• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
201p

Cruise ship ordered a blackout due to risk of pirates

Odd story. And this cruise ship, I think regulary docks at Southampton.

I'd think I grab something and be ready to fight!

---

Tourists on a luxury cruise were suddenly subject to a dusk-till-dawn blackout by the captain and ordered to go without the standard entertainment and trappings for ten days because of a “pirate threat”.

The 1,900 passengers aboard the Sea Princess, who had paid more than £30,000 for a 104-day world cruise departing from Sydney, were apparently stunned to learn that all curtains must be drawn and shutters closed as the vessel was turned into a “ghost ship”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/08/cruise-passengers-ordered-switch-lights-music-night-prepared/

Edited by 201p

I wonder what flavour these potential pirates, I suspect using the term 'pirates' is more acceptable than Muzzie terror attackers.

Looks like the passengers also amused themselves adequately.

'The threat prompted passengers to constantly alert officials on board of nearby ships that emerged on the horizon and were believed to be potential threats. '

I suspect it is more to do with the war in Yemen and the recent missile attacks on Saudi/Bahrainian/US naval vessels - the Iranian backed lot are apparently keen to sink a warship. I suspect a Western cruise ship would be just as good if not better.

The land-based missiles they have have quite a range. They have been targetting US warships but the US warships have apparently shot a few of them down. A cruise ship would be defenceless. It would also be briightly lit on the horizon.

I think I've a worse ship related tale of woe than this.

During the second Gulf war I was on a ship off the Iraqi coast. We were given a lecture about what would happen if we were caught by the Iranians. We were told "you'll probably get bum fucked. From scientific research 70% of guys get an erection when being bummed. Of those that get an erection 70% will ejaculate. So don't worry guys, if you ejaculate when getting bummed it doesn't mean you're gay".

Regarding this cruise ship. A couple of guys with assault rifles could stop most speedboat type crafts.

Historically most long distance travel by ship was at risk of the depredations of bloodthirsty local buccaneers. With a bit of marketing I reckon the cruise company could have charged extra for this piece of 'authenticity'...

How much for a side order of 'rum, buggery & the lash'?

12 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I think I've a worse ship related tale of woe than this.

During the second Gulf war I was on a ship off the Iraqi coast. We were given a lecture about what would happen if we were caught by the Iranians. We were told "you'll probably get bum fucked. From scientific research 70% of guys get an erection when being bummed. Of those that get an erection 70% will ejaculate. So don't worry guys, if you ejaculate when getting bummed it doesn't mean you're gay".

Regarding this cruise ship. A couple of guys with assault rifles could stop most speedboat type crafts.

Lecture by who?

That's the weirdest story I've read today.

16 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

During the second Gulf war I was on a ship off the Iraqi coast. We were given a lecture about what would happen if we were caught by the Iranians.

You would fight to the death to avoid any chance of a staring role in one of their Revolutionary Guard snuff movies especially these days when they all probably have HD Smart Phones.

45 minutes ago, 201p said:

Odd story. And this cruise ship, I think regulary docks at Southampton.

I'd think I grab something and be ready to fight!

---

Tourists on a luxury cruise were suddenly subject to a dusk-till-dawn blackout by the captain and ordered to go without the standard entertainment and trappings for ten days because of a “pirate threat”.

The 1,900 passengers aboard the Sea Princess, who had paid more than £30,000 for a 104-day world cruise departing from Sydney, were apparently stunned to learn that all curtains must be drawn and shutters closed as the vessel was turned into a “ghost ship”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/08/cruise-passengers-ordered-switch-lights-music-night-prepared/

Paying £30k, being subjected to a ten day blackout and getting fearful thoughts about being attacked isn't my idea of luxury.

Cruises seem to be big business. I know a local couple who save avidly to go on another cruise and one or two others that rave about their cruise holiday. One bought a painting on a cruise ship as an investment. FFS!

Doesn't appeal to me at all, all that snobbery dressing for the captain's dinner etc. Surely there will be a few people on the cruise that you can't stand and end up trying to avoid them?

I'd rather be on a smallish boat with people I know where there's a reasonable chance I can have a good time.

2 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

Paying £30k, being subjected to a ten day blackout and getting fearful thoughts about being attacked isn't my idea of luxury.

Cruises seem to be big business. I know a local couple who save avidly to go on another cruise and one or two others that rave about their cruise holiday. One bought a painting on a cruise ship as an investment. FFS!

Doesn't appeal to me at all, all that snobbery dressing for the captain's dinner etc. Surely there will be a few people on the cruise that you can't stand and end up trying to avoid them?

I'd rather be on a smallish boat with people I know where there's a reasonable chance I can have a good time.

Always seem like a floating butlins to me. I'm not convinced it is about getting dressed up to sit at the captains table, more chav central imho. Not that I've been on one... 

Just now, Economic Exile said:

I'll see you in the bar on the Stranraer to Belfast ferry then.

;)

XYY

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

Always seem like a floating butlins to me. I'm not convinced it is about getting dressed up to sit at the captains table, more chav central imho. Not that I've been on one... 

I've been on a couple and to be fair if you get the right deal they are a very cheap way of getting some decent relaxation time. You just need to avoid everyone else on board.

Cruises strike me as more 'all you can eat' than 'Captain's table' these days. Would be nice to get the opportunity to wear a cream dinner jacket though...

Edited by Panther

1 minute ago, Cunning Plan said:

I've been on a couple and to be fair if you get the right deal they are a very cheap way of getting some decent relaxation time. You just need to avoid everyone else on board.

Sounds like a week spent anywhere with the wife & kids....

1 minute ago, The XYY Man said:

I'll see you in the bar on the Stranraer to Belfast ferry then.

;)

XYY

About ten years or so ago I, one of my sisters and my two kids got up at dawn and drove two hours to get the ferry to Belfast to visit a cousin of my now deceased father.

When we got there the fucking ferry was cancelled due to wind! It was fucking freezing in Stranraer as we made the best of the day for the kids.

Yes I must get over to Ireland. It's on my to do list......after my grand coastal tour of Scotland!

xD

4 minutes ago, Horrified Onlooker said:

Sounds like a week spent anywhere with the wife & kids....

True. But we booked the kids a separate cabin (made the mistake of being on the same deck though) so actually had a ball.

If you are the sort of person that likes taking the piss out of your fellow travellers they are a target rich environment.

8 hours ago, Economic Exile said:

I was on an overnight cruise from glasgow to Liverpool this year. Tbh, it was really good.What I liked about it was:

1. Little fuss checking in, no massive security lines like an airport.

2. Amazing food.

3. Really relaxing just watching the coast go by.

4. Half decent comedian after meal.

i agree that dressing up for dinner isn't my thing and your table mates might be dicks.

10 hours ago, Economic Exile said:

I can just about cope with fuckwits on the Dover-Calais ferry (although it's a close run thing and usually take the tunnel these days) but 104 days trapped on a floating gin palace with static on every surface due to the high levels of polyester fills me with horror. 30k?????