DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Planning for organised mass civil disobedience

Looks like Boris is going to announce some stricter rules today, possibly a second lockdown.

I've been mulling over ways that mass civil disobedience could be organised, but I'm not sure how.

Something like, for example, flashmob type gatherings where the message goes out something like 'what a lovely day for a walk in Hyde Park at noon, perhaps with a sign showing your views on Corona Virus' etc.

Or is it too early? From conversations in the pub most people, while not exactly happy with the regulations and restrictions, seem to think its necessary.

Should we wait for a groundswell of popular opposition?

At present there are still legal means for change - eg, there is a legal challenge going through the courts at the moment, and there are rebel MPs opposed to tighter measures. Is it better to wait until these have been exhausted?

I put the matter to debate, Dosbodderers!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I feel people have been more than happy to be paid 80 percent of their salary to stay at home watching Netflix.  Stop the money and sentiments will change very quickly. 

F**k that, I avoid expressing opinions in my corporate life as that muddies the water unnecessarily but it absolutely stops there. My family, friends and social/sports contacts will know 100% where I

Indeed! Lockdown weather here was mainly sunny, dry weather in April/May. People walked more, went cycling, running or done gardening, interior decorating etc. When restrictions were eased many w

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Gloommonger said:

I think the next 3 months will see growing anger as furlough ends and job losses increase. I'm sure a new scheme will be created to placate the desperate. Only desperate people with nothing to lose will risk arrest. 

Yes.

A £10,000 fine is no deterrent if you only have debts and are on benefits.

22 minutes ago, Gloommonger said:

I think the next 3 months will see growing anger as furlough ends and job losses increase. I'm sure a new scheme will be created to placate the desperate. Only desperate people with nothing to lose will risk arrest. 

The problem with this, if we have a kind of mass kicking-off, is the government will just use that to its own advantage to declare even stricter controls on movement etc.

It would be better if there could be some kind of peaceful mass protest, I'm just not sure people are ready for that yet though. It took the civil rights movement in the USA years to achieve anything by those means.

1 minute ago, One percent said:

I feel people have been more than happy to be paid 80 percent of their salary to stay at home watching Netflix.  Stop the money and sentiments will change very quickly. 

I think you're right. At present, there seems to be almost zero objections to the government's actions from a civil-liberties perspective.

The only place that is happening is the USA, and British people have been well trained to mock anything like that as the actions of religious nutters and gun freaks.

1 minute ago, Austin Allegro said:

I think you're right. At present, there seems to be almost zero objections to the government's actions from a civil-liberties perspective.

The only place that is happening is the USA, and British people have been well trained to mock anything like that as the actions of religious nutters and gun freaks.

It kind of highlights why our previous governments were so keen to illegalise the owning of firearms.  

32 minutes ago, Gloommonger said:

I don't think peaceful marches have ever achieved any change here. The only change I can recall came after the poll tax riots and we were given inferior council tax instead!

I agree about peaceful marches. I'm thinking more along the lines of civil disobedience done in a such a way that it is not possible to arrest/fine everyone who does it.

Not easy, but I think we need to start debating/thinking along these lines as it seems clear to me now that restrictions are not going to be lifted in the foreseeable future and indeed may be tightened.

1 hour ago, Austin Allegro said:

I've been mulling over ways that mass civil disobedience could be organised, but I'm not sure how.

Perhaps best to start by not announcing it in a public forum on the worldwide wibble.

I think that might be the first chapter in Revolution - How To Over-throw Your Government 101.

o.O

Edited by The Masked Tulip
38 minutes ago, 201p said:

They are turning this into a situation to stop Brexit....?

IMO this is why the MSM have been so vocal and so excitable about the virus - it's their best chance of delaying Brexit with the possibility of getting it canned altogether. I reckon in November the EU will offer a 2 year extension right at the moment furlough ends and the economy is seen for the state that it's really in.

51 minutes ago, 201p said:

I see it as a convenient smokescreen to wave Brexit through. Without this virus, can you imagine the daily Brexit related MSM stories and general mood of Remainers. We would already have had several large scale marches and demos this year...

1 hour ago, Austin Allegro said:

I agree about peaceful marches. I'm thinking more along the lines of civil disobedience done in a such a way that it is not possible to arrest/fine everyone who does it.

Is it Japan where workers can wear something to show that they are pissed off with their management?

On a similar line, I'd buy a cloth mask that had 'Covid-1984' printed on it.

I'd like to get self adhesive prints of some of the virus memes. Say A6 size. Fly post them anywhere that they are likely to be seen. Classier than graffiti.

Just now, Rowley said:

I see it as a convenient smokescreen to wave Brexit through. Without this virus, can you imagine the daily Brexit related MSM stories and general mood of Remainers. We would already have had several large scale marches and demos this year...

I've been wondering this too. If the government were going to use Corona as a means of delaying Brexit, they would have done it back in March when the panic started. So if it is being used as a smokescreen it will be in order to get Brexit done rather than delay/stop it.

51 minutes ago, 201p said:

Very likely but if they're not then they are possibly thinking most people won't make much of a fuss until full Brexit is achieved on 31 December so they can do all sorts of crazy totalitarian stuff on the flimsiest of excuses until then.

2 hours ago, Austin Allegro said:

Looks like Boris is going to announce some stricter rules today, possibly a second lockdown.

Something like, for example, flashmob type gatherings where the message goes out something like 'what a lovely day for a walk in Hyde Park at noon, perhaps with a sign showing your views on Corona Virus' etc.

Or is it too early? From conversations in the pub most people, while not exactly happy with the regulations and restrictions, seem to think its necessary.

Should we wait for a groundswell of popular opposition?

At present there are still legal means for change - eg, there is a legal challenge going through the courts at the moment, and there are rebel MPs opposed to tighter measures. Is it better to wait until these have been exhausted?

I put the matter to debate, Dosbodderers!

MPs houses, flash mobs outside of those

Stop paying council taxes and any other taxes 

Using false names and address for track and trace

Calling them out on social media

Cancelling TV License

2 minutes ago, ad_ceng said:

MPs houses, flash mobs outside of those

Stop paying council taxes and any other taxes 

Using false names and address for track and trace

Calling them out on social media

Cancelling TV License

6. Never ever weak a mask. I was in the Co-op just now, 90% of idiots are still wearing masks.

7. Tell people you think it's bollocks (if they open the conversation).

Somebody a bit charismatic and honest to set up a party maybe called the Covid Realism Party - before next year's local elections.

The only problem being the electorate will most likely still fall hook line and sinker for the same jaded lies and jaded sound bites from the LibLabCon and the rest of the establishment.

Edited by twocents
2 minutes ago, twocents said:

Somebody a bit charismatic and honest to set up a party maybe called the Covid Realism Party - before next year's local elections.

The only problem being the electorate will most likely still fall hook line and sinker for the same jaded lies and jaded sound bites from the LibLabCon.

As long as they are careful with their name. Im not sure the following would work

Covid Realism Alternative Party. :)