DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

One for the scientists...static

I have ordered a load of printed things, think gift certificates or the like, which were meant to have a UV varnish.

I then put them through a laser printer to personalise them.

Problem is, the printer, for their own convenience, decided to laminate them rather than use a uv varnish.

The issue is that when I put them through my digital press, I get such a static build up I end up with a solid brick of certificates.

They have reprinted them correctly so all good. But I have 15,000 of the buggers that I really don't want to send to landfill.

Anyone got any bright ideas how I remove that much static from a brick of paper?

24 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

I have ordered a load of printed things, think gift certificates or the like, which were meant to have a UV varnish.

Problem is, the printer, for their own convenience, decided to laminate them rather than use a uv varnish.

The issue is that when I put them through my digital press, I get such a static build up I end up with a solid brick of certificates.

They have reprinted them correctly so all good. But I have 15,000 of the buggers that I really don't want to send to landfill.

Anyone got any bright ideas how I remove that much static from a brick of paper?

I am not sure what you are trying to do. You have something that was produced wrongly by the printer. They then reprinted them correctly. Why do you wish to keep the wrong stuff? What are you going to do with a brick of paper? Pry it apart sheet by sheet? What am I missing?

Washing up liquid can destatic stuff - mild solution of washing up liquid and water. Should be ok on something that is laminated. On paper - not so much.

Those sheets you used in clothes dryers to stop static build-up can also be used to wipe objects to remove static.

16 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

I remember those anti-static guns used to discharge vinyl records. I assume it made H+ ions? Maybe one of those would work, depending on the polarity of the charges.

That'll be the Zerostat 3 Milty (or similar). 

https://www.richersounds.com/milt-mi0060m.html

I've got one and it does seem to remove static from a record. I think it's powered by dark energy. I'm probably creating minute black holes every time I pull the trigger.

Edited by Sasquatch

If your machine is creating the static - rollers etc inside the machine in combination with the plastic laminating film, then something to remove the static on the output feed like below which I think just to be grounded to the case at some point with a separate ground wire if the fixings won't do the same. 

https://www.mcmaster.com/static-control-tinsel/

2 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

Does the pinter have an earth?

Is it one of those fig8 leads, no earth, or the kettle type which are earthed.

I know when I've tried to "repair" printers in the past they have little metallic brushes which I always thought were to dissipate static.

You could retrofit something like this.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.fraser-antistatic.com/en/static-control-products/self-ionizing-products/product/58-101-201-static-dischargers&ved=2ahUKEwi6hueP-YnsAhVTQMAKHTSxBOoQFjADegQIChAB&usg=AOvVaw1I3CDHTI5O0LBVidqFFnKE

You'd have to croc clip it to a known earth mind.

Edited by GBDamo
3 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I am not sure what you are trying to do. You have something that was produced wrongly by the printer. They then reprinted them correctly. Why do you wish to keep the wrong stuff? What are you going to do with a brick of paper? Pry it apart sheet by sheet? What am I missing?

Washing up liquid can destatic stuff - mild solution of washing up liquid and water. Should be ok on something that is laminated. On paper - not so much.

Those sheets you used in clothes dryers to stop static build-up can also be used to wipe objects to remove static.

The wrong stuff is perfectly good if I could find a way to use it. Seems bad form to send it to landfill.

It has happened before but not on this scale. I had assumed that if I left it for a week or so the static would dissipate, but it doesn't.

If I separate out all the sheets, when I stack them back up again they stick together again.

Very powerful force this static stuff.

3 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

That'll be the Zerostat 3 Milty (or similar). 

https://www.richersounds.com/milt-mi0060m.html

I've got one and it does seem to remove static from a record. I think it's powered by dark energy. I'm probably creating minute black holes every time I pull the trigger.

Interesting. But by the time I have shot 15,000 sheets I may have time-warped the island back to the even darker ages

3 hours ago, onlyme said:

If your machine is creating the static - rollers etc inside the machine in combination with the plastic laminating film, then something to remove the static on the output feed like below which I think just to be grounded to the case at some point with a separate ground wire if the fixings won't do the same. 

https://www.mcmaster.com/static-control-tinsel/

Possible.

AFAIK digital printers work by creating a static charge on the board which attracts the toner.

For some reason the laminate keeps hold of this charge. I assume the press removes normal static, but can't do so in this case.

4 minutes ago, eta-carinae said:

I'm still not sure what you've got or what you're trying to do. 

Can't you employ a child to send them through the printer one at a time in exchange for a treat?

Surely you don't mean you can't physically separate them? Just they get stuck together through the printer?

They come out of the printer one at a time, but the minute you put two sheets together they stick to each other again as if they were magnetized.

I would like to get them to behave like normal sheets of card again. I suppose I am looking for something I could sit a stack of them on which would suck the static out of them.

But I really don't understand how static works. Seems to be some kind of dark magic.

Have you tried heating the stack again? If the static never seems to dissipate, you might have inadvertently created electret. My big handbook for boys explains that a laser printer sprays charge onto a sheet of paper, then the laser discharges areas, then the toner clings to the charged parts, then the fuser melts the toner. If the polymer cooled whilst still bearing charge, the charge could have been locked in. You would have to experiment with what temperature is needed because the fuser temperature is pretty hot.

Edited by Nippy
9 minutes ago, Nippy said:

Have you tried heating the stack again? If the static never seems to dissipate, you might have inadvertently created electret. My big handbook for boys explains that a laser printer sprays charge onto a sheet of paper, then the laser discharges areas, then the toner clings to the charged parts, then the fuser melts the toner. If the polymer cooled whilst still bearing charge, the charge could have been locked in. You would have to experiment with what temperature is needed because the fuser temperature is pretty hot.

Are you suggesting trying gas mark six for ten minutes?

12 minutes ago, Nippy said:

Being serious, the electret suggestion seems to make sense.

All I need to do now is find out how to reverse it without waiting 100 years.

4 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Are you suggesting trying gas mark six for ten minutes?

Well, yes. But I'd start with a hair dryer to see if that worked or improved things, then work my way up in ferocity. If nothing works bar burning the house down, you could always sell the stickiness as a feature...look it clings to the wall!

Edited by Nippy
1 minute ago, Nippy said:

Well, yes. But I'd start with a hair dryer to see if that worked or improved things, then work my way up in ferocity. If nothing works bar burning the house down, you could always sell the stickiness as a feature...look it clings to the wall!

Hairdryer?

FFS man this Is dosbods. Nobody here has seen one of those since the seventies.