Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Puppy price inflation


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sister and her partner just got rid of their 11 year old dog because he didn't fit in with their newly acquired lifestyle of sitting in a field in west Wales in a touring caravan drinking 'cans'. He p

You are so right.   But it depends who is getting a rescue dog ... and why?   If you want an easy pet, get a goldfish or maybe a cat? Cos adopting a dog (pure bred or second hand m

My wee beauty. 

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, MrPin said:

The price of puppies has more than doubled during lockdown with dogs costing almost £1,900 on average.

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-54115646

 

I thought dogs were free, available from Battersea, after Alan Davies has "rescued" them

Everything has to be Instagram/other platform friendly now Mr Pin, so even the poor mutt must be whatever is fashionable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrPin said:

The price of puppies has more than doubled during lockdown with dogs costing almost £1,900 on average.

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-54115646

 

I thought dogs were free, available from Battersea, after Alan Davies has "rescued" them

And the rest...  i lost my lab in the middle of the lockdown due to old age. Now ready for a new one and they are 3k. o.O  name down with local breeder who gets excellent reviews and charging a lot less. Will need to wait until next year though. 

1 hour ago, Libspero said:

I'm sure there're plenty of cheap second hand ones by now..

Nah, the chancers are all over the web offering now not wanted dogs for silly money 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, One percent said:

And the rest...  i lost my lab in the middle of the lockdown due to old age. Now ready for a new one and they are 3k. o.O  name down with local breeder who gets excellent reviews and charging a lot less. Will need to wait until next year though. 

Why don't you get a free dog from a neighbour, who's lady dog has had too many babies, like in the olden days?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MrPin said:

Why don't you get a free dog from a neighbour, who's lady dog has had too many babies, like in the olden days?

Those days have long gone.  Have a look on here, even cross breeds are being offered at ridiculous prices

https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/search/?type_id=3&breed_id=116&advert_type=1&registered=1&results=20&sort=datenew#

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, One percent said:

Those days have long gone.  Have a look on here, even cross breeds are being offered at ridiculous prices

https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/search/?type_id=3&breed_id=116&advert_type=1&registered=1&results=20&sort=datenew#

This "dog shortage" phenomenon is very new, and I think totally bogus.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, One percent said:

And the rest...  i lost my lab in the middle of the lockdown due to old age. Now ready for a new one and they are 3k. o.O  name down with local breeder who gets excellent reviews and charging a lot less. Will need to wait until next year though. 

Nah, the chancers are all over the web offering now not wanted dogs for silly money 

We got our lab in Feb for £1000. No Kennel Club nonsense just a pup from a working line of dogs. The more you pay for a pup the less likely it is to be healthy IMO.

Rescue dogs are another matter entirely, most have serious behavioural problems. Don’t take it lightly.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

We got our lab in Feb for £1000. No Kennel Club nonsense just a pup from a working line of dogs. The more you pay for a pup the less likely it is to be healthy IMO.

Rescue dogs are another matter entirely, most have serious behavioural problems. Don’t take it lightly.

 

My lab was working stock, so incredibly healthy (when she wasn’t eating discarded food chucked by others in the forest to feed the squirrels “  9_9) she was 16 when the end came.  
 

decided to go with a smaller dog, so getting a WCS from a local breeder.  Cost is 1200 which, given inflation and ever tightening regulations, i think is fair.  

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

I've never understood why dogs come at a price but cats are generally free.

There seems no better rationale than "because that's how it is".

Have you got a cat recently?  They nw seem to charge for them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

I've never understood why dogs come at a price but cats are generally free.

There seems no better rationale than "because that's how it is".

It's only recently that designer cat breeds have become a thing. Bengal kittens and Persian kittens aren't cheap, you won't get them for less than £500 each at least.

The other thing with cats is, they rarely breed true, i.e. you could breed two Bengal cats but it's not guaranteed you'll get 'proper' Bengal kittens because they're basically all genetically mixed. Our tortoiseshell cat had kittens: a ginger, a tabby, a black longhaired, and some weird mix thing.

Back to dogs, I can only assume it's furlough money. No way do most people have access to £2k in cash otherwise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, spunko said:

It's only recently that designer cat breeds have become a thing. Bengal kittens and Persian kittens aren't cheap, you won't get them for less than £500 each at least.

The other thing with cats is, they rarely breed true, i.e. you could breed two Bengal cats but it's not guaranteed you'll get 'proper' Bengal kittens because they're basically all genetically mixed. Our tortoiseshell cat had kittens: a ginger, a tabby, a black longhaired, and some weird mix thing.

Sorry to tell you this but your cat is a dirty whore and the kittens have multiple fathers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MrPin said:

The price of puppies has more than doubled during lockdown with dogs costing almost £1,900 on average.

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-54115646

 

I thought dogs were free, available from Battersea, after Alan Davies has "rescued" them

you mentioned puppy prices in the future stockpiling thread are you pining for a warm tongue in your ear every morning ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...