DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Virus interference - Should I get a flu jab this year?

If you’re vulnerable to flu, you should get the vaccine IMO, to help avoid the possibility of getting flu and Covid together. Especially if you’ve been getting vaccines for years, you’ve probably got a decent wide range of flu virus immunity by now. 

Trying to predict whether the flu vaccine will affect vulnerability to Covid itself is impossible IMO. There are some really weird off-target effects of some vaccines. Which is why I don’t want a Covid vaccine until it’s been tested properly. 

1 hour ago, Roger_Mellie said:

What's your health like generally? I can't understand any healthy young-ish person having the jab. 

I'm a healthy not so youngish person and I have had the jab every year since the year I had flu twice in a month because I don't want to feel that bad again.

5 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Interesting look at whether a 'flu jab will make you more vulnerable to the China virus or whether it has some protective benefit.

Answer. We don't really know but probably, perhaps, maybe helps in some way. 

I don't trust them in the slightest, so there's no way I'd get one. 

18 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I posted the video for others to have info on this. I suspect that many will be wondering what to do this year.

I am having the jab in 2 weeks unless evidence appears before then not to.

A thread on this is important this year I think.

Not having one (never have, can't be bothered, look after myself, don't like going to Drs as they are infection pits)

But more to the point, I expect viruses in general to be low incidence this winter if Covid19 modifications on behavour work.

I've been having it for years after being wiped out for nearly a month back in my thirties, although it was available through my old employer up until last year.

I would still have it but I don't think I'll meet the criteria. The last time I tried to get it not through work I was told no as they didn't have enough and were prioritising at risk groups.

Interestingly when I have had it, I have never had anything other than a bit of a snifle all winter. When not, got it every year and was in bed for at last three or four days so I've always been a fan.

I'd go for it if available at the moment, I wouldn't like to risk both at the same time.

Plague jab might be soon.

The sites will will have capacity to inoculate “tens of thousands of people daily” before the festive season and will be supported by “mobile vaccination units” across the UK, the paper adds. The documents also outline plans for teams aided by military personnel to travel to care homes and high-risk households.

“The earliest we are likely to get the first trial results is in a month’s time - which means the best-case scenario for a potential roll-out is just before Christmas,” a health source told The Sun, adding that “there will be no delay in vaccination once we have a working jab”.

Once a vaccine is approved, the full roll-out is expected to take three to six months, with patients likely to need two injections 28 days apart for the treatment to work.

AstraZeneca, the firm partnering the Oxford University to develop a vaccine, is overseeing a scaling up of manufacturing in parallel with clinical testing so that hundreds of millions of doses can be available if their vaccine is shown to be effective. However, Kate Bingham, the head of the UK’s vaccine task force, has warned that only around 50% of the population will receive one.

“There’s going to be no vaccination of people under 18,” Bingham told the Financial Times, adding: “It’s an adult-only vaccine, for people over 50, focusing on health workers and care home workers and the vulnerable.” 

https://www.hl.co.uk/news/2020/10/9/nhs-preparing-to-roll-out-coronavirus-vaccine-next-month-if-jab-gets-approved?

52 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Up until 2019 I thought flu jabs were for 'old people'. 

People really don't understand flu until they have been properly ill, ie unable to get out of bed, hacking up brown gunge from your lungs with knife like pains and almost a feeling that being dead would be a blessed release.

Yup.

Though I haven't had the brown gunge.

Personally I don't see it as even a question: I'm getting the flu jab because I'm giving myself every chance that I can of not going through that again. 

I'm not even that worried about side effects; nothing else I've had has been anywhere as bad as the flu. 

3 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Up until 2019 I thought flu jabs were for 'old people'. 

People really don't understand flu until they have been properly ill, ie unable to get out of bed, hacking up brown gunge from your lungs with knife like pains and almost a feeling that being dead would be a blessed release.

It's been at least fifteen years since I hacked up a good greeny...

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yup.

Though I haven't had the brown gunge.

Personally I don't see it as even a question: I'm getting the flu jab because I'm giving myself every chance that I can of not going through that again. 

I'm not even that worried about side effects; nothing else I've had has been anywhere as bad as the flu. 

In hindsight, I think I eventually developed pneumonia. I don't like going to the GP and pretty stubborn so pretty locked myself away in a spare bedroom and my wife kept out of my way as much as possible. I felt truly shit for several weeks.

Advice from Scarfy Birx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DmCzCwfAbM&t=0s

Advice from Fishy Fauci
https://youtu.be/udJN8M8Vs-k

Two of the least trustworthy individuals on the planet at least for for COVID-19 advice

Advice from US Surgeon General possibly slightly more reliable
https://youtu.be/4O7OTgm6-v8

3 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

In hindsight, I think I eventually developed pneumonia. I don't like going to the GP and pretty stubborn so pretty locked myself away in a spare bedroom and my wife kept out of my way as much as possible. I felt truly shit for several weeks.

You can get a vaccine against pneumonia if you're in a risk group.

On 09/10/2020 at 10:37, MrLibertyRedux said:

I've been having it for years after being wiped out for nearly a month back in my thirties, although it was available through my old employer up until last year.

I would still have it but I don't think I'll meet the criteria. The last time I tried to get it not through work I was told no as they didn't have enough and were prioritising at risk groups.

Interestingly when I have had it, I have never had anything other than a bit of a snifle all winter. When not, got it every year and was in bed for at last three or four days so I've always been a fan.

I'd go for it if available at the moment, I wouldn't like to risk both at the same time.

Morrisons and Asda are giving the jab for free to certain groups in their stores which have in-house chemists. I read an article this week about it. Forget the details but apparently the free jab crtieria has been expanded this year.

Worth investigating further if you have either store near you.

Think I posted yesterday but planning on turning up tomorrow afternoon for one at the "walk through" surgery.  

Never had a bad reaction other than a sore arm in the past taking (maybe 3 times so not that many).  Famous last words and all that.

Keep that covid vac bullshit away from me please though.

A few years ago got offered a phenomia injection at the same time which honestly can't remember if I took but think so.  Haven't heard anything about that one mentioned since though.

On 09/10/2020 at 07:14, Roger_Mellie said:

What's your health like generally? I can't understand any healthy young-ish person having the jab. 

Flu can properly knock you out (as in, struggling to get out of bed for a week or more) even if you're young and healthy, so it may worth having if you don't get sick pay or you have dependents to look after, or maybe if you just don't fancy spending a week feeling terrible. Like Covid-19 flu has a certain death rate among young and healthy people, it's not high but it's not zero either. People may feel altruistic towards the older people who actually are at risk of dying from flu and want to protect them by reducing its spread. Plus there's always a chance that another flu strain that kills young people like 1918 influenza could emerge, it has happened once in the last 100-odd years so statistically there's a decent chance it could happen again in our lifetimes.

Edited by Darude