DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Average cost of running a car $9k per year

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Many many years ago my  car developed an oil leak just before I had to drive a long way for a week for work. I ended up taking her car and left her my car for the week with a demonstration of how-to c

I generally buy cheap tyres because I dont really drive that fast. I can see the point of buying good tyres if you are doing high mileages on motorways. However for someone that uses the car for going

My costs are similar to yours but over 30,000 miles per annum... I had a good system where I'd buy a £10k car and put 50k on it and sell after 18-20months for ~£5k rinse and repeat. So 10p/mile plus f

Posted Images

if you are in a new country for a couple of years and don't have the local knowledge on good garages, safe areas to drive in, etc, a new car is worth it in one respect - it is unlikely to break down and i) put you in danger and ii) cost you a lot as you get ripped off by the greaser for being foriegn.

When we lived in other dodgier places we had new cars.  Now I have a small 13 year old one, second hand.

If only more Americans would buy Toyota Corollas!
Scotty Kilmer wanted to beat Top Gear as the most watched car channel, so he upped his output to what seemed like a video a day. I can understand this logic: soap operas would not be popular if episodes were erraticly spaced, or weeks apart, but I couldn't keep up and I felt the videos were a bit more filler than steel. As a result, I don't watch him at all now. I  recall his saying that he has a PhD in some social science field.

Edited by Nippy
1 minute ago, Nippy said:

If only more Americans would buy Toyota Corollas!
Scotty Kilmer wanted to beat Top Gear as the most watched car channel, so he upped his output to what seemed like a video a day. I can understand this logic: soap operas would not be popular if episodes were erraticly spaced, or weeks apart, but I couldn't keep up and I felt the videos were a bit more filler than steel. As a result, I don't watch him at all now. I seem to recall his saying that he has a PhD in some social science field.

He has an entertaining delivery and a knowledge of cars from working on them rather than academic research.

I also watch John Cadogan in Oz.

Each is talking about their domestic markets so aren't brilliant with regards to the UK but have excellent delivery and you pick up a few things.

I haven't found a decent equivalent that is talking about the UK market.  I like Hubnut but that's focussed upon older quirkier cars that I wouldn't consider purchasing.

Have you purchased any of the tools Scotty has recommended in order to save money on garages? He often shows his bi-directional OBD scan computer, but they are pricey. I bought a £15 battery test meter after he recommended one, and it is excellent. It measures battery internal resistance and crank time, and provides state of health predictions for the battery, and confirms the alternator voltage and ripple are within acceptable tolerances.

Edited by Nippy
6 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

This is in the US but I can't see it being much different here.

The big items are depreciation and finance.

I would guess about £1,500 for mine now that my mileage is down to about 6k a year.

A lot more in the UK I would think, as new car prices are a lot lower in the US.

I would estimate that my the cost for both my cars would be in the region of about 2 grand a year with some of that cost offset by expenses. I have a 2007 Citroen C2 which I use for work and a 2005 Saab 93 which is my family car, I do services myself and most of the maintenance. 

8 hours ago, Nippy said:

Have you purchased any of the tools Scotty has recommended in order to save money on garages? He often shows his bi-directional OBD scan computer, but they are pricey. I bought a £15 battery test meter after he recommended one, and it is excellent. It measures battery internal resistance and crank time, and provides state of health predictions for the battery, and confirms the alternator voltage and ripple are within acceptable tolerances.

You can do a remarkable amount with even a cheap OBD2 device,  even the bluetooth ones that run via phone apps - could diagnose engine management light, cylinder no. glow plug and even more surprisingly reset it.

9 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

This is in the US but I can't see it being much different here.

The big items are depreciation and finance.

I would guess about £1,500 for mine now that my mileage is down to about 6k a year.

I lucked out on the van, depreciation is nearly zero over 15 years on van bought 3 years after heavy contract use - maximum depreciation thanks to high mileage over those three years (in combination with collapsed thanks to market  timing and a hell of a lot of searching at the time for the very best deal direct from lease company) and light use since.

2 hours ago, Happy Renting said:

Gasoline in the UK is about 250% of the price in the US.

Because of the fuel duty, VAT, and VAT on the fuel duty.

True.

I think many people in the UK would be shocked if they put the costs of their cars on a spreadsheet and confronted the reality.

Don't know if this exists in the UK but there's a way of leasing new to newish cars now in Switzerland that is all-inclusive, lease cost, full insurance, winter tyre changes, servicing, any extra guarantee required and repairs, car tax, motorway tax, you just pay the fuel. This gives a very good estimate IMO of newish car costs, which are lower than in the UK - obviously the company is making some profit but the deals aren't excessively usurious IMO.

For a very basic manual Golf with mileage limited to 9375 miles a year you have to pay 3400 GBP up front and 432 GBP a month for the 4 years, plus the fuel at about 110 GBP a month.

https://gowago.ch/en/listing/vw-golf/3C077481?leasingMileage=15000&downPaymentType=a&downPayment=3917&canton=ZH

People in the UK with newish cars are paying quite a bit more than this, mostly they just don't know it.

Edited by swiss_democracy_for_all
1 hour ago, RJT1979 said:

The figure of 9000 dollar is nonsense. I have a brand new ST3. 3600 depreciation a year. 1500 max running costs. Probably less than 1k.

I assume it's researched.

The RAC running costs per mile always seemed ludicrous but they assumed people buying their cars new on finance and changing them every three years.

Here's a BMW M5 costing:

Model M5 Competition Saloon
Monthly payments £1,139
Term of agreement 48 months
Number of payments 47 monthly payments
Annual mileage 10,000
Customer deposit £4,529

https://www.dicklovett.co.uk/bmw/finance-deals/m-series/m5-saloon

That's £15k per year before petrol, insurance and so on which will take it to £20k.  Plenty of people sign up for these.

When I was doing my lengthy commute I would have been lashing out £4k - £5k per year and someone with a more recent car £6k - £7k. 

I may well dip into the £1k bracket now with much lower annual miles but that's unusual.

Fuel prices tend to balance out because whilst US fuel is roughly half their price their big SUVs and pick-ups bring the average mpg down to about half of the average UK consumption.