Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Stupid laws and plastic straws.


Recommended Posts

They've only gone and banned plastic straws.

Not that I care that much.  I'm not 8 any more.

Anyway, it turns out that there are 4.7 billion plastic straws used per year.  This is about 100ish per person per year.  I've no idea what is going on any more.  Sure, kids should be able to use straws, but I've used about 1 plastic straw in the last 30 years -- who the hell is using these things.

They shouldn't have banned them.  Not at all.  They should have instead put out a public information broadcast saying 'Grow up, man! If you're using a plastic straw and you're over 12 then you're an imbecile that shouldn't be allowed out on their own.'

[They've also banned q-tips.  I wish I'd have known, as I'd have bought some up in supplies -- they're very useful for cleaning some specialist electronic equipment that I've got and now I'll have to work out an alternative.  But it works out as 25 per person per year* -- just who are these people?]

[* 12 per person per ear]

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, dgul said:

who the hell is using these things

If I go to a McD (other purveyors of fried crap are available) then I always drink their coffee, which I quite like. The kids will always have one of the fizzy drinks from a tap into a tall paper cup. I think you could drink those without a straw but it's a lot easier just to jam one through the hole (oo-er missus no don't titter) and suck on it (oo-er etc.) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

If I go to a McD (other purveyors of fried crap are available) then I always drink their coffee, which I quite like. The kids will always have one of the fizzy drinks from a tap into a tall paper cup. I think you could drink those without a straw but it's a lot easier just to jam one through the hole (oo-er missus no don't titter) and suck on it (oo-er etc.) 

Cocktails are often served with multiple straws. Having a few could easily generate 20 per person per evening. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can someone explain why this is a backward step? I am all for genuine reductions in non-recyclable materials being used, assuming that creating them doesn't create more environmental waste anyway (case in point: bags for life creating 100x more pollution than regular plastic bags).

In this case IIRC cardboard straws were around years ago, and were replaced by plastic ones, so it's not even that new.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, spunko said:

Can someone explain why this is a backward step? I am all for genuine reductions in non-recyclable materials being used, assuming that creating them doesn't create more environmental waste anyway (case in point: bags for life creating 100x more pollution than regular plastic bags).

In this case IIRC cardboard straws were around years ago, and were replaced by plastic ones, so it's not even that new.

 

One word.

Milkshake.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spunko said:

Can someone explain why this is a backward step? I am all for genuine reductions in non-recyclable materials being used, assuming that creating them doesn't create more environmental waste anyway (case in point: bags for life creating 100x more pollution than regular plastic bags).

In this case IIRC cardboard straws were around years ago, and were replaced by plastic ones, so it's not even that new.

 

Yep, afaiac there's a load of plastic stuff that could be banned, it should all be made of wood or similar. Shitty kids toyshops would have to change their game plan a bit though  - Christmas in most houses where there are kids these days is a future oceanic disaster. 

Does anyone know where you can get these things but made of wood?

They're very useful, but probably should be banned as well. 

Miradent toothpick floss sticks, 4,35 €

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, spunko said:

In this case IIRC cardboard straws were around years ago, and were replaced by plastic ones, so it's not even that new.

It's just the way the pendulum swings..   give it another 15 years and wooden ones will be banned to protect the rainforest and we will all have to use plastic ones again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dgul said:

This is about 100ish per person per year.  I've no idea what is going on any more.  Sure, kids should be able to use straws, but I've used about 1 plastic straw in the last 30 years -- who the hell is using these things.

Kids parties and arts and crafts I expect.

You have to remember that this kind of crap is all the rage:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, spunko said:

Can someone explain why this is a backward step? I am all for genuine reductions in non-recyclable materials being used, assuming that creating them doesn't create more environmental waste anyway (case in point: bags for life creating 100x more pollution than regular plastic bags).

In this case IIRC cardboard straws were around years ago, and were replaced by plastic ones, so it's not even that new.

 

I have two problems with it:

  • 100 straws per person per year!  We've become a nation of infantilised idiots.  The problem isn't plastic straws, it is straws.
  • It masks what is IMO the actual problem -- people can feel good about banning plastic straws (note, only to replace them with paper straws), but then drive 50 miles a day, fly thousands of miles for a holiday, buy a new TV just so they can watch Corrie in 4k* compared with HD, buy new outfits for every occasion, etc, etc.  But at least they use paper straws when they're quaffing milkshake with their Big Mac with extra fries.

[* upscaled from low resolution, low bitrate] 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dgul said:

It masks what is IMO the actual problem -- people can feel good about banning plastic straws (note, only to replace them with paper straws), but then drive 50 miles a day, fly thousands of miles for a holiday, buy a new TV just so they can watch Corrie in 4k* compared with HD, buy new outfits for every occasion, etc, etc. 

Rishi's going to be looking for new ways to raise taxes..    government's the new religion,  always needs more money :D

You should suggest a "plastic tax" that increases the cost by £1000 per kilo content.  That would stop nearly all of it overnight.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Rishi's going to be looking for new ways to raise taxes..    government's the new religion,  always needs more money :D

You should suggest a "plastic tax" that increases the cost by £1000 per kilo content.  That would stop nearly all of it overnight.

 

Carrier bags are 20p in sainsbury's. It was never going to be 5p not sure if there's still a donation to charity (assume 5p) that's 15p on an item that probably costs 0.3p to manufacturer. The government will get 3p in every bag sold as VAT 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dgul said:

They've only gone and banned plastic straws.

Not that I care that much.  I'm not 8 any more.

Anyway, it turns out that there are 4.7 billion plastic straws used per year.  This is about 100ish per person per year.  I've no idea what is going on any more.  Sure, kids should be able to use straws, but I've used about 1 plastic straw in the last 30 years -- who the hell is using these things.

They shouldn't have banned them.  Not at all.  They should have instead put out a public information broadcast saying 'Grow up, man! If you're using a plastic straw and you're over 12 then you're an imbecile that shouldn't be allowed out on their own.'

[They've also banned q-tips.  I wish I'd have known, as I'd have bought some up in supplies -- they're very useful for cleaning some specialist electronic equipment that I've got and now I'll have to work out an alternative.  But it works out as 25 per person per year* -- just who are these people?]

[* 12 per person per ear]

How will I make my giraffe models now if I can't use straws for the legs and q-tips cotton buds for the necks?

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, dgul said:

I have two problems with it:

  • 100 straws per person per year!  We've become a nation of infantilised idiots.  The problem isn't plastic straws, it is straws.
  • It masks what is IMO the actual problem -- people can feel good about banning plastic straws (note, only to replace them with paper straws), but then drive 50 miles a day, fly thousands of miles for a holiday, buy a new TV just so they can watch Corrie in 4k* compared with HD, buy new outfits for every occasion, etc, etc.  But at least they use paper straws when they're quaffing milkshake with their Big Mac with extra fries.

[* upscaled from low resolution, low bitrate] 


+ 100.

Consumption is the issue.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dgul said:

They've only gone and banned plastic straws.

Not that I care that much.  I'm not 8 any more.

Anyway, it turns out that there are 4.7 billion plastic straws used per year.  This is about 100ish per person per year.  I've no idea what is going on any more.  Sure, kids should be able to use straws, but I've used about 1 plastic straw in the last 30 years -- who the hell is using these things.

They shouldn't have banned them.  Not at all.  They should have instead put out a public information broadcast saying 'Grow up, man! If you're using a plastic straw and you're over 12 then you're an imbecile that shouldn't be allowed out on their own.'

[They've also banned q-tips.  I wish I'd have known, as I'd have bought some up in supplies -- they're very useful for cleaning some specialist electronic equipment that I've got and now I'll have to work out an alternative.  But it works out as 25 per person per year* -- just who are these people?]

[* 12 per person per ear]

Johnson and Johnson switched to papery sticks for their cue tips a couple of years ago.

McDonalds switched to paper straws at least a year ago. As did most of the other large chains.

Once again this is government just jumping on the bandwagon with its ban hammer, once the “problem” has already been resolved.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dgul said:

I have two problems with it:

  • 100 straws per person per year!  We've become a nation of infantilised idiots.  The problem isn't plastic straws, it is straws.
  • It masks what is IMO the actual problem -- people can feel good about banning plastic straws (note, only to replace them with paper straws), but then drive 50 miles a day, fly thousands of miles for a holiday, buy a new TV just so they can watch Corrie in 4k* compared with HD, buy new outfits for every occasion, etc, etc.  But at least they use paper straws when they're quaffing milkshake with their Big Mac with extra fries.

[* upscaled from low resolution, low bitrate] 

All true, but there is no harm in picking the low-hanging fruit first. 

We can do without plastic straws and a load of other plastic stuff easily without any sacrifice required.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...