DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Adverts on t'internet

If any of you have seen Ready Player One, you'll be familiar with the scene where they show an example of how the online world can be monetised by maximising adverts.

I sometimes feel the internet is almost at that point. The majority of websites are almost unusable due to adverts, i'm continually having to reject cookies on my laptop and phone.

Help me out. How do I avoid this pain?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Agree. It is refreshing not having adverts here. ...almost as refreshing as a cool crisp Pepsi. You know where to go when the thirst strikes - just get a Pepsi.

specifically for blocking cookie prompts: https://www.i-dont-care-about-cookies.eu

I mean no disrespect but if there's one thing that annoys me it's people unable to Google "adblock". Apparently that's about 85% of internet users... the mind boggles.   

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, choochoo said:

If any of you have seen Ready Player One, you'll be familiar with the scene where they show an example of how the online world can be monetised by maximising adverts.

I sometimes feel the internet is almost at that point. The majority of websites are almost unusable due to adverts, i'm continually having to reject cookies on my laptop and phone.

I don't think putting so many adverts on a site that it's unusable is a good long term strategy. Judging by the state of the internet most people with a website seem to disagree.

I've just given up on most sites.

2 minutes ago, spunko said:

I mean no disrespect but if there's one thing that annoys me it's people unable to Google "adblock". Apparently that's about 85% of internet users... the mind boggles. 

I don't think adblock works on kindle.

And more and more sites block you if you are using adblock.

17 minutes ago, spunko said:

I tried doing that, but all the websites google took me to were too full of adverts to be useable.

xD

26 minutes ago, spunko said:

No offence taken!

On my android it wants me to install an adblock browser...😴😴

I think what annoys me is that whilst I use adblock, there are a lot of sites which start giving you grief for using it, and then when you disabled it you get so many ads constantly loading in that the browser window keeps scrolling back upto the top, making the site unusable.....

Then you have sites which are designed for mobile use, but they load an ad on screen which you cannot close BECAUSE it's a mobile site and you cannot zoom in and across to the pissing X button.

eBay, it will go through week long phases where the homepage will cause my browser to crash, making the site unusable, if I go into private browsing mode the problem stops (adblock stops it too, but causes other problems), so it's clearly the ads.

Do these idiots not realise that they're fucking up their own damn websites with this shite?

Edited by Snark
9 hours ago, choochoo said:

Using a mobile device to view websites is slow, and sometimes painful. I usually use the computer.

It's why I guess powerful i9 desktop computers are out there to buy, not to perform NASA type calculations, but just to power through the bloated websites.

9 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

Any website that blocks adblock doesn't get used. It's not difficult to do there's no website that worthy that I need to faff about unblocking adverts on. I just don't go on it again.

23 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

anyway to stop the ads interrupting youtube videos, pretty much ruins the experience ?

Don't use the app.

Download adblock on either mobile or desktop. Firefox on mobile is the best for blocking ads.

33 minutes ago, spunko said:

Any website that blocks adblock doesn't get used. It's not difficult to do there's no website that worthy that I need to faff about unblocking adverts on. I just don't go on it again.

Sadly the American paper that covers my lads sporting exploits insists I disable adblock.

And then has so many bloody adverts that it burns through my free tunnelbear data in seconds.

Bastards.

10 hours ago, choochoo said:

Brave Browser for sure. Works great on Android as well (download the app).  

9 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

kindle is designed for consumer cunts - product of Bad Boy Bezos :P

If a website blocks you cos of adblock it's likely to be a steaming pile of shite but happy to be proven wrong.....

examples please?

edit: just seen your post re yankee site so yeah POS there :Old:

Edited by 5min OCD speculator
3 minutes ago, 5min OCD speculator said:

kindle is designed for consumer cunts - product of Bad Boy Bezos :P

If a website blocks you cos of adblock it's likely to be a steaming pile of shite but happy to be proven wrong.....

examples please?

edit: just seen your post re yankee site so yeah POS there :Old:

I like my kindle fire.

Was about £35 four years ago and does for me what an expensive ipad would do.

Best value thing I have ever bought.