DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Drinking whilst pregnant

News item this morning insisting that 'mother had a glass of wine during pregnancy' be included on all children's notes going forward to ensure affected children can (a) have treatment for fetal alcohol problems, (b) have stigma of bad parent and (c) be able to sue parent in later life?

PS: It took me three goes and the spell check to spell alchol right.

Just now, sarahbell said:

News item this morning insisting that 'mother had a glass of wine during pregnancy' be included on all children's notes going forward to ensure affected children can (a) have treatment for fetal alcohol problems, (b) have stigma of bad parent and (c) be able to sue parent in later life?

There's no actual direct evidence that drinking in small quantities harms the baby. None. Nada. Zip.

They're projecting damage on the basis that since a large amount of alcohol causes a large amount of damage (foetal alcohol syndrome) then a small amount must also cause proportionate damage. 

That's not always how biology works. You could equally argue that since alcohol has a hormetic effect the advice should be that expectant mothers should drink a glass of wine every night.

Being more sensible, what they should actually say is that we don't know if drinking in small quantities is damaging, but we would advise expectant mothers to limit alcohol consumption in any event due to risks from falls etc.

Basically don't get pissed.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

The voice of the extremist puritan rings loud.

I really dislike this sort of crap because it makes the normal mother who may have the odd glass of wine feel really guilty whereas the chav mother will keep doing the drugs and Special Brew regardless.

As I've said before I find these message as pointless as "Take Your Litter Home" signs: anyone who would be influenced by the sign is already going to be taking their litter home; whereas chav Wayne will try to hit the sign with his empty MaccyD bag as he drives past.

I can't find the link but there was a radio piece this morning about a Cornwall organisation being given something like £100k to "educate" people in Cornwall about beach plastic pollution; and again those who will take any notice of this "education" won't be littering the beaches with plastic in the first place.

It's all such a waste of time and money.

I cannot rant sufficiently in type, I could only express my opinions on this adequately in real life. Loudly.

But all of the above.

I really am at War with these people now.

Just now, 5min OCD speculator said:

you still can't, are you pissed again? :P

the three roots of all evil are religion, money and then booze....

Amen brothers and sisters, peace be with you all and smoke a joint when you can xD

My typing wasn't coming together to hit the right keys let alone in the right order. Desktop. 

My phone automatically corrects my spelling though. Alcohol! See!

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

The voice of the extremist puritan rings loud.

I really dislike this sort of crap because it makes the normal mother who may have the odd glass of wine feel really guilty whereas the chav mother will keep doing the drugs and Special Brew regardless.

As I've said before I find these message as pointless as "Take Your Litter Home" signs: anyone who would be influenced by the sign is already going to be taking their litter home; whereas chav Wayne will try to hit the sign with his empty MaccyD bag as he drives past.

I can't find the link but there was a radio piece this morning about a Cornwall organisation being given something like £100k to "educate" people in Cornwall about beach plastic pollution; and again those who will take any notice of this "education" won't be littering the beaches with plastic in the first place.

It's all such a waste of time and money.

I don't disagree that drinking during pregnancy is (mostly) a bad idea but this is a bit chilling that they want expectant mothers to confess and they will write it all down. Most ppl know it's bad and try not to.  This will not even lead to better information on he hazards of alcohol on the unborn child as some mums will lie and others will feel guilty or consider aborting? While the real problem drinkers will simply not care. Just more social control and paperwork.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

£100k to "educate" people in Cornwall about beach plastic pollution

A list of upcoming nightclasses at the local college came through my letterbox. There was nothing that would be of any use to anyone in advancing humankind, but there was a course on reducing plastic pollution. I did wonder whether this could be a kerching moment because, if it is the latest bandwagon, companies will be flailing to appoint a head of plastic minimization to virtue signal and show compliance, and very few people will have a qualification, even an NVQ level 1 !

2 hours ago, SpectrumFX said:

since alcohol has a hormetic effect the advice should be that expectant mothers should drink a glass of wine every night.

Interesting point. The lowest point of the J-curve of risk is not zero units. Dame Sadly ignored this detail. The same risk curve could apply to the foetus, but I bet there would be no funding for such a study. Why look for the answer when you suspect the answer would be unacceptable?

1 hour ago, Craig said:

What about children who were conceived while the parents were under the influence of alcohol?

That's not drinking whilst pregnant that's pregnant whilst drinking. 

4 hours ago, sarahbell said:

C2H5OH

3 hours ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

I can't believe they aren't telling them not to sniff laughing gas too. 

Or to not breathe in Asbestos dust. 

Is there a form for that too? 

So no more gas and air during delivery. After all, delivery is a sort of Schrödinger's pregnancy state.

32 minutes ago, Libspero said:

It's symptomatic of living in a society with too many bored people with nothing better to do than create pointless paperwork for no other purpose than to employ other pointless people to read it.

If the state could just piss off and leave everyone alone,   that would be great.

Indeed. I fact, I reckon that all this PC shit can only exist in a wealthy society.

4 hours ago, ashestoashes said:

it's a few weeks before the pregnancy can be tested for so should be no drink before or after conception

The foetus isn't connected to the mother's blood supply until something like a couple of weeks after conception, so getting up the duff whilst pissed is fine.