DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Space - the final frontier

4 minutes ago, A tremendous # on the lung said:

Well I don't know much about it. But I just read that Carl Sagan once predicted that the number of planets in the Universe was 10,000 million billion? And I'm not sure if that covers the multiverse hypothesis? 

we must have some astronomy nerds on here?

Feynman said that there are 10^11 stars in just the milky way. Sagan guessed that there are 10^19 planets in the whole universe. 

Just add Drake's equation. 

In a few years, the Roman WFIRST should have been placed in orbit. One of it's capabilites is to count moon-sized exoplanets and larger using a light amplification from gravitational lensing when the star they are orbiting occludes another star.

The most important feature of the Roman telescope to the future of Earth is that they managed to find a woman scientist to name it after.

The universe is too big for our tiny minds to comprehend.

When they pointed Hubble at a blank bit of sky about 1/30th the width of the moon they saw 3000 new galaxies.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/phenomena/2015/04/24/when-hubble-stared-at-nothing-for-100-hours/

img.jpg

We live on Earth, one planet in this solar system around the sun. The sun is a star, one of many in this galaxy, called the Milky Way.

B73C6A04-9155-44EC-B80AA2B5E9E62508_source.jpg

^The Milky Way

This galaxy contains 250-500 billion stars. Can you imagine the the planets orbiting those stars.

This galaxy is only one of 100 to 200 billion galaxies in the universe. 

1 hour ago, 201p said:

We live on Earth, one planet in this solar system around the sun. The sun is a star, one of many in this galaxy, called the Milky Way.

^The Milky Way

This galaxy contains 250-500 billion stars. Can you imagine the the planets orbiting those stars.

1 hour ago, Nippy said:

#4 was Barnard's star when I last went. Has it transitioned?

I used to work with a guy who would go home each night and spend hours on his Amiga ferrying tomatoes from Earth to Barnard's Star in his spaceship. Occasionally he would get attacked by bigger spaceships, lose his cargo and have to start again.

I think he got divorced eventually.

Edited by The Masked Tulip
6 hours ago, 201p said:

^The Milky Way

A head melter indeed...

All this wondrous talk of billions of galaxies and trillions of stars (in a Brian Cox of D:Ream voice...) is just another sign of the cosmic parochialism that has hindered science since whenever. There will be an easy explanation for all of it, there always has been.

Edited by Panther