DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

E-scooters, our kid...

The red bike scheme ended in Manchester
and we're getting another... 

The entire fleet, which will include e-bikes, will be docked in a bid to make them more secure than their Mobike predecessors.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/new-bike-hire-scheme-coming-18290222

Abandoned Mobike spotted on Collyhurst Rd in Manchester Centre

41 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

These schemes don't work in cities anywhere where a significant minority of scumbags exist, the bikes/scooters just end up in the watercourses. 

Liverpool and Manchester? Don't make me laugh.

"I say old chap I do hope that you are not implying that Liverpudlians are more likely than other ethnic groups to commit criminal acts?"

Or via the Scouse translator
Ay-ay owd chap ay do 'ope dat yer not imply'n dat us scallies ay more ikey than uvver ethnic groups ter commit 'ewk acts?

41 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

"I say old chap I do hope that you are not implying that Liverpudlians are more likely than other ethnic groups to commit criminal acts?"

Or via the Scouse translator
Ay-ay owd chap ay do 'ope dat yer not imply'n dat us scallies ay more ikey than uvver ethnic groups ter commit 'ewk acts?

fook off. The mancs ruined the first bike scheme in 13 months! 
29 Jun 2017 launched
13 months later https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/gallery/mobike-bikes-manchester-pulling-out-15114846

46 minutes ago, MrPin said:

These scooters are not legal. But maybe soon...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54380251

In my humble opionion, these are just this weeks fad, and will disappear.

Using them on a road seems totally daft, and they should be limited to pavements.

They're everywhere here (private e-scooters, not from a scheme). Starting to freak me out when driving because there are even some young kids, 10 or 11 years old, riding them on roads. At night is the worst, when they appear out of nowhere on a poorly-lit street from a side passage at 30+ kmh.

Edited by swiss_democracy_for_all
7 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

They're everywhere here (private e-scooters, not from a scheme). Starting to freak me out when driving because there are even some young kids, 10 or 11 years old, riding them on roads. At night is the worst, when they appear out of nowhere on a poorly-lit street from a side passage at 30+ kmh.

No licence, no lights. They are not a proper road vehicle. Even some cyclists use lights.:o

42 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

The stupid thing is, people are seen riding e-scooters, and so the immediate response is 'we'll have an escooter hire scheme'.  But that misses the point.

If you have the option of getting from a-b with somewhere convenient to pick-up and drop-off, then a bike makes absolute sense.  Ebikes more so.

But ebikes don't make sense for many 'commuters', because they're desirable and people nick them.  People who commute on bikes usually get some cheap* old heap that isn't desirable enough to be stolen, and can be replaced with a cheap old heap if they are.

So, people turn to escooters because you can fold them up and take them into the office, where they can be stashed away safely**.  

Escooter hire schemes are a case of putting 1 and 1 together and getting A.

[* cheap for them, which might be considered as expensive by me]

[** This is why people ride Bromptons -- you wouldn't pay £££s to get one and then stick in on the bike rack all day]

2 minutes ago, dgul said:

The stupid thing is, people are seen riding e-scooters, and so the immediate response is 'we'll have an escooter hire scheme'.  But that misses the point.

If you have the option of getting from a-b with somewhere convenient to pick-up and drop-off, then a bike makes absolute sense.  Ebikes more so.

But ebikes don't make sense for many 'commuters', because they're desirable and people nick them.  People who commute on bikes usually get some cheap* old heap that isn't desirable enough to be stolen, and can be replaced with a cheap old heap if they are.

So, people turn to escooters because you can fold them up and take them into the office, where they can be stashed away safely**.  

Escooter hire schemes are a case of putting 1 and 1 together and getting A.

[* cheap for them, which might be considered as expensive by me]

[** This is why people ride Bromptons -- you wouldn't pay £££s to get one and then stick in on the bike rack all day]

I've seen a couple of really excellent-looking folding e-bikes here. 

2 hours ago, MrPin said:

Using them on a road seems totally daft, and they should be limited to pavements

if you let the 'fat wallies' use them on the pavement, they'll end up knocking over and probably killing some pensioners...

I think ebikes are the future myself........could be especially good for UK.....too many fatties occupying too little space!!!

in fact the NHS should dish em out for free, with GPS monitor! AND if you don't do your exercise, your benefits get revoked :Jumping:

EDIT: I'm on about those ebikes where you need to pedal!! :P

Edited by 5min OCD speculator