DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Marine Traffic

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

you have to be a certain size, then you are obliged to have AIS installed. An inner tube is exempt.

I think that could be debatable..

Regulation 19 of SOLAS Chapter V - Carriage requirements for shipborne navigational systems and equipment 

The regulation requires AIS to be fitted aboard all ships of 300 gross tonnage and upwards engaged on international voyages, cargo ships of 500 gross tonnage and upwards not engaged on international voyages and all passenger ships irrespective of size. 

Though I expect that's the last of their concerns..

1 hour ago, spygirl said:

Boats are for puffs and girls.

I track sharks

https://www.ocearch.org/tracker/?list

I often have a nose at this. Odd - showing nothing off the West Coast of the US.

More worrying are the two sharks which have swum across the Atlantic from the US to Portugal and who appear to now be doing a bit of sight-seeing on land.

10 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I often have a nose at this. Odd - showing nothing off the West Coast of the US.

More worrying are the two sharks which have swum across the Atlantic from the US to Portugal and who appear to now be doing a bit of sight-seeing on land.

I look for great whites.

They get almost over, then go back.

I'd guess the only large prey in the middle if the Atlantic is too fast or too small.

There is a population in the Med.

I'd guess that when (not if) Blue fin return to Dogger bank then you'll see great whites in UK waters.

I use Marine Traffic, I'm a bit sad in that regard.

Last time I was over on the Isle of Man there was a fantastic app (www.bus-man.com/) that some local geek came up with that tracked the buses in real time (really cool and no more missed buses). The govt, of course, (buses govt owned) took advantage and didn't support the guy to develop it and keep it going.

A new app appears (ZipTrip), which was frankly shite in comparison (never worked for me), and our guy was somewhat shafted. Brown envelopes?

15 minutes ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Nice to see we ruin the waters as much as the air. 

Mostly empty, the oceans are enormous.

30 Days Timelapse at Sea

Apparently the English Channel is one of the busiest bodies of water in the world and so relatively dangerous yet bloody dingy's get across unharmed everyday.

Edited by JackieO

I have a mate I havent seen in a good while who lives in the USA.  He really wants to come to Australia with his wife, but he is terrified of flying.  So - I suggested he do that thing where you take a berth on a container ship and take 3 months to get here.

He was in process of booking when COVID hit.