DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Crazy markups

Does anyone else ever browse Alibaba.com just to see how much the wholesale costs are for certain products?

Here is an example. I was speaking to a friend who had paid £1200 (!) for a pram by a company called Egg. He sent me a photo of it, and it looks exactly like this.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/universal-egg-baby-stroller-3-in_62236790500.html

It has the same features, it's basically a clone. But it costs £50 wholesale (doesn't include import fees, shipping, taxes mind. Even with those included I can't see it being over £100).

So a £1200 product that the wholesale is buying from probably 10% of that. This seems like a huge markup to me, but now that I'm checking things on Alibaba it seems to be de rigeur.

I have spent the last hour going through all my recent, large purchases and most of them are on Alibaba for fuck all. For example, I paid £45 for a dog bed, and the EXACT same one is on there for £6.

Not really much point to this thread but I just wondered if anyone else ever noses for prices on Alibaba? xD

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Different business models. Because we'll aim to turn and burn a pallet for £200.00-400.00 (our average is about £300) net profit a pallet and would aim to knock out 10-20 pallets a day. Our business m

That was going to be part of my post earlier. I told my friend about this Chinese pram and sent him a link, he tried to suggest it had lesser features to his pram but I pointed out that they're identi

I set up an e-commerce company around 2001. We sold wireless equipment bought from Shenzhen. We bought our best selling equipment for approx. 4-5  GBP each direct from the factory. We could sell each

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, spunko said:

Does anyone else ever browse Alibaba.com just to see how much the wholesale costs are for certain products?

Here is an example. I was speaking to a friend who had paid £1200 (!) for a pram by a company called Egg. He sent me a photo of it, and it looks exactly like this.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/universal-egg-baby-stroller-3-in_62236790500.html

It has the same features, it's basically a clone. But it costs £50 wholesale (doesn't include import fees, shipping, taxes mind. Even with those included I can't see it being over £100).

So a £1200 product that the wholesale is buying from probably 10% of that. This seems like a huge markup to me, but now that I'm checking things on Alibaba it seems to be de rigeur.

I have spent the last hour going through all my recent, large purchases and most of them are on Alibaba for fuck all. For example, I paid £45 for a dog bed, and the EXACT same one is on there for £6.

Not really much point to this thread but I just wondered if anyone else ever noses for prices on Alibaba? xD

Not sure how that site works. I’ve stumbled on it though. Do you have to buy in bulk or is it like amazon or fleabay?  

Just now, goldbug9999 said:

Have had a nosy a couple of times, generally havn't found them to be significantly cheaper than ebay sellers at least for chinese electronics.

OK so there initially appeared to be a massive price gap when doing a general search but as soon as you ask for actual quotes from suppliers the price shoots up to ebay-20% ish so just not worth it.

16 minutes ago, spunko said:

There's a driveway cleaning product called 'wet and forget', the active ingredient is benzalkonium chloride.

If you work it out you're paying about £70/kg for the active ingredient, which is available on Ali-baba as an 80% solution for about $1/kg. 

tis interesting these new global 'masters of manufacturing' ie China and India BUT they're a bunch of cunts! :P

ie try and fly over there, buy a motorbike and ride it back to Europe.....no no no, can't do that.....can't even register the thing in your name, never mind get it out the country.....

I'd buy an ebike with a M800 motor like this out of interest https://borita.en.alibaba.com/product/62260565332-818637732/2019_New_Style_9_Speed_Aluminum_Alloy_Ebike_36V_200W_Middle_Motor_Dual_Disc_Brake_700C_40C_Tyre_Electric_Bicycle.html

Actually I'd buy a container full of KTM/BMW motorbikes that are made in India if anyone has any contacts cos they build em for fook all over there......and sell em in Europe for a fortune!

Actually I'd be stuck with a container full of motorbikes cos of 'EU regs'.......bunch of cunts there too! xD

4 minutes ago, Mr Miyagi said:

Strict safety standards on prams etc you would have to sure i.e have one tested in the UK if you planned on selling them, not to mention potential trademarks and design issues.  

This is where they get you, it's the regs, sets a barrier to entry.

I thought about trying to import benzalkonium chloride and making my own version of wet and forget, but if it could be done for much cheaper someone would be doing it by now. 

7 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

This is where they get you, it's the regs, sets a barrier to entry.

I thought about trying to import benzalkonium chloride and making my own version of wet and forget, but if it could be done for much cheaper someone would be doing it by now. 

Even more onerous when you become the first importer into the EU, as it still is until next year as you are classed as the manufacturer and then you are into technical files, testing, CE marking to name but a few.

Edited by Mr Miyagi
29 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

There's a driveway cleaning product called 'wet and forget', the active ingredient is benzalkonium chloride.

If you work it out you're paying about £70/kg for the active ingredient, which is available on Ali-baba as an 80% solution for about $1/kg. 

Benzalkonium chloride should ensure your drive is free of SarsCov2 xD

I'd imagine a huge part of that £1200 is solely allocated to marketing. Honestly wouldn't surprise me if it cost them £300+ to acquire 1 customer/sell 1 pram. They'll need to be paying off a lot of influencers, mum magazines etc

When looking to buy something my buying process is aliexpress -> ebay -> amazon to try and avoid the "brand tax" 

Well...

If you want to get into this sort of thing, without some existing infrastructure, the only option would be something that’s going to deliver a volume of customers to you, so basically ebay.

We get rid of redundant inventory on ebay from time to time, so not really the same as the cost is written off already to a varying extent. We looked at selling regular inventory, that there was no problem moving through existing channels.

Basically, I think to be worthwhile selling a regular line on ebay for a £9.99 price point, inc delivery, it worked out the max cost of goods was £1.50. And that’s based on already having the warehousing infrastructure and a very competitive parcel/postage contract. The only extra input cost from existing resources being the picking and packing labour.

Then if someone’s selling on there at £9.95 you’ll probably virtually sell nothing. The only way to make then is working some scam around postal/vat fraud something like that. Got a feeling that pretty much every biggest seller on ebay success story that’s appeared in the papers has eventually been closed down by Royal Mail for fraud.

So it probably boils down to your comfort level at running some sort of racket over your Far East purchasing skills.

^I would say if you can sell something unique that is branded, by doing an exclusive deal direct with the manufacturer rather than trying to sell something else that you can pass on as a middle man in a long chain of middle men, than you have chance of success.

In a growing new market such as ebikes, or kits such as the ones made by bafang which are in short supply, I'd guess you could be profitable short to mid term, if you can get a good deal direct with the manufacturer. I bought two motors at £500 each, they aren't easily available right now and some sellers are demanding £1400 each.

Edited by 201p

The problem with the £10 item is the relative cost of shipping, even just moving up to £20 improves that.  But still, if you're an individual just looking for an easy game, it's just simpler to engage in some straight forward retail arbitrage and let the big box stores go through the trouble of getting you your stock.  

1 hour ago, spunko said:

A tip try searching for your chosen product but put the word Like before that product it makes the job a lot easier 

You will  find many big name brands in a different dress advertised as Like so and so  ,i used to do it  a bit with fishing reels the hard part is convincing people they were the same product especially so when you sell them for less than half the price 

1 hour ago, Mr Miyagi said:

Strict safety standards on prams etc you would have to sure i.e have one tested in the UK if you planned on selling them, not to mention potential trademarks and design issues.  

It tells you on the listing that they're compliant with various BS1xxx safety standards iirc.

2 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

A tip try searching for your chosen product but put the word Like before that product it makes the job a lot easier 

You will  find many big name brands in a different dress advertised as Like so and so  ,i used to do it  a bit with fishing reels the hard part is convincing people they were the same product especially so when you sell them for less than half the price 

That was going to be part of my post earlier. I told my friend about this Chinese pram and sent him a link, he tried to suggest it had lesser features to his pram but I pointed out that they're identical. He then started going on about brand value. 

Even when you point out an identical product to someone at a tenth of the price they don't want to believe it's true. Psychology of marketing is really weird.

7 minutes ago, spunko said:

It tells you on the listing that they're compliant with various BS1xxx safety standards iirc.

They (the Chinamen) said the same thing to a chap selling replacement pc laptop power supplies, well he was selling them until I cleared his warehouse of around 8,000 of them because they failed EU safety standards and made him recall all the ones that he had already sold.

13 minutes ago, spunko said:

That was going to be part of my post earlier. I told my friend about this Chinese pram and sent him a link, he tried to suggest it had lesser features to his pram but I pointed out that they're identical. He then started going on about brand value. 

Even when you point out an identical product to someone at a tenth of the price they don't want to believe it's true. Psychology of marketing is really weird.

Tell me about it ,carp anglers are  mental 

I bought from the same manufacture as all the big brand names use ,they were the exact same items the big brand names were selling, the items were being sold for close  to £1 each i bought 10k of each unpacked IIRC they were roughly 6 for a penny at that quantity i thought i would have no trouble selling them at five for £2 nope like fuck they wanted the ones in the fancy packet for a fiver a pack 

I did manage to sell them on ebay by the hundred but it took forever ,i should have just had the packing printed for the big brand names 

Edited by Long time lurking