DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Are you thinking of one in particular,  or particular country,  or just all castles generally?

I would imagine for the better known ones most of the history will be well documented online.  For smaller ones,  if they are family or trust owned, the history may not be well documented or just be on scraps of paper somewhere. For those you probably would need to visit..  but be aware some may not have as much history as you think.  I believe most English ones date back to the normans..  so you're talking 900 years or less.  They were constructed for state/military control,  and most have never seen a real battle (except possibly during the civil war)..  more have fallen into ruin through neglect.  

Edited by Libspero
1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

What a depressing topic :(

I want to climb a mountain but I don't wish to travel to one so have built a small one in my front room and run up and down it.

I think if you investigate the history enough the desire to actually visit will become much stronger. And you’ll really appreciate it once you do, because you’ll understand what you’re seeing.

I never visit historic places just because they’re available and convenient. Only if their history has come to my attention and I’ve learned a bit about them. I have been to the pyramids at Giza, but not to Woking palace.

To the OP, lidar maps are interesting if there is coverage. Youtube has interesting videos on most places of significance, although most good footage is recycled into every offering. Specific castles may have specific good sources, is there a reason you kept the query general?

11 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

I have been to the pyramids at Giza, but not to Woking palace.

I have little interest in pyramids, and I only went because I couldn't get a flight that day. I have even less interest in Woking, despite "War of the Worlds" having happened there.

Just now, MrPin said:

I have little interest in pyramids, and I only went because I couldn't get a flight that day. I have even less interest in Woking, despite "War of the Worlds" having happened there.

I have taken a copy of War of the Worlds down to “the sandpit”, the bowl depression on Horsell common, and read it on a sunny afternoon. Very atmospheric.

I'm on my own at the moment, Nick has gone back to the UK for a couple of weeks to sort out some stuff.

So I thought I'd turn to the bucket list of things I could always do while he's here but never do, and I've already caught up with the remainder of Ian Fleming's work, got pissed on vodka and coke, and learned how to conjugate some irregular Italian verbs in all the tenses that I never knew before. Cue cries of "man, you know how to live".

I have this romantic idea of exploring castles and their history. We particularly liked doing that in Scotland. Urquhart castle remains one of the most intriguing because it's in such a picturesque atmospheric location. But I can't track down much about that except for a few web pages. Nobody seems to know a lot about it.

I can't go to these places - it is predominantly British castles which interest me - so I was looking to have some sort of interactive experience from the comfort of the apartment.

The idea of a computer game also springs to mind where you can build your own.

2 hours ago, DTMark said:

I'm on my own at the moment, Nick has gone back to the UK for a couple of weeks to sort out some stuff.

So I thought I'd turn to the bucket list of things I could always do while he's here but never do, and I've already caught up with the remainder of Ian Fleming's work, got pissed on vodka and coke, and learned how to conjugate some irregular Italian verbs in all the tenses that I never knew before. Cue cries of "man, you know how to live".

I have this romantic idea of exploring castles and their history. We particularly liked doing that in Scotland. Urquhart castle remains one of the most intriguing because it's in such a picturesque atmospheric location. But I can't track down much about that except for a few web pages. Nobody seems to know a lot about it.

I can't go to these places - it is predominantly British castles which interest me - so I was looking to have some sort of interactive experience from the comfort of the apartment.

A colleague of mine sent me some link to free virtual tours of places a few weeks ago. Most of them were no use as they were taking place during the working day (no idea). It was Italy that week and they had things like the San Siro, Spanish steps and Coliseum. 

A week later it was the US and, bizarrely, they were also on during the European working day. 

I don't think I know of any UK remote castle tour info. As said, YouTube is probably your best bet. 

Edit to add: You've just reminded me I want to go and see Kreuzenstein next time I go across the border to Austria. 

Leobendorf_-_Burg_Kreuzenstein_(2).JPG

Edited by The Generation Game
3 hours ago, DTMark said:

I've camped across from Dunnotter castle. Amazing spot. 

3 hours ago, DTMark said:

in brief most English ones, that survived smiting in the civil war, were turned into Arthurian pastiche pleasure palaces as England was pretty much civilised.

Those in Wales and Scotland, still largely barbarian, look much more business like.

Harlech, for example, looks pretty much as it did when built albeit a little run down. Windsor couldn't withstand an attack of the vapours.

The ideal of the original Norman castles was to project power, the aircraft carrier of its day. You couldn't take one without sustained assault and an vastly numerically asymmetrical force.

Sometime during your siege, a relieving army rolls up and puts your besiegers to the sword.

Your small highly armed and trained force, within the castle, can ride out and pillage at will.

The cannon put paid to the castle, eventually, as a siege could be carried out before the relieving army arrived. You could destroy the garrison but not hold the shattered castle against the relieving army when it did turn up.

3 hours ago, GBDamo said:

in brief most English ones, that survived smiting in the civil war, were turned into Arthurian pastiche pleasure palaces as England was pretty much civilised.

Those in Wales and Scotland, still largely barbarian, look much more business like.

Harlech, for example, looks pretty much as it did when built albeit a little run down. Windsor couldn't withstand an attack of the vapours.

The ideal of the original Norman castles was to project power, the aircraft carrier of its day. You couldn't take one without sustained assault and an vastly numerically asymmetrical force.

Sometime during your siege, a relieving army rolls up and puts your besiegers to the sword.

Your small highly armed and trained force, within the castle, can ride out and pillage at will.

The cannon put paid to the castle, eventually, as a siege could be carried out before the relieving army arrived. You could destroy the garrison but not hold the shattered castle against the relieving army when it did turn up.

Did you ever play Age of Empires? Sounds like it'd be right up your street.