders,

I rarely venture beyond Off Topic, but I thought I might tap the DosBods mind for some suggestions.

I understand the rudiments and theory of music. I know a few chords on the guitar. I understand how chords are constructed. I have quite a good ear - I can recognise triads and most kinds of seventh chords, and can recognise a dominant thirteenth with a flat ninth pretty easily. I can noodle around on a piano, but not well.

What I'd really like to do is find some kind of course/app/tuition/YouTube Channel that will help me to become fluent in interpreting and playing [ON A PIANO OR OTHER KEYBOARD] chords from Fake books/Chord names etc. and to move and progress fluently between different chords, giving me fluency in playing with appropriate spacings and inversions and arpeggiation and so on. (Rather than just playing simple block chords).

Any thoughts on suitable aids? I've had a glance at a few, eg Playground Sessions, Improvise for Real, Thomas Forschbach, but I thought it might be worth consulting the DBH   (DosBods Hivemind).

I'm not looking to improve my sight reading, just increase fluency in chord reading and playing on a piano or similar keyboard.

Edited by DocH
  • DocH changed the title to Piano: Courses / Apps / Tuition etc that helps one learn to read chords in Fake Books fluently.

When I was learning piano, I found 'Boogie Woogie Hanon' useful and fun.

It's progressively more difficult 12 bar exercises, all in the key of C. You're expected to figure out any transpositions yourself. Which is not difficult with the 3 chord trick. Once you've got the first 3 chords, eg. C/F/G, learning D means you can play G/C/D etc.

The further you get with it, the more variations of a chord you can play.

25 minutes ago, jm51 said:

When I was learning piano, I found 'Boogie Woogie Hanon' useful and fun.

It's progressively more difficult 12 bar exercises, all in the key of C. You're expected to figure out any transpositions yourself. Which is not difficult with the 3 chord trick. Once you've got the first 3 chords, eg. C/F/G, learning D means you can play G/C/D etc.

The further you get with it, the more variations of a chord you can play.

Sounds cool n incremental. Thanks.