DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure where you get that from. The Welsh word for ambulance is SNALWIBMA. It's actually written on the front of them.

According to my Welsh mate the Welsh word for microwave is 'poppety ping' 

Coal miner.

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

What is "black man" in Welsh?

Wales is an ancient land.

The people of Wales have their own language which predates the ancient Egyptians.

Rather like Yiddish, modern words and phrases are incorporated into normal conversation, and writing.

There are no Welsh words for new fangled gadgets such as television, video recorder, computer, camera, cassette tapes, or motorcar.

In Wales, people of colour, didn't really arrive until around four hundred years ago. 

Hence, there is no actual translation for 'Black Man' into the Welsh language.

A typical usage would be something like 'Croeso y Cymru Black Man, Penally Cymraeg, Nac Wyt.

Actually, the most recent addition to Welsh is pysgod y sglodion.

Which means horse and cart.  :)

Edited by Bedrag Justesen
17 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

The people of Wales have their own language which predates the ancient Egyptians.

Rather like Yiddish, modern words and phrases are incorporated into normal conversation, and writing.

There are no Welsh words for new fangled gadgets such as television, video recorder, computer, camera, cassette tapes, or motorcar.

In Wales, people of colour, didn't really arrive until around four hundred years ago. 

A typical usage would be something like 'Croeso y Cymru Black Man, Penally Cymraeg, Nac Wyt.

Also, ffenestr, pont and llyfr which is from the latin fenestram, pontem and liber

imagine living in a world before the Romans came and having no windows, bridges or books, nor the words to describe them.

25 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

12 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Very good.

To take your point, and get cross about it, one thing that really pissed me off about the Welsh language facists is that prior to the 1990's there were loads of words for 'new things' that were essentially the English word with a 'Welsh accent'.  To me this is reasonable -- that is how languages evolve, by borrowing new words from other sources and using them as their own.

But in the 1990's (well, from late 80's) they went through and pretty-much invented new 'Welsh' words for all the borrowed words, and then shamed anyone who continued to use the 'old word'.  Of course, they only removed the words with an English origin -- Latin, French, etc were all left in.

The stupid thing is, if you speak with people in actually 'old Welsh' areas they still use that method of a core Welsh with a splattering of borrowed foreign (mostly English) words and idioms.  It is only in the nouveau Welsh areas like Cardiff and coastal Gogland that insist on using the invented pure language.

[Welsh 'tradition' is full of this -- like the historical eisteddfod traditions with druids etc that were actually invented in the 19th century by a man called Iolo (actually called Edward, and a forger of the historical Welsh documents that he used as a base of his new-found 'tradition').  If you want to make the Taffia cross mention that the first 'modern' eisteddfod was held in Primrose Hill, London]

All the above would get me thrown out of Carmarthen or Llanelli.  Oh well, no great loss.

4 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

That's not true.

Welsh people refer to microwave as a microwave.

When English people come to work in Wales, often they hear colleagues using the microwave exclaiming 'Ahyabasta'.

This happens when a pie or a poptart burns fingers.

Translated into English, it actually means ' Arghh you bastard '.

7 minutes ago, dgul said:

Very good.

To take your point, and get cross about it, one thing that really pissed me off about the Welsh language facists is that prior to the 1990's there were loads of words for 'new things' that were essentially the English word with a 'Welsh accent'.  To me this is reasonable -- that is how languages evolve, by borrowing new words from other sources and using them as their own.

But in the 1990's (well, from late 80's) they went through and pretty-much invented new 'Welsh' words for all the borrowed words, and then shamed anyone who continued to use the 'old word'.  Of course, they only removed the words with an English origin -- Latin, French, etc were all left in.

The stupid thing is, if you speak with people in actually 'old Welsh' areas they still use that method of a core Welsh with a splattering of borrowed foreign (mostly English) words and idioms.  It is only in the nouveau Welsh areas like Cardiff and coastal Gogland that insist on using the invented pure language.

[Welsh 'tradition' is full of this -- like the historical eisteddfod traditions with druids etc that were actually invented in the 19th century by a man called Iolo (actually called Edward, and a forger of the historical Welsh documents that he used as a base of his new-found 'tradition').  If you want to make the Taffia cross mention that the first 'modern' eisteddfod was held in Primrose Hill, London]

All the above would get me thrown out of Carmarthen or Llanelli.  Oh well, no great loss.

There's fascists everywhere. Take comfort in the fact they have no friends.

How do you say "Fuck off tourists, we want cheaper houses"?

Claims that a second home "crisis" is threatening the Welsh language in its very heartlands has prompted a 20 mile march as activists demand action.

Prompted by recent figures showing that 40% of all house sales in Gwynedd are now for second homes, campaigners trekked from Nefyn to Caernarfon on Saturday while urging the Welsh Government to implement emergency measures to stem their flow.

Nefyn Town Council has been particularly active over recent months, reporting that 30% of houses in Edern and 15% in Morfa Nefyn are holiday homes, while claiming that prices have gone “through the roof” since lockdown despite the average local wage being £16,000.

According to Gwynedd's housing department, an additional 811 houses are needed in the county every year to meet current local demand, but with 830 homes being "lost" as second homes, this creates a "gap" of 1,641

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/activists-20-mile-march-highlight-19004599

6 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

That's not true.

Welsh people refer to microwave as a microwave.

When English people come to work in Wales, often they hear colleagues using the microwave exclaiming 'Ahyabasta'.

This happens when a pie or a poptart burns fingers.

Translated into English, it actually means ' Arghh you bastard '.

As always, youtube speaks the truth:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c1HBCQjCEdk

1 hour ago, Carl Fimble said:

What is "black man" in Welsh?

My first reaction upon seeing this was to think of Mari Lwyd. Sometimes men who used to take part in this would blacken their face with coal dust... or, um, simply not wash their faces after finishing their shift down pit.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=+Mari+Lwyd+

I will elaborate on @Bedrag Justesen post and say that Welsh is very sexual and does not have gender neutral words like person and there is no word for Africa so if you wanted to avoid English all together you would have to go round the houses to describe a Black African.

Something like this but I'm not very brilliant at Welsh.

y dyn lliwgar rhyfedd hwnnw o wlad ymhell i'r de

which is relatively a compact way of saying

that peculiar looking black coloured man from a country far to the south

3 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Yes!

At least that's what Google translates "black man" into Welsh :

"dyn du"

xD

Well, that's the thing.

When I was little dyn du (ddu) meant 'bad man' or somesuch and wasn't a race thing.  (ie, same origins as black sheep or black pig).  

But note that I didn't ever hear Welsh for 'a person that is black' because there weren't any black folk around.

Dyn du seems commonplace now as the words for 'black man'.  I suppose that's how languages evolve.