• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
gibbon

Why are the So-Called BBC such arseholes?

1 hour ago, The Generation Game said:

Speaking of cooks (well, chefs), the best Indian takeaway programme on BBC2 last night was won by a white fella from Brighton against two of Bangladeshi origin. My jaw nearly hit the ground. 

Not sure where that leaves the visa argument. 

It's always been about cheap labour happy to work unsociable hours on minimum wage; the idea that only south Asians can cook a decent curry would get shot down if it was that only British people can cook a decent roast dinner.

7 hours ago, Libspero said:

At the risk of ending up on the Troll thread,  the BBC went up in my estimations ever so slightly this week.

BBC politics aside,   they seem to have started making some half decent documentaries again..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06csy8c

"The Engine That Powers The World"

All about the history of the diesel engine and (to me) a very interesting watch.    If they could just replace half of the usual dross with more quality programming like this I could forgive them being such a bunch of government mouth-piece hippies. 

There was also the one at Christmas about why the industrial revolution started in the UK. Oh, and Jonathan Meades on Fascist architecture.

The thing for me about the BBC is that they do make a hell of a lot of really good TV and radio but then have a sanctimonious left wing front to a lot of other stuff that I find massively off putting.

1 hour ago, The Generation Game said:

Speaking of cooks (well, chefs), the best Indian takeaway programme on BBC2 last night was won by a white fella from Brighton against two of Bangladeshi origin. My jaw nearly hit the ground. 

Not sure where that leaves the visa argument. 

Most indian (bangladeshis) are terrible these days.

Its very hard to get a non rank takeaway.

Just now, spygirl said:

Most indian (bangladeshis) are terrible these days.

Its very hard to get a non rank takeaway.

What you never been to "Lord Harpole" (bless his soul) Curry Hell

Just now, MrPin said:

What you never been to "Lord Harpole" (bless his soul) Curry Hell

Id put that in the dire sh1thole category.

Curry hell was just some chillies fried in a cup of oil.

I like indian food. But indian indians are few and far between.

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

Id put that in the dire sh1thole category.

Curry hell was just some chillies fried in a cup of oil.

I like indian food. But indian indians are few and far between.

It was a hot as you wanted, and you had a dangerous shit in the morning after!

25 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I see the #vilebbc using the Lloyds of London 'story' to stir up resentment and disquiet from the Remoaners.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39441035

Only upon closer inspection it appears to be merely a subsidiary, with only 1-2% of their workforce going there.

The European market has always been tiny for Lloyd's - 10% or so - the big money is in the US, aviation, shipping, and war / terrorism cover.

It makes sense to open a small fully compliant office in the EU and that is basically job done, one day after Article 50.  Well done Lloyd's.

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

The European market has always been tiny for Lloyd's - 10% or so - the big money is in the US, aviation, shipping, and war / terrorism cover.

It makes sense to open a small fully compliant office in the EU and that is basically job done, one day after Article 50.  Well done Lloyd's.

Yes and the growth (and money) is in the middle east and asia.

5 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Yes and the growth (and money) is in the middle east and asia.

I suppose it must be.

My Lloyd's days were those of the spiral, years that couldn't close, and names going bankrupt.

Back then the Chinese all rode bikes and Wham were the first western band to play a concert there.

I can't help but think that, if I were your average Chinese person, I would be hugely hacked off by how the whole country has turned into Hong Kong -slave boxes, big factories, everything concreted over - in less than thirty years.

5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I suppose it must be.

My Lloyd's days were those of the spiral, years that couldn't close, and names going bankrupt.

Back then the Chinese all rode bikes and Wham were the first western band to play a concert there.

I can't help but think that, if I were your average Chinese person, I would be hugely hacked off by how the whole country has turned into Hong Kong -slave boxes, big factories, everything concreted over - in less than thirty years.

Luckily for Lloyd's they put in some proper oversight to expose the hidden risks, investment driven by large multinationals now - got to think there has been over investment (largely thanks to no returns elsewhere and interest rate suppression) could be some big news if some catastrophe struck in some markets though if they have been prudent that would pass onto the reinsurers.

Different mindset apparently in China, the Chinese positively thrive in high population density situations and prefer it that way.

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

These are my thoughts too. IIRC they couldn't move further into Europe even if they wanted to as the Americans are their biggest customers and they don't speak anything but English - maybe a smattering of Spanish but you get the point. 

7 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

These are my thoughts too. IIRC they couldn't move further into Europe even if they wanted to as the Americans are their biggest customers and they don't speak anything but English - maybe a smattering of Spanish but you get the point. 

Language used to be more of a barrier in some ways- hell of a lot of natural speakers of all European countries now resident in London, so translation not so much an issue/cost and the production pipeline is becoming more automated with inbuilt translated paperwork to cover local requirements. 

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I suppose it must be.

Interesting conundrum did China take Hong Kong back from the West or were the West really taking the whole of China.

That very short period of time of 1996/7 of New Labour, returning Hong Kong, building society demutualisations, Princess Di's death was very much ground zero for much of life's current shitness.

On 3/29/2017 at 22:55, TheBlueCat said:

There was also the one at Christmas about why the industrial revolution started in the UK. Oh, and Jonathan Meades on Fascist architecture.

The thing for me about the BBC is that they do make a hell of a lot of really good TV and radio but then have a sanctimonious left wing front to a lot of other stuff that I find massively off putting.

I agree. This is why the BBC should be sold off. I will happily pay a subscription for it's better services, ie the ones which are not infected with it's lefty SJW multicultural shit. Even Dr Who's new companion will be gay. Balls to the BBC.

2 minutes ago, Tabasco Kid said:

I agree. This is why the BBC should be sold off. I will happily pay a subscription for it's better services, ie the ones which are not infected with it's lefty SJW multicultural shit. Even Dr Who's new companion will be gay. Balls to the BBC.

Is it going to be that walliams bloke?

12 minutes ago, One percent said:

Is it going to be that walliams bloke?

No, it's a gay woman.

1 hour ago, One percent said:

Ah, my bad. Is that to pull in all the blokes and teenage boys then?

I guess so.

While we're discussing Doctor Who, I few years ago I sold something on eBay and the buyer collected it. I always Google strangers before letting them into my house, turns out this guy was an avid Doctor Who fan, the local newspaper had an article on how he had to move to a bigger council house because his house full of Doctor Who memorabilia was creating a fire hazard. Very strange indeed.

I swear people think I'm making it when I tell them this, or the even better one, who collected my old kitchen. He was accused of murdering his ex-girlfriend (but acquitted).

1 minute ago, spunko2010 said:

I guess so.

While we're discussing Doctor Who, I few years ago I sold something on eBay and the buyer collected it. I always Google strangers before letting them into my house, turns out this guy was an avid Doctor Who fan, the local newspaper had an article on how he had to move to a bigger council house because his house full of Doctor Who memorabilia was creating a fire hazard. Very strange indeed.

I swear people think I'm making it when I tell them this, or the even better one, who collected my old kitchen. He was accused of murdering his ex-girlfriend (but acquitted).

Ooh err.  You need to be careful spunko, seems like you are attracting some odd bods with you adverts for selling.  Mind, fleabay does seem to be over represented in the nutter department 

20 minutes ago, One percent said:

Ooh err.  You need to be careful spunko, seems like you are attracting some odd bods with you adverts for selling.  Mind, fleabay does seem to be over represented in the nutter department 

I also had this very odd 'lady' turn up in a garish pink van to collect my old dishwasher. 'She' was about 6ft tall, built like a stallion, and lugged the (90KG?) dishwasher by herself into the van...

Not quite as good as the others but, the other one that stands out is the man who I sold my old armchair to (for about £20, the tightwad). He knocked on my door, I opened it, and he just barged in without saying a word or making eye contact... Very alarming. He was quite pleasant once he got talking, but not the best start to proceedings...  His wife/partner was outside just walking around staring into space the whole time too.

I don't do eBay collections any more...

7 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I also had this very odd 'lady' turn up in a garish pink van to collect my old dishwasher. 'She' was about 6ft tall, built like a stallion, and lugged the (90KG?) dishwasher by herself into the van...

LOL.

For the record, as I refer to myself as van lady, it wasn't me! I'm only 5ft 6 and my van is not pink!

Edit: and I ain't built like a stallion either 😁

Edited by Economic Exile

1 minute ago, spunko2010 said:

xD  are you sure it wasn't a yellow van?  

I once put a car on auto trader. A woman phoned wanted to buy it.  Silly offer and then gave a sob story. I replied that I couldn't sell for that price whatever her circumstances. She then tried to play the race card and said that I wouldn't sell it to her coz she was black. Seriously. 

How the feck would I know that over the phone?  It kind of put me off selling to the general public as there is no accounting for stupid 

1 minute ago, Economic Exile said:

LOL.

For the record, as I refer to myself as van lady, it wasn't me! I'm only 5ft 6 and my van is not pink!

Is it yellow?

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

xD  are you sure it wasn't a yellow van?  

I once put a car on auto trader. A woman phoned wanted to buy it.  Silly offer and then gave a sob story. I replied that I couldn't sell for that price whatever her circumstances. She then tried to play the race card and said that I wouldn't sell it to her coz she was black. Seriously. 

How the feck would I know that over the phone?  It kind of put me off selling to the general public as there is no accounting for stupid 

Is it yellow?

No not yellow either.

Im thinking of getting it tartan wrapped 🤔