DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Job Seekers Allowance - it's changed

Has anyone any experience of the new one?

The two which there used to be have now been restricted to people on severe disability premium.  These are the contributions based, the one I have been on two or three times before which has no savings limit, and the income based which pays you nothing if you have more than £16k of savings.

https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/eligibility?step-by-step-nav=e7b3ea75-05d5-4341-b27a-be3b767b1e3f

The New Style, same link, is described as follows; and whilst there is no savings cut-off stated there is the line that your partner's income and savings will not affect your claim.

‘New style’ JSA

To be eligible for ‘new style’ JSA you’ll need to have worked as an employee and paid Class 1 National Insurance contributions, usually in the last 2 to 3 years. National Insurance credits can also count.

You will not be eligible if you were self-employed and only paid Class 2 National Insurance contributions, unless you were working as a share fisherman or a volunteer development worker.

You’ll also need to:

• be 18 or over (there are some exceptions if you’re 16 or 17 - contact Jobcentre Plus for advice)
  • be under the State Pension age
  • not be in full-time education
  • be available for work
  • not be working at the moment, or be working less than 16 hours per week on average
  • not have an illness or disability which stops you from working
  • live in England, Scotland or Wales
  • have the right to work in the UK

You’ll also need to take reasonable steps to look for work. You must still follow the guidance on working safely during coronavirus.

Your partner’s income and savings will not affect your claim.

You can get ‘new style’ JSA for up to 182 days (about 6 months). After this you can talk to your work coach about your options.

I don't want to start an application if there is a savings limit applicable so will have a poke about first; any input would be appreciated.

Also any direct experience of what level of scrutiny of your job hunting is being made as I don't want to find myself having to apply for loads of jobs that I don't wish to do or be grilled every two weeks.  Anecdotally I've heard the don't even want to see you.  I'm really only interested in temporary part time work to give me something to do through the depths of winter.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Every time a thread like this comes up I scan it desperately looking for something, anything, which I can claim for. Like Frank I've had an entire lifetime of paying in and getting zero back. I'm

Its quite worrying really that productive people have concluded there is no purpose in working and seeking to utilise the benefits system. Can't last for long before the collapse. 

https://www.gov.uk/funeral-payments

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Has anyone any experience of the new one?

The two which there used to be have now been restricted to people on severe disability premium.  These are the contributions based, the one I have been on two or three times before which has no savings limit, and the income based which pays you nothing if you have more than £16k of savings.

https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/eligibility?step-by-step-nav=e7b3ea75-05d5-4341-b27a-be3b767b1e3f

The New Style, same link, is described as follows; and whilst there is no savings cut-off stated there is the line that your partner's income and savings will not affect your claim.

I don't want to start an application if there is a savings limit applicable so will have a poke about first; any input would be appreciated.

Also any direct experience of what level of scrutiny of your job hunting is being made as I don't want to find myself having to apply for loads of jobs that I don't wish to do or be grilled every two weeks.  Anecdotally I've heard the don't even want to see you.  I'm really only interested in temporary part time work to give me something to do through the depths of winter.

I’ve just applied for ESA, it’s the same as JSA but gets you out of the obligation of seeking work.  :)  my understanding is that it isn’t means tested but what it does is that it opens doors to a whole wealth of means tested bennies. The prize for me on this one is to get out of paying council tax.  

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

I’ve just applied for ESA, it’s the same as JSA but gets you out of the obligation of seeking work.  :)  my understanding is that it isn’t means tested but what it does is that it opens doors to a whole wealth of means tested bennies. The prize for me on this one is to get out of paying council tax.  

Oh yes it is (or at least the income related version)

When you can apply for income-related ESA

If you have not paid enough National Insurance contributions in the last 2 to 3 years you may be able to get income-related ESA.

You cannot get income-related ESA if you have savings or investments worth over £16,000.

https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/eligibility

I don't know if ESA gets you off the council tax hook. It appears to vary from council to council. 

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

I can't claim a disability or health condition beyond supporting an under-performing football club.

I'm not looking to do anything fraudulent here; I'd simply like a part refund of my NI contributions whilst they're still sufficiently recent.  £74 a week always comes in handy :)

Just now, Kurt Barlow said:

If you have not paid enough National Insurance contributions in the last 2 to 3 years you may be able to get income-related ESA.

You cannot get income-related ESA if you have savings or investments worth over £16,000.

I don't know if ESA gets you off the council tax hook. It appears to vary from council to council. 

That's gone now unless you have a sever disability; the rules have changed and I'm trying to find out what they are now.

For the two old bases this is the requirement; everyone else is onto the new one:

You can only apply if you either:

• get the severe disability premium, or are entitled to it
  • got or were entitled to the severe disability premium within the last month and are still eligible for it

•  

Ah, got it.  No savings limit - huzzah!

You can apply for New Style JSA – even if your partner works or you and your partner have savings over £16,000.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-jobseekers-allowance

2 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

The Cornish Croesus is claiming JSA, I’ve heard it all now. 9_9

Ex-colleagues have openly laughed when they've heard about my doing it before between jobs!

8 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Ah, i thought it was un means tested. I was also under the impression from the blurb that it was contributions based.  

it doesn’t necessarily get you off council tax but it opens the door to it.  I’m halfway through applying 

Just now, One percent said:

Oh bugger. I bet they ask for the money back they have already paid me. 

Based upon what @ccc has said on another thread - where he phoned them and told them he thought they had paid him too much and they weren't at all bothered - I wouldn't worry about it.

I think there is a de facto citizens' income at the moment to proper up the economy and the target is going to be administering claims rather than rejecting them.

It will be nice to have a bit of free money :)

5 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Have you got 2 legs?

Pegs :Old:

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Based upon what @ccc has said on another thread - where he phoned them and told them he thought they had paid him too much and they weren't at all bothered - I wouldn't worry about it.

I think there is a de facto citizens' income at the moment to proper up the economy and the target is going to be administering claims rather than rejecting them.

It will be nice to have a bit of free money :)

All they have sent me is two letters telling me that this "income" will be taxable. Of course I will declare it on my annual return...:)

46 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

The Cornish Croesus is claiming JSA, I’ve heard it all now. 9_9

Its quite worrying really that productive people have concluded there is no purpose in working and seeking to utilise the benefits system. Can't last for long before the collapse. 

3 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

I'm already picturing the fancy metal detector I will buy with the £1,900 @stokiescum @Wahoo our top detectorists.

9 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Every time a thread like this comes up I scan it desperately looking for something, anything, which I can claim for. Like Frank I've had an entire lifetime of paying in and getting zero back.

I'm ordinary as fuck; single bloke, rented flat, work 37 hour week, 2 kids but grown up and buggered off. Surely there must be something I can get? 

Sure, you can get embittered, disappointed, frustrated and eventually apathetic. 

Money wise - no way Pedro.

6 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Every time a thread like this comes up I scan it desperately looking for something, anything, which I can claim for. Like Frank I've had an entire lifetime of paying in and getting zero back.

I'm ordinary as fuck; single bloke, rented flat, work 37 hour week, 2 kids but grown up and buggered off. Surely there must be something I can get? 

I've just been fortunate with my timing; I didn't plan this or think I stood a chance of getting it.  I happen to be not working, was thinking of getting part time work over Christmas, and whilst I left voluntarily it was sufficiently long ago that it won't debar me.

This is my last hurrah which only lasts for six months and will only total £1,900. 

Proficient benefits' spongers would view that as a poor income for a single month.

The big suggestion - which we've had on here before and it seems to work - is to retire three years earlier than you intended by doing a degree and hoovering up the maintenance loan to support you for the three years until your pension kicks in; secure in the knowledge that you won't need to pay any of it back. 

As several have said it's unlikely that record keeping will be that great so even if you have a degree if it was a long time ago you just say that you don't have one.

28 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

I can tell from your Avatar that you are a sponger.

14 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I've just been fortunate with my timing; I didn't plan this or think I stood a chance of getting it.  I happen to be not working, was thinking of getting part time work over Christmas, and whilst I left voluntarily it was sufficiently long ago that it won't debar me.

This is my last hurrah which only lasts for six months and will only total £1,900. 

Proficient benefits' spongers would view that as a poor income for a single month.

The big suggestion - which we've had on here before and it seems to work - is to retire three years earlier than you intended by doing a degree and hoovering up the maintenance loan to support you for the three years until your pension kicks in; secure in the knowledge that you won't need to pay any of it back. 

As several have said it's unlikely that record keeping will be that great so even if you have a degree if it was a long time ago you just say that you don't have one.

I wasn't aware of that one.  I've just checked and I would be entitled to £9k/yr to cover fees and 9k/yr maintenance.  Good to know although it probably won't be possible by the time I can retire.