• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Main Theme?

An exclusively off topic forum has nothing to draw in new posters so I suggest that there be one or more main forums and a forum "ethos"; poncey word but if you were to describe what the forum is about what would you say?

I'm no fan of vast numbers of forums as Piston Heads has but maybe a couple of On Topic forums, or even just one?

Based upon the main discussions we had on and off topic in the other place I'd suggest:

House Prices and the Economy

And nothing else.  All the car, survivalist, relationship and politics threads can happily sit here.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

An exclusively off topic forum has nothing to draw in new posters so I suggest that there be one or more main forums and a forum "ethos"; poncey word but if you were to describe what the forum is about what would you say?

I'm no fan of vast numbers of forums as Piston Heads has but maybe a couple of On Topic forums, or even just one?

Based upon the main discussions we had on and off topic in the other place I'd suggest:

House Prices and the Economy

And nothing else.  All the car, survivalist, relationship and politics threads can happily sit here.

We should steer clear of anything house related.

3 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Done Frank... Let me know your thoughts, I've targeted it more towards economy in general since several asked for it. :)

Cheers spunko, ideal.  Though it was only a suggestion!

Really I'd like this to be what HPC used to be.

I have no axe to grind against Fubra as, per the posts about IMDB, it is purely a commercial venture, they paid for the HPC forum and are interested in the Google advertising return and nothing else. It will become increasingly saccharine.

For me there is still a deep interest in the economic outcomes of the precipitous situation the developed world has got into. House prices are central to that, as we know, as is the proliferation of monetisation and credit and the suppression of wages caused by globalization and immigration.

I don't actually think that, post the initial crash period and analysis, FUBAR ever really understood the interconnection of the issues in OT and their main theme.

Exactly why I stuck with HPC. I thought the economy was farked, and we were all being lied to. Although OT has some intersting characters.

We are still waiting for JoeD and Bossy, and DTMark

Now there were some pretty wonky bastards on OT once, but they seemed to have left.

45 minutes ago, This Time said:

We should steer clear of anything house related.

Why?

The problem for the last few years with HPC has been that people, including me, have been thinking that it was still the old forum with a moral purpose, users as moderators with whom you could raise things, and bans for trolls rather than subject matter.

It isn't. It's there to make money from clicks and views for Google advertising. It could be talking about fluffy puppies as far as Fubra is concerned as long as the volumes stay up.

There's no reason that the original ethos cannot be successfully recreated.  Especially as the much vaunted Crash looks a lot more close to hand.

8 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I thought the economy was farked, and we were all being lied to.

I know the economy is farked, I know we are all being lied to and I know we are all being milked of every penny they can get away with. Once everyone under thirty realises that they will be working till they die the shit will hit twitter and facebook.

5 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

I know the economy is farked, I know we are all being lied to and I know we are all being milked of every penny they can get away with. Once everyone under thirty realises that they will be working till they die the shit will hit twitter and facebook.

Yes really important places like that! Cheer up Grassy!:ph34r:

27 minutes ago, blobloblob said:

Can we have a house price ramping forum?

No need when we have MSE already :P

As for working 'til I die, my dad died a few months after retiring, he had many plans. The lady who bought my old house died about a year after retiring. I think it does you in if you do work but also if you don't... The trick is to never work!

I've just been over to the old site to see if there's a way to let them know I've left, can't see any way to. There is a topic declaring that they allowed posters leeway to notify others of this forum, although it was strictly against HPC forum rules to allow advertising of other sites. The rules will be strictly enforced now.

Also there is a warning that all content on the old site is copyright. That's a shame as I'd like to be able to recreate some of the very unmemorable posts I've made over the years.

1 minute ago, sleepwello'nights said:

I've just been over to the old site to see if there's a way to let them know I've left, can't see any way to. There is a topic declaring that they allowed posters leeway to notify others of this forum, although it was strictly against HPC forum rules to allow advertising of other sites. The rules will be strictly enforced now.

Also there is a warning that all content on the old site is copyright. That's a shame as I'd like to be able to recreate some of the very unmemorable posts I've made over the years.

It's not the case that once you've said something on one forum you can't say it on another. Post what you like, just don't copy and paste whole topics or other people's posts.

3 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

No need when we have MSE already :P

As for working 'til I die, my dad died a few months after retiring, he had many plans. The lady who bought my old house died about a year after retiring. I think it does you in if you do work but also if you don't... The trick is to never work!

Fame at last!

Bruce Banner's status is a bit odd. Whilst I entirely agreed with his views it was pointed out on UF that when people had serious clashes with him on threads they were often banned as a result so he either was, or had the ear of and was the voice of, the mods. Hence Banner.

4 hours ago, blobloblob said:

Can we have a house price ramping forum?

You'd better start looking like Blakey from "On The Buses" real soon - or I'm calling you out as fake blobby.

XYY

2 minutes ago, Mrs XYY said:

You'd better start looking like Blakey from "On The Buses" real soon - or I'm calling you out as fake blobby.

XYY

Yup Geordie women eh? I have some fond memories of Newcastle!

14 minutes ago, Mrs XYY said:

XYY

Was thinking of a makeover to be honest. I was Cliff Richard for the 1st couple of years over there. Might go retro again. 

1 minute ago, The XYY Man said:

Howay Pinny man - that's wor lass you're chatting-up there...!

XYY

You leave Sooty alone you big pig - unlike you, he's a proper gentleman and a bit of a toff.

Mrs XYY