DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Greenpeace dropping 3 ton granite boulders in Marine conservation zone in North Sea

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I must say I like this bit of direct action by Greenpeace.  Fishing vessels, notably Dutch and Danish ones have completely ignored the ban in bottom trawling in the Dogger bank conservation zone

No fan of the green lobby but this is spot on. Sink the fuckers. 

Greenpeas already have enough money to run a navy bigger than Finland. I suspect their funding does not come from church jumble sales.

6 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

What a superb piece of lateral thinking by the Greenpeace massive.

The Danes scour this area for sandeels with factory ships (the base of the food chain for Cod, Coley, Haddock etc) to feed to their pigs. Imagine the bycatch with the nets you need to cacth these small eels. 

https://blueplanetsociety.org/2009/06/where-have-all-sandeels-gone/

Why is this? The sandeel fishery has now become by far the biggest single-species fishery in the North Sea, with landings accounting for one-third of all fish landed. The vast majority of this catch is landed and processed in Denmark. Such fundamental changes in the fabric of the marine ecosystem are what ecologists refer to as ‘fishing down the food web’.

Danes.

Feed it to pigs or fur farms.

9 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

I must say I like this bit of direct action by Greenpeace. 

Fishing vessels, notably Dutch and Danish ones have completely ignored the ban in bottom trawling in the Dogger bank conservation zone and scouring the seabed of all life.  Furthermore they have been switching off their identity beacons (much like the Chinese distant water fleet) to avoid detection

Given that half our littoral Navy is now dedicated to ferrying illegal immigrants across the channel there is no hope they will intercept these vessels. So Greenpeace have taken to dumping 3 ton granite boulders in the area to fuck up any nets of illegally operating vessels. 

Needless to say most of the complaints have come from the Cloggies. 

Personally I hope the Govt give tacit approval to this. Secondly if they end up in a legal tussle I will happily donate £20 to help fund their defence. 

Don't always like Greenpeace but that is a good one, well done them. 

I've always thought that a practical solution to this would also be putting windfarms on all the fish conservation areas and kill two birds with one stone (an unfortunate expression perhaps! :-)  ), it should be relatively simple to add cameras and monitoring equipment to the towers. 

1 minute ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Don't always like Greenpeace but that is a good one, well done them. 

I've always thought that a practical solution to this would also be putting windfarms on all the fish conservation areas and kill two birds with one stone (an unfortunate expression perhaps! :-)  ), it should be relatively simple to add cameras and monitoring equipment to the towers. 

The wind farms are another great development that will completely fuck up the Euro Supertrawlers while benefitting whats left of the UK's small vessel fleet. 

2 minutes ago, Libspero said:

I'm not sure how many they are going to drop..   will the fishermen just end up logging them on satnav and avoiding them?

Will it actually even screw up the nets ?  I believe some of them can raise 7 tonnes of fish at a time ?

Interesting idea for sure..

Those fish are spread over the entire area of the net. Those boulders are 3 tonnes /m3. Furthermore they will very quickly anchor to the seabed and rapidly gain weight as weed and shells grow on them. 

Imagine the fun of getting a 3 tonne boulder out of your net and what it will do to the fish in it. You then either have to drop it gain - needing a crane or cart it back to port where you will have to pay a disposal charge xD

The supertrawlers need very long and fairly straight trawl lengths - trying to avoid hundreds of boulders will make it unviable even if 

Global lockdown should have been the excuse needed to change the planet. 

Considerably less air traffic was a good start, as is more people working from home. 

These stupid home insulation grants that are due soon should be scrapped and it should be free solar panels for anyone that wants them. No feedin tariff, just reduced bills for all concerned. 

Likewise, it should be law that all new builds have to have solar panels on the roof. 

Intensive farming is clearly wrong on many levels, and reduced consumption of meat (Inc fish) needs to instigated. I am not a Vegan, Vulcan or Veggie but actively trying to have meat free days. 

The latter is probably going to be the hardest thing to tackle on a global scale. 

14 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

The wind farms are another great development that will completely fuck up the Euro Supertrawlers while benefitting whats left of the UK's small vessel fleet. 

They can't trawl inside the wind farms but the industry are increasingly working with the small fleets to permit small boat sustainable fishing inside the wind farms which in any case act as marine refuges for the fish. 

1 minute ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Global lockdown should have been the excuse needed to change the planet. 

Considerably less air traffic was a good start, as is more people working from home. 

These stupid home insulation grants that are due soon should be scrapped and it should be free solar panels for anyone that wants them. No feedin tariff, just reduced bills for all concerned. 

Likewise, it should be law that all new builds have to have solar panels on the roof. 

Intensive farming is clearly wrong on many levels, and reduced consumption of meat (Inc fish) needs to instigated. I am not a Vegan, Vulcan or Veggie but actively trying to have meat free days. 

The latter is probably going to be the hardest thing to tackle on a global scale. 

False economy - the payback on insulation is much much  quicker than for solar panels.

3 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Those fish are spread over the entire area of the net. Those boulders are 3 tonnes /m3. Furthermore they will very quickly anchor to the seabed and rapidly gain weight as weed and shells grow on them. 

Imagine the fun of getting a 3 tonne boulder out of your net and what it will do to the fish in it. You then either have to drop it gain - needing a crane or cart it back to port where you will have to pay a disposal charge xD

The supertrawlers need very long and fairly straight trawl lengths - trying to avoid hundreds of boulders will make it unviable even if plotted on GPS charts

Just now, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Who doesn't already have loft insulation or double glazing though? 

Plenty of people. House we bought a year ago had about 50 mm of loft insulation. It now has 450mm but meant we had to pay £140 a month for a year due to the DD calculation. Since then got a big rebate and bill has now been reduced to £90 pcm. 

7 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

They can't trawl inside the wind farms but the industry are increasingly working with the small fleets to permit small boat sustainable fishing inside the wind farms which in any case act as marine refuges for the fish. 

If you go pleasure boat fishing unless going for flat fish you soon fin out that the skipper is the one that catches the fish and not the punters. They know all the best reefs / rocks / san bars / wrecks, outside of high there is very little to catch in comparison.  Wonder white how much adding additional features will increase fish biodiversity / ability to recover - cold be quite significant in some areas that are totally barren feature wise.

7 minutes ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Who doesn't already have loft insulation or double glazing though? 

problem is most people are stupid cunts and move into a house and fill the loft with junk before insulating it making the job 20x as difficult. 

Last September the first job I did was insulate the loft despite my wifes interest being more asthetic in nature. 

18 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

The supertrawlers need very long and fairly straight trawl lengths - trying to avoid hundreds of boulders will make it unviable even if 

I suspect they will just incorporate "rock-hopper" bobbins into their nets if it becomes a major headache for them..  but perhaps these rocks are specially shaped like anti-tank "Czech hedgehogs" or something.

It would be better to see the navy just start intercepting them..  they must have access to live satellite feeds...