DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

8 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Make sure you are fully topped up with Social Credit, probably ties in with the Spanish Government making it illegal for private individuals to generate their own electricity without official permission.

Didn't the power companies in LA want a tax on home photovoltaic generation?

I think we knew that this was coming.

And knowing that was primarily the reason I didn't bother signing up for the current smart meter as it was clear that it they would all need to be ripped out and replaced at considerable cost and waste.

This is the price to be paid for having built insufficient generating capacity to cover the natural variability of solar and wind power.

Even if not compulsory there will clearly be a big premium payable for not allowing National Grid to control your usage so I probably will accept one of these new ones; particularly as my heating is gas and if I get an EV it will be charged during the day by my solar panels.

Government mulls emergency measures that would see smart meters used to SWITCH OFF your electricity without warning or compensation

• Ofgem reviewing plans to give energy networks the ability to shut down domestic electricity supplies 
  • A new sort of smart meter would need to be installed in every home in the UK 
  • Would have the ability to switch off high usage devices such as electric vehicle chargers and central heating systems 
  • Sources close to discussions told us that government is 'open' to proposing legislation to support these powers 

•  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/bills/article-8706033/Smart-meters-used-switch-electricity-without-warning-compensation.html

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

I think we knew that this was coming.

And knowing that was primarily the reason I didn't bother signing up for the current smart meter as it was clear that it they would all need to be ripped out and replaced at considerable cost and waste.

This is the price to be paid for having built insufficient generating capacity to cover the natural variability of solar and wind power.

Even if not compulsory there will clearly be a big premium payable for not allowing National Grid to control your usage so I probably will accept one of these new ones; particularly as my heating is gas and if I get an EV it will be charged during the day by my solar panels.

The  other use case for this is cutting off the supply (cheaply and easily at the flip of a bit) for non payment - the industry already trying to position themselves for this with price increases.

4 minutes ago, onlyme said:

The  other use case for this is cutting off the supply (cheaply and easily at the flip of a bit) for non payment - the industry already trying to position themselves for this with price increases.

Can't see it.  I know somebody who worked for a power company back in the 70s and 80s and even then they had to jump through loads of hoops in order to cut people off for flagrant non-payment.

These days electricity is practically viewed as a human right.

5 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Can't see it.  I know somebody who worked for a power company back in the 70s and 80s and even then they had to jump through loads of hoops in order to cut people off for flagrant non-payment.

In the water industry in such cases they put (or used to) trickle flow valves in at the boundary, so the water wasn’t cut off (human right) but it would take all day to fill a bath. Could do the same for electricity and slow it down so all appliances are slower!

5 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

7 minutes ago, The Idiocrat said:

In the water industry in such cases they put (or used to) trickle flow valves in at the boundary, so the water wasn’t cut off (human right) but it would take all day to fill a bath. Could do the same for electricity and slow it down so all appliances are slower!

Both your points are moot once the oil runs out this Christmas...

XYY

5 hours ago, onlyme said:

It will be cutting your power if you make inappropriate comments on social media or Dosbods etc. Your SIM card will be blocked at the same time.

Last year or two I was bombarded with emails from my supplier about changing to a smart meter. Received a few letters too. Ignored them all and for a while they stopped.

For about six weeks now I’ve had around two emails a week 🙄

I’m not having a smart meter unless I’m forced to. I’d manage, for a while anyway, if my elec and gas was cut off.

Multi fuel stove, camping stoves and an old fashioned mangle. Ability to heat home, cook, heat water to wash self plus dishes etc and wring water out of washed clothing.

I’ve thought for ten years or so that power supplies aren’t a given thing hence I’ve done what I can to be a bit self sufficient.

This is stupid, that article is full of sh*t.....

The ability to cut off your supply has been built into "smart meters" right from the beginning, but as soon as they mention switching off specific devices, you know it's a load of crap. They couldn't do this without replacing your consumer unit.

And this.... "Electricity networks in Great Britain were not designed to accommodate the significant additional demand that certain consumer devices, such as electric vehicle chargers, presents."

Well no shit sherlock, us sensible folk have been saying this since TPTB and the media started promoted electric vehicles......

And surprise surprise, they don't mention the fact that things are already vulnerable to hackers, I mean seriously China could shut down half the UK in the blink of an eye.....

1 hour ago, The Idiocrat said:

In the water industry in such cases they put (or used to) trickle flow valves in at tsphe boundary, so the water wasn’t cut off (human right) but it would take all day to fill a bath. Could do the same for electricity and slow it down so all appliances are slower!

I've already done that to stop the teenage boy spending all day in the shower and the missus leaving the tap on.

2 hours ago, The Idiocrat said:

Years ago I read of a budget electricity tariff in France, the low price coming at the cost of having a low maximum power draw -- I think it tripped out if the household took too much. A scheme like that might be workable with smart appliances that knew the total load and were able to schedule themselves accordingly.

But it's the car charging that will probably create havoc. It's not as if the issue hasn't been foreseen by genuinely interested parties (not by the green lobby or by government obviously).

a bigger problem for the suppliers is managing the power factor and this is a case where they might want to switch all the fridges off in an area to improve the power factor, so when we have smart fridges that might be an option. A group of French households got together to do this, but it was banned by the authorities, think it was saving the households money.

Edited by ashestoashes
10 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

a bigger problem for the suppliers is managing the power factor and this is a case where they might want to switch all the fridges off in an area to improve the power factor, so when we have smart fridges that might be an option. A group of French households got together to do this, but it was banned by the authorities, think it was saving the households money.

Can you explain further?

1 hour ago, One percent said:

Dosbods way ahead of the curve on this one as per.  It’s why I haven’t let them install a smart meter.  Has any dosbodder actually got one?  A poll, if I could set it up, would be interesting. Then cmpare to the numbers for the general population.  

Afraid I do. 

1 minute ago, One percent said:

o.O  don’t you listen to anything on here?  Off to dosbods re-education camp for you.  xD

I had little choice. Previous supplier wouldn't take me on without a deposit and new supplier hoodwinked me into getting one. 

I aim to go solar at some point. I fact, rather than giving folk a £5k home improvement grant, they should have just brought back the free solar installations. I don't wish to earn money from feeding the grid, I just want to drastically reduce my bills and footprint on planet Earth