• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

gibbon

Why are the So-Called BBC such arseholes?

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I have had two "we called when you were out" cards.  In both cases I was actually in, working from home, and they neither knocked at the door nor rang the bell.  I have read that these are delievered by a meter reading company from an address list when they're doing their rounds.

Same here Franky. I stopped paying at the end of 2012 as I could see how far left the Beeb had fallen then. I didn't hear anything from them for six months since paying by DD you are always six months in advance (which I didn't realise until it was too late to ask for a refund). I then started getting phone calls (I'd get them to identify themselves before telling them to fuck off). That lasted about two weeks. Then the threat-o-grams started coming, in my name to begin with. It soon changed to 'The Legal Occupier' after short while. I still get them once a month. They go straight in the burn bag.

I've had two visits that I'm aware of. Had a knock on the door at 8am one Thursday morning, back in 2013. I was still in bed and couldn't be arsed to get up. When I eventually ventured downstairs I found a red 'We called' card on the mat. A few days later, I received a bill for my electric/gas from an actual reading that I never provided. As you said, meter readers must be doubling up as licence inspectors. I had another red card through the letterbox later that year but nothing since. None of my recent leccy providers seem to employ meter readers so I doubt I'll be seeing a goon again anytime soon.

I do try to encourage as many people as I can to ditch the licence fee but the normies programming is strong. Mindless sheep the lot of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TheNoSnowMan said:

Same here Franky. I stopped paying at the end of 2012 as I could see how far left the Beeb had fallen then. I didn't hear anything from them for six months since paying by DD you are always six months in advance (which I didn't realise until it was too late to ask for a refund). I then started getting phone calls (I'd get them to identify themselves before telling them to fuck off). That lasted about two weeks. Then the threat-o-grams started coming, in my name to begin with. It soon changed to 'The Legal Occupier' after short while. I still get them once a month. They go straight in the burn bag.

I've had two visits that I'm aware of. Had a knock on the door at 8am one Thursday morning, back in 2013. I was still in bed and couldn't be arsed to get up. When I eventually ventured downstairs I found a red 'We called' card on the mat. A few days later, I received a bill for my electric/gas from an actual reading that I never provided. As you said, meter readers must be doubling up as licence inspectors. I had another red card through the letterbox later that year but nothing since. None of my recent leccy providers seem to employ meter readers so I doubt I'll be seeing a goon again anytime soon.

I do try to encourage as many people as I can to ditch the licence fee but the normies programming is strong. Mindless sheep the lot of them.

I think it's slowly changing.

I didn't know anybody without a licence in RL prior to stopping mine.  I now know one and also the people who know me now know somebody without a licence.  It sometimes comes up at work though I say I don't have a telly rather than focusing upon the licence, and say that it's because there's only rubbish on rather than saying that I refuse to fund the So-Called BBC.

I would parallel in with van and alternative living.  I knew nobody who didn't live in a house or flat up to about ten years' ago so I wouldn't have considered it either.

Since then I have known two people who lived in vans and one who lived on a boat in a boatyard.  All full time workers, all doing it because housing costs were so high and prepared to have a small amount of discomfort for a huge financial saving.

These are all people of a similar age to me.  I expect both not having a licence and alternative living are becoming relatively common amongst the under thirties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TheNoSnowMan said:

I do try to encourage as many people as I can to ditch the licence fee but the normies programming is strong. Mindless sheep the lot of them.

I don't like it at all, but I do have a TV and don't want to live like a fugitive in my own home, so it's just one of those things I have to wear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My experience is slightly different. I cancelled my licence at the end of December using the TV licensing website telling them I no longer needed one as I don’t watch live TV or use the So-Called BBC app. They sent me a free “no TV” licence that lasts until the end of 2020. No doubt they will be in touch then.

They did threaten that someone might call round to check but that would be a wasted journey as they aren’t getting in!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, eight said:

I don't like it at all, but I do have a TV and don't want to live like a fugitive in my own home, so it's just one of those things I have to wear.

I've had one TV licence guy come round. I heard a knock on the door and looked through the peephole and saw someone that i "knew" was the TV guy. I only opened the door as i had a plumber in and i would have looked a weirdo if i hadn't answered the door. The conversation went like this:

Me: Hi

TV Guy: Are you Great Guy?

Me: Who wants to know?

TV Guys looks at nameplate on my door saying "Great Guy". 

TV Guy: You are Great Guy?

Me: Who wants to know?

TV Guy: It's about your TV.

Me: Sorry. Shuts door.

 

If you don't have family members that feel compelled to sign forms and let people in there is little the So-Called BBC can do. TBH, i hate the SJW bullshit the So-Called BBC produces and i feel it's a duty not to fund them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

My experience is slightly different. I cancelled my licence at the end of December using the TV licensing website telling them I no longer needed one as I don’t watch live TV or use the So-Called BBC app. They sent me a free “no TV” licence that lasts until the end of 2020. No doubt they will be in touch then.

They did threaten that someone might call round to check but that would be a wasted journey as they aren’t getting in!

I haven't done this as a point of principle.

I don't have a requirement for a licence and therefore I refuse to interact with the body that issues them purely because they have the effrontery to assume that I am breaking the law and the onus is upon me to repeatedly prove to them that I am not so doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I've had one TV licence guy come round. I heard a knock on the door and looked through the peephole and saw someone that i "knew" was the TV guy. I only opened the door as i had a plumber in and i would have looked a weirdo if i hadn't answered the door. The conversation went like this:

Me: Hi

TV Guy: Are you Great Guy?

Me: Who wants to know?

TV Guys looks at nameplate on my door saying "Great Guy". 

TV Guy: You are Great Guy?

Me: Who wants to know?

TV Guy: It's about your TV.

Me: Sorry. Shuts door.

 

If you don't have family members that feel compelled to sign forms and let people in there is little the So-Called BBC can do. TBH, i hate the SJW bullshit the So-Called BBC produces and i feel it's a duty not to fund them.

This is the problem.

This is why a disproportionate amount of women end up in court for non-payment; they do not generally have this awkward streak that wil quite happily do as you did or take pleasure in ripping up their silly letters as I do.

My ex was very unhappy that I refused to ign up to their register as to why I didn't have a licence, which I wouldn't upon principle as per my post above.

She neither understood the principle nor why I wouldn't do it; I know if an inspector had called when she was in then she would have let them in.  There is a widespread eagerness to please / complaint gene in women.

I explained that it wouldn't matter because we quite legally did not need to have a licence but I could tell that she was worried about it every time the subject came up.

Maybe there's an awkward / independent streak gene in men that actually relishes this sort of confrontation whilst women shy away from it.  Certtainly every TV isnpector video I've seen on YouTube has been shot by a man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

 

 

I did have a go at working out one time how many non-licence payers receiving these letters it would take for the cost of them to be an additional licence fee and it was disappointingly small; like one for every twenty licences.  I had to make an assumption on the postal rate they were being charged.

I have had two "we called when you were out" cards.  In both cases I was actually in, working from home, and they neither knocked at the door nor rang the bell.  I have read that these are delievered by a meter reading company from an address list when they're doing their rounds.

I haven't had a visit from a proper investigator.  Either they haven't got around to me, though it is five years, or being nosy types if there has been a visit they would have been able to see into my front room after climbing the steps and realised that I do not have a telly there so am unlikely to have one and have made a note on my file.

However small the cost it is still a significant bonus :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

 

 

I did have a go at working out one time how many non-licence payers receiving these letters it would take for the cost of them to be an additional licence fee and it was disappointingly small; like one for every twenty licences.  I had to make an assumption on the postal rate they were being charged.

I have had two "we called when you were out" cards.  In both cases I was actually in, working from home, and they neither knocked at the door nor rang the bell.  I have read that these are delievered by a meter reading company from an address list when they're doing their rounds.

I haven't had a visit from a proper investigator.  Either they haven't got around to me, though it is five years, or being nosy types if there has been a visit they would have been able to see into my front room after climbing the steps and realised that I do not have a telly there so am unlikely to have one and have made a note on my file.

Good number crunching but i think losing the cost of 1 licence fee to every twenty is a pretty good return and not small at all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I haven't done this as a point of principle.

I don't have a requirement for a licence and therefore I refuse to interact with the body that issues them purely because they have the effrontery to assume that I am breaking the law and the onus is upon me to repeatedly prove to them that I am not so doing.

I only did it as I’d been paying for a licence for years and wanted to let them know I’d cancelled the direct debit. 

The licence to not have a licence was ridiculous and did rub me up the wrong way. I don’t intend to respond to them ever again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cancelled my TV licence and sold my telly in 2015 as a protest over the So-Called BBC's reporting of the migrant crisis in Hungary.

It coincided with me moving to a new house; when I moved in I got a letter asking me to pay my TV licence but I just ticked some box or other declaring I had no telly and sent it back. I've never heard anything since; I wonder if it' s because I'm quite a long way out in the sticks and they just don't have anyone around to hassle me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know if the So-Called BBC licence goons can access Sky records?

After the shit they served yesterday Mrs Flight and I are in agreement that we can avoid live TV from now on - but we do have sky.

Now I could argue that this is for sky movies and the box sets etc BUT I also have sky sports. Hard to justify that since it is all live.

We have it so that my son can log in from America on his laptop using my account and watch the golf etc.

It is not the actual money - I just want to stop funding these wankers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Does anyone know if the So-Called BBC licence goons can access Sky records?

After the shit they served yesterday Mrs Flight and I are in agreement that we can avoid live TV from now on - but we do have sky.

Now I could argue that this is for sky movies and the box sets etc BUT I also have sky sports. Hard to justify that since it is all live.

We have it so that my son can log in from America on his laptop using my account and watch the golf etc.

It is not the actual money - I just want to stop funding these wankers.

 

We are in the same boat. The last remaining BBC output we were watching was Holby City but even that has jumped the shark in recent weeks with ridiculous storylines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Does anyone know if the So-Called BBC licence goons can access Sky records?

After the shit they served yesterday Mrs Flight and I are in agreement that we can avoid live TV from now on - but we do have sky.

Now I could argue that this is for sky movies and the box sets etc BUT I also have sky sports. Hard to justify that since it is all live.

We have it so that my son can log in from America on his laptop using my account and watch the golf etc.

It is not the actual money - I just want to stop funding these wankers.

 

If you are not watching it on any device in your house in the UK, but your son is in another country, I wouldn't have thought it was a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

Does anyone know if the So-Called BBC licence goons can access Sky records?

After the shit they served yesterday Mrs Flight and I are in agreement that we can avoid live TV from now on - but we do have sky.

Now I could argue that this is for sky movies and the box sets etc BUT I also have sky sports. Hard to justify that since it is all live.

We have it so that my son can log in from America on his laptop using my account and watch the golf etc.

It is not the actual money - I just want to stop funding these wankers.

 

Not sure on this one, you are using live broadcasting so probably would need a TV license.  I would ask over at the TV license resistance forum to clarify the legal situation.

My person thoughts are that the TV licence goons / capita salesgoons (as that is what they are, commission based salesgoons) would successfully argue that as your setup is receiving live broadcasting, regardless of who is accessing it (your son from overseas) then that property address should have a licence ...

Sack it off, save yourself £154 a year, fuck giving the paedophile supporting BBC money and the ilk of gary twatface and the whole lying dirty dirty smear merchants

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, JFK said:

Not sure on this one, you are using live broadcasting so probably would need a TV license.

and for this reason, I've just cancelled my BT TV subscription, we only used it for the occasional footy match, and season is over :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

Does anyone know if the So-Called BBC licence goons can access Sky records?

After the shit they served yesterday Mrs Flight and I are in agreement that we can avoid live TV from now on - but we do have sky.

Now I could argue that this is for sky movies and the box sets etc BUT I also have sky sports. Hard to justify that since it is all live.

We have it so that my son can log in from America on his laptop using my account and watch the golf etc.

It is not the actual money - I just want to stop funding these wankers.

 

 

20 minutes ago, JFK said:

Not sure on this one, you are using live broadcasting so probably would need a TV license.  I would ask over at the TV license resistance forum to clarify the legal situation.

My person thoughts are that the TV licence goons / capita salesgoons (as that is what they are, commission based salesgoons) would successfully argue that as your setup is receiving live broadcasting, regardless of who is accessing it (your son from overseas) then that property address should have a licence ...

Sack it off, save yourself £154 a year, fuck giving the paedophile supporting BBC money and the ilk of gary twatface and the whole lying dirty dirty smear merchants

It's certainly not clear.

Maybe post here for advice:

https://www.tvlicenceresistance.info/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=571d5f132372e23571d4d96aa1e0ee49&board=4.0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If/when the So-Called BBC has to radically cut back on its output due to falling licence fee revenues, you can bet the lefties will moan about how 'our wonderful BBC' (for some its almost on a par with the NHS) has been ruined by rise of the far right brainwashing people into not paying. Conveniently forgetting that the quality of its output had been in decline for years if not decades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.