DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Subway Rolls - Not Made Of Bread

Ireland's highest court made the ruling in a case about how the bread is taxed.
An Irish franchisee of the US company had claimed it should not pay VAT on the rolls it uses in heated sandwiches.

But the court ruled that because of the level of sugar in the rolls they cannot be taxed as bread, which is classed as a "staple product" with zero VAT.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54370056

[insert bread joke here]

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How do you kill a cornflake the halal way?

That reminds me of the Pringles case: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8060204.stm They contain more fat than whipped cream; once I read that I could only taste the grease and never bought them

By the same token, there are only forty or fifty people in the world who can truly appreciate wine? The rest might as well be drinking the £4 bottles.

Posted Images

That reminds me of the Pringles case:

Pringles are more like a cake or a biscuit, it claimed, because they are manufactured from dough.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8060204.stm

They contain more fat than whipped cream; once I read that I could only taste the grease and never bought them again.

I won't touch Subway in this country because their meat is religiously slaughtered.  I happily eat them in the US because they don't do that shite there.

5 minutes ago, the gardener said:

I've only ever eaten from Subway once, about 20 years ago. Never went back. Dreadful food. 

They actually do genuinely good salads.  They fill a bowl with all the salad from the filling options,  then put the meat and sauce on top.  For about £3.50.

It’s the only fast food salad I will eat.

36 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I won't touch Subway in this country because their meat is religiously slaughtered.  

I think that's only on " certain areas " . As in Muzzie ones.

Hope so as I've just ate one.

If not its added to my banned list along with Kingsmill and Kelloggs, both Halal. 

1 minute ago, dillinger said:

I think that's only on " certain areas " . As in Muzzie ones.

Hope so as I've just ate one.

If not its added to my banned list along with Kingsmill and Kelloggs, both Halal. 

I think it is only in certain areas so you may be ok.

Kingsmill is an obvious avoid for sponsoring muslim terrorism, I mean charities,  but I didn't know that Kellogs was.  I don't eat cereal so not an issue for me.

46 minutes ago, dillinger said:

I think that's only on " certain areas "

I'd be really surprised if that were the case. Perhaps someone in the trade could say, but I when I queried the local burger van, they said it was all Halal bar the sausages because you can't get stuff that isn't at the wholesalers, and all the boxes have the Halal image.png.43033c33da6ad0caef4f1d56a62518a9.png  symbol on. This makes sense to me. The majority of secular westerners won't care or be aware, but you do have a 3million larger market in the UK for the sake of a bit of token ritual slaughter: mass prayer and a knife cut to the neck whilst the animal is dangling. For a national chain, having to source food of different standards on a regional basis must be a pain. From what I've read on here, JD Wetherspoon have opted for no halal anywhere.

1 hour ago, the gardener said:

I've only ever eaten from Subway once, about 20 years ago. Never went back. Dreadful food. 

Just the look of it, bloody manky, it is like real food with all the colour drained out of it.  I don't know how they do it, although there is I suppose is some european pre-packed  rolls/sandwiches.

7 hours ago, the gardener said:

I'll say it again - places like subway and maccas are a godsend for a weary traveller in a far off land.  I've been in small chinese towns and the sight of the golden arches was like manna from heaven.  I knew I wasn't going to get sick, or eat a deep fried bat by mistake.

5 hours ago, Happy Renting said:

How do you kill a cornflake the halal way? O.o

It's blessed in the name of their Prophet who I believe got his messages from Satan. 

So I'm not eating food, even Cornflakes that are blessed in the Devils name.

3 hours ago, wherebee said:

I'll say it again - places like subway and maccas are a godsend for a weary traveller in a far off land.  I've been in small chinese towns and the sight of the golden arches was like manna from heaven.  I knew I wasn't going to get sick, or eat a deep fried bat by mistake.

I felt exactly the same way in Paris years ago.

I may not eat McD here but in a foreign country when short of money and hungry I was delighted to find one.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

This was when interrailing soon after graduating; a posh meal in a restaurant would have taken half the budget for the whole trip.

Paris is less good for food now, it must be said. Much less good. So much so that Macdo might be an option for those who are very hungry and who are able to stomach their food, I cannot. 

But in the era you’re describing, I’d guess late 80s early 90s, a stroll into a less touristy area at lunchtime on a weekday would have found you an excellent plat du jour for about the same money, maybe a fraction more. No choice and often rude waiters, but great food. Evenings were a bit more tricky and expensive. 

It amazes me that the French have allowed their culinary traditions to go down the toilet so quickly though, 30 years on and it’s easier to get a decent meal in London. 

4 hours ago, wherebee said:

Toilets.

MaccyD guarantees

1) Having clean toilets

2) Disinterested staff who wont kick off about you using them.

Wetherspoons serves this purpose when I want a pint and sit down in an town I dont know.

21 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Toilets.

MaccyD guarantees

1) Having clean toilets

2) Disinterested staff who wont kick off about you using them.

Wetherspoons serves this purpose when I want a pint and sit down in an town I dont know.

Back in the 90s I used to go into McDonalds in Thailand. Not to eat, just to cool down in the air conditioning, have an iced drink that’s not too risky, and use a clean toilet.

10 hours ago, dillinger said:

Yes have a look folks.

Once I found out a full packet went in the bin then when I was at my Son's house two boxes went into his bin.

He didn't mind once I explained 😎

Not sure I understand the logic of throwing them away. You've already given them your money. OK so don't buy any more from them but throwing the food away is daft.