Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Diving - Hydroid Aquabreather - wow


Recommended Posts

I've never dived because I've never got on with snorkelling - I can't get the breathing right.

I got chatting to a couple on a cruise a few years ago and diving came up, they had learned for a trip to Australia, and they said that they had learned with full face helmets so breathing was not an issue.

This new product however is like something out of James Bond.  You get an hour's diving out of just the helmet and two chemical cannisters; one of which absorbs CO2 and the other which generates oxygen.

No tanks on your back, no mouth piece.  Wow.

Also no price yet but you can pre-order.

 

http://aquabreather.com/en/hydroid/overview/

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I've never dived because I've never got on with snorkelling - I can't get the breathing right.

I got chatting to a couple on a cruise a few years ago and diving came up, they had learned for a trip to Australia, and they said that they had learned with full face helmets so breathing was not an issue.

This new product however is like something out of James Bond.  You get an hour's diving out of just the helmet and two chemical cannisters; one of which absorbs CO2 and the other which generates oxygen.

No tanks on your back, no mouth piece.  Wow.

Also no price yet but you can pre-order.

 

http://aquabreather.com/en/hydroid/overview/

Looks interesting but one year on and no updates. There is a video with a guy in a pool, wonder if it's just someone who can breath for ages! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Bear Hug said:

Looks interesting but one year on and no updates. There is a video with a guy in a pool, wonder if it's just someone who can breath for ages! 

They did state in the linked video that it would take a year to gain official accreditation from the diving regulators in Europe and the US and WuFlu can't have helped that.

If it does pan out as a decent working product then I'm in because that sounds so great: stick it under your arm, walk down the beach and swim around underwater for a whole hour.

There is no price indication but I'm thinking it can't be a silly price.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

They did state in the linked video that it would take a year to gain official accreditation from the diving regulators in Europe and the US and WuFlu can't have helped that.

If it does pan out as a decent working product then I'm in because that sounds so great: stick it under your arm, walk down the beach and swim around underwater for a whole hour.

There is no price indication but I'm thinking it can't be a silly price.

Suggestion of $4k online. Mass produced this should come down. The cartridges need to be affordable too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Its all about Nitrogen in the blood innit. Give me a 12lt dumpy and some Posiden regs and i will go as deep as you like. I had some bad trouble at 18m once, mate got me out, it was scary as shit.

Ah, a fellow diver!  Additional concerns with O2 and CO2 malfunctions with rebreathers in addition to normal N.  Too much O2 is particularly toxic at depth.  

Edited by Harley
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Harley said:

Ah, a fellow diver!  Additional concerns with O2 and CO2 malfunctions with rebreathers in addition to normal N.  Too much O2 is particularly toxic at depth.  

I enjoyed diving, all within the PADI 40m limit. I expect you were doing far more dangerous stuff in a professional sense.

Ever been to Stoney Cove?

Edited by Bobthebuilder
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/09/2020 at 20:47, Bobthebuilder said:

Its all about Nitrogen in the blood innit. Give me a 12lt dumpy and some Posiden regs and i will go as deep as you like. I had some bad trouble at 18m once, mate got me out, it was scary as shit.

Never saw the point in really deep leisure diving - like being able to see about 1 metre infront of you. Id rather dive to 20 and see stuff. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Never saw the point in really deep leisure diving - like being able to see about 1 metre infront of you. Id rather dive to 20 and see stuff. 

 

 

Agree. All the best dives i have done have been 6m to 18m. Most of the sea life is in that range. Its also nice and relaxing, with a 12lt dumpy you can have a decent length dive and know you can get up pretty quick if you need to.

I started out all techie, drysuit, double tanks, wing, lights etc. Ended up with a semi-dry, bcd with weights in, 10lt cylinder and did shallow solo dives off beaches like Brighton and Swanage. (i am not advocating solo diving).

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Agree. All the best dives i have done have been 6m to 18m. Most of the sea life is in that range. Its also nice and relaxing, with a 12lt dumpy you can have a decent length dive and know you can get up pretty quick if you need to.

I started out all techie, drysuit, double tanks, wing, lights etc. Ended up with a semi-dry, bcd with weights in, 10lt cylinder and did shallow solo dives off beaches like Brighton and Swanage. (i am not advocating solo diving).

I got to Sports Diver back in 2010. Did a few 40m plus unoffical dives. Pointless really - just murky and spent half the time for Deco stops coming back up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kurt Barlow said:

I got to Sports Diver back in 2010. Did a few 40m plus unoffical dives. Pointless really - just murky and spent half the time for Deco stops coming back up. 

Some nice boat dives in the channel that are well worth doing. At low tide 20m max.

If you ever want a really good shallow beach dive then have a look at Tyneham Bay in Dorset, its a marine nature reserve and would you believe it, fish and lots and plants, highly recommended.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...