• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

What is tax for?

My reaction to Sarah's thread about free sports for some got me thinking. What exactly should tax, that all of us on her pay, I think, go towards.  I'll start.

• looking after the elderly properly (if they have contributed)
  • educating the population.  There is a rider on this.  You must be capable, set through stiff entry requirements and employers must be made to contribute to vocational education 
  • health.  Again a rider. All should contribute at point of delivery to stop it being abused.  So, a charge for a gp appointment and towards prescriptions. No exceptions. 
  • Out of work benifits. A proper safety net for those who have contributed and time limited (nod to @spygirlfor this)
  • childcare. A single monthly payment to all, set low but at least a contribution towards children.  This is so that the state recognises that we need the next generation. Limited to two and not mad extras fro the feckless. 

Thats it for now n

Defence of the country and its people.
Upholding the rule of law.
Building and maintaining shared infrastructure.
Legislature to prevent and police fraud, monopolisic behaviour, snake oil and the like.
A limited safety net - bunk bed and three hot meals in a dorm.

I'm ambivalent about whether tax should be used to fund healthcare.

I don't think the state has any business meddling with education.
You want kids, pay for them yourself.

1 minute ago, NTB said:

Defence of the country and its people.
Upholding the rule of law.

Building and maintaining shared infrastructure.
Legislature to prevent and police fraud, monopolisic behaviour, snake oil and the like.
A limited safety net - bunk bed and three hot meals in a dorm.

I'm ambivalent about whether tax should be used to fund healthcare.

I don't think the state has any business meddling with education.
You want kids, pay for them yourself.

We don't appear to be doing these two very effectively 

Just now, One percent said:

We don't appear to be doing these two very effectively 

Indeed, and we seem to be spending a lot of money on things that are much less important instead.

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Maybe we should add what tax should not be spent on. 

and a category for things that can be spent on once the national debt is eradicated.

Officially, for the general good and upkeep of the nation.

Realistically, it's for pissing up the wall in vast quantities on half-arsed schemes and high level bodgery. Occasionally a few quid is left over for things like, y'know - roads 'n stuff.

A prime example, 45 million quid spent on achieving the square root of fuck-all when it came to developing what was a fucking stupid idea in the first place.

Cunts

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-london-40921373

3 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Officially, for the general good and upkeep of the nation.

Realistically, it's for pissing up the wall in vast quantities on half-arsed schemes and high level bodgery. Occasionally a few quid is left over for things like, y'know - roads 'n stuff.

A prime example, 45 million quid spent on achieving the square root of fuck-all when it came to developing what was a fucking stupid idea in the first place.

Cunts

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-london-40921373

It didn't all go to waste on that imaginary bridge. I bet there were a lot of mates who made out like bandits and did very well. How the fuck do you spend 45 million on a plan?  

5 minutes ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

If the State, rather than banks, created money and spent it into the economy would we even need tax?

But then your earned money would be worth even less than it is now is it would be constantly devalued by what would effectively be negative interest rates.

The purpose of tax is to manipulate the economy.  Promote areas that need promotion, hinder areas that need hindering, stimulate in recession, slowdown in boom times.  Everything else is just a sideshow.

8 hours ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

I'm not talking about debt though - not borrowing money, creating money.

Wasn't that where most of it came from though?  

Quantitive easing..   printing money and lending it to yourself via a third party?

Whilst hypothetical for me as I don't pay tax (bar NI and VAT) I'd like to see an options listing issued to each taxpayer.

How much of your taxes do you wish to spend upon:

• The NHS
  • The Police
  • Old Age Pensions
  • Defence
  • Border forces
  • Roads and bridges
  • Schools
  • Foreign aid

And that is then the budget that the government has on these plus a general pot from Corporation Tax, VAT.  NI ringfenced for benefits including pensions for contributors.