DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Car was due MOT in April, got 6 month extension, so had it in today.

BMW 5 series, 7.5 years old, 94k miles, in reasonable nick.

Went in totally fine, but since it's 18 months since last MOT i was expecting the usual crap about this and that needing done.

New brake discs and pads which I can just about accept, but also new coil springs offside front and rear. All in the BMW garage was looking for approx £1k. I said i'd take it away and think about it.

Pick the car up and the suspension on one side is totally shot, car bouncing about everywhere, banging and clanging at the slightest bump and when I parked it the wheel arches are nearly on top of the tyre.

So...other than send them a stroppy email, what can I do? Should the MOT test itself be capable of damaging the coil springs if they close to failing? Should I insist they fix the damage they've caused?

Any thoughts?

IMG_20201005_171909.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I take mine to the local council mot center, they don't do repairs so have no reason to fail you to pay for the owners mortgage repayments or kids school fees.

They'll have noticed a flaw in it and had a go with a crowbar.  But the flaw will have been there -- they won't have created it. When this sort of thing happens you shouldn't shout 'fucking MOT p

Probably already cracked, if so the springs fall apart when they put the car on a lift and take the weight off the suspension.

Posted Images

A coil spring should never fail under an MOT test but there is always the chance like everything, probably 1:100,000 for every mile you drive. If there is any corrosion on a coil spring its life will be starting to wane.

Looks life the offside rear has gone, for it to fail during MOT it would have to have been cut or literally about to go.

Problem with a failed spring is it could go through the tyre, as such they should have not let you drive it away from the test centre.

Edited by Chewing Grass
6 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

A coil spring should never fail under an MOT test but there is always the chance like everything, probably 1:100,000 for every mile you drive. If there is any corrosion on a coil spring its life will be starting to wane.

Looks life the offside rear has gone, for it to fail during MOT it would have to have been cut or literally about to go.

Problem with a failed spring is it could go through the tyre, as such they should have not let you drive it away from the test centre.

Any kind of spring defect is a 'dangerous' major defect and yes they should strongly recommend that the vehicle is not driven until repaired.

They can't stop you taking it away but if you get stopped by plod you're in for a reaming for driving an unroadworthy car.

Edited by Boglet
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Boglet said:

Any kind of spring defect is a 'dangerous' major defect and yes they should strongly recommend that the vehicle is not driven until repaired.

They can't stop you taking it away but if you get stopped by plod you're in for a reaming for driving an unroadworthy car.

They didn't let on how serious it was but I only stay 3 miles from the BMW garage and was ready to chuck it before I got home ☹️.

Just a 3 mile trek to the local independent to get it fixed.....

Edited by choochoo
Spelling

They'll have noticed a flaw in it and had a go with a crowbar.  But the flaw will have been there -- they won't have created it.

When this sort of thing happens you shouldn't shout 'fucking MOT place!' but actually 'thank God they have it a good whack with the hammer -- it might have gone when doing 80mph on the motorway.'

But don't get it done there.  Springs are generally an easy job (albeit with the whole 'lethal energy when compressed during the change') and shouldn't take too much time -- at 7+ years old it's way too old for the main dealer -- get an independent to look at it.

That said, this is bad timing -- if you need the car you might be best off giving the job to them and then spend the next couple of months trying to find a decent local independent.  As a first step you could try asking taxi drivers where to go, but that's just a guide, not a 'definitely use them'.

23 minutes ago, choochoo said:

Should the MOT test itself be capable of damaging the coil springs if they close to failing?

I'm sure I've seen or felt as part of the MOT some vibrating mechanism under each wheel or built in as part of the rolling road. I suppose it is a more sophisticated version of what we do at home of bouncing the corners of the car. Your car must be worth spending the money on as it will go on for another ten years. Get the old coil when you have it repaired to see if the fracture is shiny metal still, indicating the break occured during the MOT and not weeks or months ago.

As an aside I know someone who got up in the morning to go to work and had a flat tyre, thought bugger, got the jack out, jacked the car up, undid the nuts but couldn't pull the wheel off even though it was loose on the hub.

Turned out the front spring had failed on the drive, pierced the tyre and was stuck in it.

That's why springs are dangerous when they fail and he lived 1/4 mile off the motorway!!!

Edited by Chewing Grass

had another thought, I had a rear spring go on an old Saab once, it just bounced up the road a bit, wasn't a problem cos front wheel drive car....and I was driving like a knob at the time, one of my pastimes xD

Yours is rear wheel drive so you need to get your head under the rear end and see what is 'rubbing'......take some pics.....

You don't want to damage your 'drive shaft'...that gets expensive and complicated then....

Good luck! 

Just now, Nippy said:

Despite huge advances in material science, modern coils don't seem to last anywhere near as long as they used to. It could be our modern third world road surfaces, I suppose. I often see bits of coil lying on the road and wonder whether the driver even realises.

I think its down to the weight of cars nowadays, a Golf is twice the weight it was 25 years ago and BMW / Audi can weigh up to 3000kg.

Plus low profile rubber on wheels transfers huge shock loads to the springs as the tyres do sweet FA in that department.

Add the two together and the poor spring is fucked, can't wait to see what happens to Tesla and other EV springs as they age.

5 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

I think its down to the weight of cars nowadays, a Golf is twice the weight it was 25 years ago

Actually one of worst cars I ever owned about 25 years ago was a Golf VR6 - it was a lardy, front heavy POS

I've just looked up the weight and quoted at 1200kg.........I know that's lightish for a lot of shite on the roads nowadays but other Golfs aren't much heavier than that nowadays........the French still make motors in the 1100-1200kg.....most manufacturers have lost the plot nowadays but the fat gits that drive em don't seem to care....

Yours

Nerdy bloke

PS I had a MK II Golf GTI too, sachs suspension, that was fooking A+++++:)

9 minutes ago, 5min OCD speculator said:

I've just looked up the weight and quoted at 1200kg.........I know that's lightish for a lot of shite on the roads nowadays but other Golfs aren't much heavier than that nowadays.....

I was probably thinking the MK1 Golf (time has past me by) which weighed 790kg (amazing) and the MK8 which weighs 1465Kg with the Egolf being another 200Kg fatter.

Cars should be lighter in the 21st Century than the 20th Century never mind the 1970s.

Edited by Chewing Grass

I've been on a 'nerd hunt' in case I was talking shite lol.......

MK7 Golf introduced in 2013......just about to get replaced BUT that 1.4 TSI GT model is a remarkable piece of kit.....can cover ground like a whippet (tested :P) but can be economical at the same time.....weight 1195kg

https://www.parkers.co.uk/volkswagen/golf/hatchback-2013/14-tsi-(150bhp)-gt-3d/specs/

Car magazine said of it at the time

There is no doubt about it: the Golf Mk7 hits bullseye. It is everything we expected, and more – a surprisingly rewarding driver’s car, more refined than any of its rivals, very comfortable and compliant, and a roomy, quality piece of kit. Everybody from Vauxhall to Mercedes, and even the Golf’s Audi and Seat stablemates, should fear it. The Golf has always been exceptionally good; but this is an exceptional Golf.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/volkswagen/vw-golf-14-tsi-2013-review/

Edited by 5min OCD speculator

Break the other three, and you have a low rider, and be a real gangsta. It wouldn't look out of place round here, and you'd get real respecta.

Seriously - I use Formula 1 garages, they are usually quick and reasonable on price. But check the online reviews locally.

48 minutes ago, 5min OCD speculator said:

cheeky bastards.....I'd change the coils myself and go and shove the broken one up the mechanics arse.....

Always watch the feckers doing an mot, pretend you're stupid..... :P

You can get some Eibach springs now, they're the DBs.....make you go faster too xD

I’ve got Eubanks prints on my car, they are ok but don’t seat that well and are quite noisy.

You can’t beat original parts IMO

Just now, whitevanman said:

I’ve got Eubanks prints on my car, they are ok but don’t seat that well and are quite noisy.

You can’t beat original parts IMO

Eibach springs WTF?!