DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Overseas Operations Bill

The cynic in me says that Lady Cunting Hale and her type will rapidly neuter this one when it hits the courts but well done to the government for trying:

https://news.sky.com/story/overseas-operations-bill-government-facing-calls-to-rethink-plan-to-decriminalise-torture-by-uk-troops-12079077

Interesting that Starmer whipped his bunch of cunts to abstain.

1 hour ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

Three Labour front benches just resigned over it.

https://order-order.com/2020/09/23/three-mps-resign-from-labour-front-bench/

your expression should be '... just been resigned over it'.  As explained in the order-order article:

Nadia doesn’t seem to understand she was sacked and the “resignation” was entirely euphemistic…

The trouble with 'lets make soldiers criminally responsible for everything they do' fails to understand the concept that, after a war, those with differing views can continue to 'fight' by misusing the legal system.  Now, this isn't to say that there aren't instances of atrocities (or even just 'bad behaviour') from UK troops, but in general our troops need protection from abuse of the law just as they need protection from lead.

13 minutes ago, dgul said:

your expression should be '... just been resigned over it'.  As explained in the order-order article:

The trouble with 'lets make soldiers criminally responsible for everything they do' fails to understand the concept that, after a war, those with differing views can continue to 'fight' by misusing the legal system.  Now, this isn't to say that there aren't instances of atrocities (or even just 'bad behaviour') from UK troops, but in general our troops need protection from abuse of the law just as they need protection from lead.

It's hard enough adhering to your Alpha card on the rules of engagement when the opposition is ignoring the Geneva convention. 

2 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

Still get issued with a card alpha and are expected to shoot at people if the situation arises. 

From what I heard about Kandahar, part of the daily job spec was playing "duck and cover" to avoid incoming mortars. 

One day I shall brag about my fake naval career. Sailing round the Horn of Africa in a force 9, with a cargo of Spanish gold pursued by U-Boats, and a flying saucer.

3 hours ago, MrPin said:

Soldiers follow orders, sometimes under difficult circumstances, Mr @dgul. Not right to kipper them for PC reasons.

"I voz only followink ze orderz"

Seem to remember it didn't work at Nuremburg...

7 hours ago, The Generation Game said:

It's hard enough adhering to your Alpha card on the rules of engagement when the opposition is ignoring the Geneva convention. 

I remember a cartoon by Giles from about 1960 which showed a British squaddie with a lump on his head holding a rock while a group of jeering Cypriot boys look on. The caption was 'Throw one more and I'll ask my corporal to ask my sergeant to ask my colonel to ask U Thant if I can throw one back!'