DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

New 'right to employ' laws

Apologies if already covered but I keep hearing .gov missives on the radio about employing people, including Europeans from Jan 2021.

They state there are income tests, language tests etc.

They also say that the employer needs to apply for permission to employ, and it can take 8 weeks to process.

If this is all true, isn't it a massive game changer? Unless you can pay your bar staff £25k, or your kitchen porter speaks fluent English, you will have to employ a brit.

Anyone know more about this?

51 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Apologies if already covered but I keep hearing .gov missives on the radio about employing people, including Europeans from Jan 2021.

They state there are income tests, language tests etc.

They also say that the employer needs to apply for permission to employ, and it can take 8 weeks to process.

If this is all true, isn't it a massive game changer? Unless you can pay your bar staff £25k, or your kitchen porter speaks fluent English, you will have to employ a brit.

Anyone know more about this?

rules are just dust without enforcement.

Which agency is going to enforce?  How long to punishment?  How are fines collected?

Otherwise, I'll just set up a series of kebab shops and phoenix them each time that I get inspected and failed (oh, once every 10 years, I bet)

3 minutes ago, wherebee said:

Which agency is going to enforce?  How long to punishment?  How are fines collected?

Otherwise, I'll just set up a series of kebab shops and phoenix them each time that I get inspected and failed (oh, once every 10 years, I bet)

The kebab shops are irrelevant. The big firms (and councils, the NHS etc) will have to abide by the laws.

20 minutes ago, wherebee said:

And what loopholes will be deliberately left in the legislation.  Shortage areas for one I would think. 

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-jobs-row-as-romanian-fruit-pickers-arrive-for-harvest-11974364

No chance. The elite are addicted to cheap labour - the impact on quality of life on normal people due to increased crime, lowering of wages, increases in rent and congestion, even the odd suicide bombing are irrelevant to them and brushed aside as racist.

Remember that it took them literally 2 weeks whilst the country was under house arrest and media was in overdrive running scare stories before they shipped in planeloads of fruitpickers?

For a start we need to follow the German approach to registration - you get 1 week to register at the Town Hall (filling a form in German, not with options for 100 different languages) so they can actually monitor something. Would reveal some uncomfortable numbers I suspect.

19 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

Unless you can pay your bar staff £25k, or your kitchen porter speaks fluent English, you will have to employ a brit.

To be fair I never not once remember meeting an EE in UK who did not speak fluent English. Maybe there are some, I don't know, but doubt it will be a major thing.

Not having a go at you WF but it annoys me intensely when someone says "Brit." I would get my arse handed to me if I shortened the nationality of a person from Pakistan or Japan so why is my nationality fair game? 

Not that I actually consider myself British as Britain like the EU is a mythical construct for the convenience of some. 

32 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

To be fair I never not once remember meeting an EE in UK who did not speak fluent English. Maybe there are some, I don't know, but doubt it will be a major thing.

Not having a go at you WF but it annoys me intensely when someone says "Brit." I would get my arse handed to me if I shortened the nationality of a person from Pakistan or Japan so why is my nationality fair game? 

Not that I actually consider myself British as Britain like the EU is a mythical construct for the convenience of some. 

I’m sure japs not classed has racist yet .and I use muzzer in everyday laungwage it’s not racist is it.

7 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-jobs-row-as-romanian-fruit-pickers-arrive-for-harvest-11974364

No chance. The elite are addicted to cheap labour - the impact on quality of life on normal people due to increased crime, lowering of wages, increases in rent and congestion, even the odd suicide bombing are irrelevant to them and brushed aside as racist.

Remember that it took them literally 2 weeks whilst the country was under house arrest and media was in overdrive running scare stories before they shipped in planeloads of fruitpickers?

For a start we need to follow the German approach to registration - you get 1 week to register at the Town Hall (filling a form in German, not with options for 100 different languages) so they can actually monitor something. Would reveal some uncomfortable numbers I suspect.

True.

But let's see how keen the politicians are to oblige they are with 4 million unemployed.

23 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

I’m sure japs not classed has racist yet .and I use muzzer in everyday laungwage it’s not racist is it.

Jap is an English abbreviation of the word "Japanese". Today, it is generally regarded as an ethnic slur among Japanese minority populations in other countries, although English-speaking countries differ in the degree to which they consider the term offensive. In the United States, Japanese Americans have come to find the term very controversial or extremely offensive, even when used as an abbreviation, after the events of the internment of Japanese Americans.[1] In the past, Jap was not considered primarily offensive; however, during and after the events of World War II, the term became derogatory.[2] Nisei veterans who served in World War II were shunned with signs that read "No Japs Allowed" and "No Japs Wanted", denied service in shops and restaurants, and had their homes and property vandalized.

Wankypedia

I can't say Jap at work that's for sure it's on a par with chínk.

55 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Ooh, what do you identify as? 

Iceni?

Dobunni?

Cantiaci?

5 minutes ago, GBDamo said:

Ooh, what do you identify as? 

Iceni?

Dobunni?

Cantiaci?

I understand your point; because the tribes change all the time it's ultimately futile to consider yourself a member of anything. Doesn't seem to stop most on here though.

I would probably have to go for Atrebates who I think were more or less from Oxford to Basingstoke.

Realistically in 2020 I will settle for "English."

Edited by Funn3r
Although actually "Dobunni" sounds pretty cool, never heard of but yes I will have those instead