DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

AIBU to think newish marvel based films are shite

31 minutes ago, Melchett said:

All superhero movies are shite. 

Nobody who is older than a teenager should be watching them.

Well, yes, but...

There was a time when superhero moves were 'okay' as general entertainment.  Eg, Superman (I) was pretty good.  And it isn't just 'old movies' -- eg, Iron Man (I) was rather entertaining.

But the latest run of Marvel movies are very weak -- there's little in the way of story or character development -- they run through the exposition as fast as possible, and from that point it is pure CGI thrills without any substance.

[I was forced to go to see many of them by Son#1.  I in turn forced him to watch a flurry of 'good old films' -- he now appreciates that those classics are good, and the Marvel films crap]

Apart from the original Adam West batman all SH movies are moronic.

Why the relatively sudden deluge of them?

Probably the same reason Simon Cowell reintroduces old songs to us with the latest boy/girl band: copyright expiration

£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ 

i've always found the criticism of the marvel movies a little peculiar.

They're Disney comic book movies and like most Disney movies they're tailored as big screen family blockbuster movies. Most often summer and/or christmas holiday movies.  And they do that very well.  

What else are people expecting from them? 

I used to love Marvel n DC comics - when I could get them - they were rare, expensive n v hard to find in N Yorks in the early 80s - I'm sorry pet. I dont have X Men. Will Whizzer n Chips do?

A huge number of Marvel n DC from 89 n earlier sit on my file system. Fell off intertorrent....

My comics peaked when I was 16-18ish with Allan Moore Swampthing, Watchmen, everything Frank Miller.

Then they disappeared where in was Batman n Superman v Alien n Predator.

And youd get entire comics with abstract story frames with just ...... ! ....

Basically the beardy party wznkers took over.

Marvel films have gone from being an entertaining subculture to a arty wank fest with vconfuding storylines - Is Vaptsin America a goody or baddy in this one?

15 minutes ago, maynardgravy said:

Apart from the original Adam West batman all SH movies are moronic.

Why the relatively sudden deluge of them?

Probably the same reason Simon Cowell reintroduces old songs to us with the latest boy/girl band: copyright expiration

£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ 

Hollywood has no ideas.

Vo ic book readers of the 70s n 80s now are 40+ with kids to take to movies.

13 minutes ago, feed said:

They're Disney comic book movies and like most Disney movies they're tailored as big screen family blockbuster movies. Most often summer and/or christmas holiday movies.  And they do that very well.  

Death and sarcasm and violence.so deadpool for the win. Though I do have a soft spot for guardians of the galaxy the raccoon is ace

35 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I used to love Marvel n DC comics - when I could get them - they were rare, expensive n v hard to find in N Yorks in the early 80s - I'm sorry pet. I dont have X Men. Will Whizzer n Chips do?

A huge number of Marvel n DC from 89 n earlier sit on my file system. Fell off intertorrent....

My comics peaked when I was 16-18ish with Allan Moore Swampthing, Watchmen, everything Frank Miller.

Then they disappeared where in was Batman n Superman v Alien n Predator.

And youd get entire comics with abstract story frames with just ...... ! ....

Basically the beardy party wznkers took over.

Marvel films have gone from being an entertaining subculture to a arty wank fest with vconfuding storylines - Is Vaptsin America a goody or baddy in this one?

Judge dread should have been arnies film 

I suppose it was inevitable once CGI etc became a mature technology that Hollywood would be looking at genres that would enable them deploy it. There is really not much mileage in using this technical wizardry to make film adaptations of things like  Chekhov’s The Cherry Orchard. The medium has thus come to define the message. The problem is that the characters and stories which often work surprisingly well in the two dimensional frame of the comic book are nearly always grindingly awful when made into movies. In fact what makes the superhero comics succeed is that the medium is actually quite simple and sparse which somehow makes the rather ludicrous concept of a superhero come to life. By contrast the most of the film versions are wildly overblown and many are simply laughable.

Edited by Virgil Caine
2 hours ago, feed said:

Quite but try pointing out on here that Star Wars was created for the same reasons and see the reaction.

Not to mention the fact that George Lucas is a nonce... why else would you create a story where Indiana Jones shagged an 11 year old?

YABU

I watched all the Marvel films when they came out in the cinema (HK cinemas are pretty great places for crowd reactions, plus great aircon in the summer).  The story arc was excellent if you tracked them all, plus a lot of clever jokes that many miss.  Several themes in there about globalisation, large corporations, corruption of politicians, dangers of warmongers, a harsh and uncaring universe, the importance of family and children (that's a theme all the way through).  Black Pather even was pro-racist in terms of saying firmly that africans do better in africa, as they are not designed for a white country.  Heresy that slipped through the PC net!

Just watched them again with the nippers, and again great entertainment.  Except: Captain Marvel, woke shite of the highest degree, and parts of the endGame where they push wimmin powers down yer throat.

Thor: Ragnarok is one of the best and funniest family films of the last 20 years, in my view.  And it has a aussie as the lead, hurrah.

In short, you lot continue to watch depressing shit about the holocaust, I'll enjoy my CGI powered escapism, please.