DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Farewell to the 747: End of an era as Heathrow waves goodbye to last BA jumbo jet

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/comment/final-ba-heathrow-747-jumbo-jet/

I think the link works in a private window. But regardless, BA has officially retired it's last 747's. Those bloody great big planes have taken me all over the world and I lived under the Heathrow flight path for twenty-odd years watching (hearing!) them come and go. It's just a plane, but I'm feeling quite nostalgic for them tonight. Seems weird that when taxiing around Heathrow there will be no more BA Jumbos.

Edited by Bandit Banzai
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/comment/final-ba-heathrow-747-jumbo-jet/   I think the link works in a private window. But regardless, BA has officially retired it's last 747's. Those blo

They are it were a damn sight quieter than the old turbojets that preceded the turbofan powered aircraft. Hard to believe they, the 747s, have been in service for near half a century.

The first 747s entered service in January 1970, so they have been in service for just over half a century. More remarkable is that they are still (just) in production, so sme will be in service f

21 minutes ago, Bandit Banzai said:

I think the link works in a private window. But regardless, BA has officially retired it's last 747's. Those bloody great big planes have taken me all over the world and I lived under the Heathrow flight path for twenty-odd years watching (hearing!) them come and go. It's just a plane, but I'm feeling quite nostalgic for them tonight. Seems weird that when taxiing around Heathrow there will be no more BA Jumbos.

They are it were a damn sight quieter than the old turbojets that preceded the turbofan powered aircraft.

Hard to believe they, the 747s, have been in service for near half a century.

3 minutes ago, Rare Bear said:

They are it were a damn sight quieter than the old turbojets that preceded the turbofan powered aircraft.

I used to live in a crappy flat in Iselworth and remember when Concorde came over. You basically couldn't watch telly for five minutes. Now that was an anti-social aircraft. Not that I ever complained - I knew what I was getting into when I moved there. You could almost count the rivets on the planes as they came and went.

After that I was in Teddington for many years - only a mile or so south but it made a huge difference.

It's funny really, I wasn't bothered when Concorde was retired, but going to Heathrow and not seeing BA 747's lined up seems sad.

10 minutes ago, Rare Bear said:

The first 747s entered service in January 1970, so they have been in service for just over half a century.

More remarkable is that they are still (just) in production, so sme will be in service for quite a few years yet, Covid permitting.

The C130 Hercules first flew in 1954 and variants are still being made and expected to remain in USAF service to about 2030, perhaps longer.

The last B-52 was built in 1962. Some are expected to remain in USAF service into the 2050s.

54 minutes ago, Bandit Banzai said:

24 minutes ago, Bandit Banzai said:

I used to live in a crappy flat in Iselworth and remember when Concorde came over. You basically couldn't watch telly for five minutes. Now that was an anti-social aircraft. Not that I ever complained - I knew what I was getting into when I moved there. You could almost count the rivets on the planes as they came and went.

After that I was in Teddington for many years - only a mile or so south but it made a huge difference.

It's funny really, I wasn't bothered when Concorde was retired, but going to Heathrow and not seeing BA 747's lined up seems sad.

I cried when they retired Concorde. I have an original Gibson pic of the Red Arrows and Concorde flying over the QE2, framed and signed by the crew of Concorde, all 9 Red Arrows and the captain of the QE.

I did just check the numbers for safety as I recall hearing Congo airways is restricted from flying to certain destinations including Europe due to too many chickens on board or safety fears.

Turns out Russia is pretty high on the list of flight disasters.  I thought they only shot down other countries passenger planes not their own.  Captain vodka at the controls or something else?

2 minutes ago, Dogtania said:

I did just check the numbers for safety as I recall hearing Congo airways is restricted from flying to certain destinations including Europe due to too many chickens on board or safety fears.

Turns out Russia is pretty high on the list of flight disasters.  I thought they only shot down other countries passenger planes not their own.  Captain vodka at the controls or something else?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroflot_Flight_593

Cockpit voice and flight data recorders revealed the presence of the relief pilot's 12-year-old daughter and 16-year-old son on the flight deck.[2][3][4] While seated at the controls, the pilot's son had unknowingly disengaged the A310's autopilot

1 minute ago, Nippy said:

Will some of them be converted to freight if they have enough life on the airframe? Boeing still have orders for -8F transporters.

I went in a freight one once. there were only about 20 seats.

I was lucky to flight in the 'bubble' (upper deck) in 2016 to Vegas on Virgin in economy.

It was £25 to book a seat in advance.. and when I went to do so, I realised you could book the top deck as Economy. 

300 people downstairs and about 30 upstairs. Same number of staff. Meant I landed each way with a very sore head.

18 minutes ago, sam1994 said:

I was lucky to flight in the 'bubble' (upper deck) in 2016 to Vegas on Virgin in economy.

It was £25 to book a seat in advance.. and when I went to do so, I realised you could book the top deck as Economy. 

300 people downstairs and about 30 upstairs. Same number of staff. Meant I landed each way with a very sore head.

Yes that's what I meant. The only seats were in the upper deck. Everything else was freight.

8 hours ago, Dogtania said:

So where are they getting decommissioned to?  DR Congo where they can literally get run into the ground one day?  Plenty storage for taking livestock in the carry on if so.

7 hours ago, Nippy said:

Will some of them be converted to freight if they have enough life on the airframe? Boeing still have orders for -8F transporters.

Some are at Kemble, ASI dismantle aircraft and sell parts from there but they have a sister company too that it looks like restoring some of them for later use.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/uk-news/inside-eerie-airport-turned-boeing-18672643

7 hours ago, Nippy said:

Only if fitted with new engines. The main reason for the demise is the poor fuel economy compared to newer models. Also the reliability of aircraft engines now means that 4 engined aircraft are a thing of the past. Same reason A380 is being replaced by more economical twin engine planes. 

12 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Only if fitted with new engines. The main reason for the demise is the poor fuel economy compared to newer models. Also the reliability of aircraft engines now means that 4 engined aircraft are a thing of the past. Same reason A380 is being replaced by more economical twin engine planes. 

The A380 *shudder*. Like my old boss used to say: design a horse by committee and you get a camel. 

I've put in a fair few air miles over the last few years and every time I flew I still got excited when it was a 747. Nothing else like it. 

8 hours ago, Nippy said:

Probably some huge country with loads of space where the contaminants can be safely stripped apart away from civilisation, where people are paid a pittance to do basically slave labour jobs. Not the kind of business suited to the West, clearly.

Only joking! South Korea...

46 minutes ago, dgul said:

It looks like the 747 ushered in the era of mass air travel around the world, and its demise will usher in the new era of staying at home.

I go one above that and blame Henry Ford for ruining the modern world. If we didn't have the internal combustion engine or the motorised car, we'd at least still know our neighbour's names, we'd have very limited pollution, we'd eat food sourced from the next village. And no, I'm not being facetious.

58 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

The A380 *shudder*. Like my old boss used to say: design a horse by committee and you get a camel. 

I've put in a fair few air miles over the last few years and every time I flew I still got excited when it was a 747. Nothing else like it. 

When I did a lot of long distance travel I really liked the A380. Found it far more comfortable and quieter than the 777 which seemed to be the alternative. 

Haven't flown on a 747 since 2001. 

14 minutes ago, spunko said:

I go one above that and blame Henry Ford for ruining the modern world. If we didn't have the internal combustion engine or the motorised car, we'd at least still know our neighbour's names, we'd have very limited pollution, we'd eat food sourced from the next village. And no, I'm not being facetious.

Hmm.  Perhaps best to blame Daimler and Benz for the internal combustion engine.

But then should we allow Ford to invent the modern production line..?

Glad BA is finally decommissioning them, they were in a pretty poor state.

Once struck lucky and got upgraded to first class (upstairs). Basically exactly the same as business; same crappy rattly beds, usual grumpy, past-their-best staff. Only difference was the cutlery and quality of the champagne, as far as I could tell...

Much preferred the Dreamliners, the bouncy ride seems to help rock you to sleep!