DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Top musicians that are under the Radar

So who has largely fallen under the Radar that you think is an exceptional talent? 

I dont mean artists that are/were huge in America but failed to make it here, as that can be cultural and would include most Country music stars. 

I'll start with Aimee Mann. She is one of the few artists that i can be bothered to actually care for the Lyrics. She is a story teller. I first discovered her thanks to the film Magnolia. 

I now have 5 of her albums. I've never heard any of her songs on the radio. I appreciate she may well be far more successful in America, but still not hugely. 

I'm a rocker at heart but she melts my soul. (and also makes me a much safer driver when she's on) 

Edited by Sucralose Ray Leonard

Many musicians I've enjoyed but i don't know whether they were under the radar or not.

Two that I have special memories of

Babatunde Olatunji

Louis Hardin (Moon Dog)

Both now dead :(

I also like the pianist Joanna MacGregor who is still alive, introduced me to lots of styles of music that I'd have never listened to otherwise.

Edited by Hopeful
2 hours ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

So who has largely fallen under the Radar that you think is an exceptional talent? 

I dont mean artists that are/were huge in America but failed to make it here, as that can be cultural and would include most Country music stars. 

I'll start with Aimee Mann. She is one of the few artists that i can be bothered to actually care for the Lyrics. She is a story teller. I first discovered her thanks to the film Magnolia. 

I now have 5 of her albums. I've never heard any of her songs on the radio. I appreciate she may well be far more successful in America, but still not hugely. 

I'm a rocker at heart but she melts my soul. (and also makes me a much safer driver when she's on) 

:Beer:

Just exploring some more.

2 hours ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Magnolia...  that is what I remember her music from.  

Fantastic!   Good one!

7 hours ago, MrPin said:

I msnsged to get to see them 4 times. Twice were an excellent show, the other two weren't.

Seen them a few times. Stacia never once got her kit off :PissedOff:

15 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

Boo Hewerdine (music starts at 1:50):

He's always struck as a bit of a Nick Drake character without the mental health issues.

He's a tremendous songwriter, including for other people, but never really wanted to be the hard-touring frontman of a successful rock group.

He's probably had the life he wanted making enough from his music to keep making music and is happy to be under the radar.

I'm also convinced that he served me several times in Our Price records in Cambridge.

Hewerdine (born Mark Hewerdine) moved to Cambridge as a child, but returned to London in his late teens, and worked in a record shop. Suffering from agoraphobia, it was not a happy time of his life, and he was fired from his job after being wrongly accused of theft. Returning to Cambridge, he teamed up with a friend with similar experiences and started to write songs. They formed the short-lived Placebo Thing, later renamed The Great Divide. They were heard by Mike Scott of The Waterboys, who recommended them to Ensign Records, where they cut two commercially unsuccessful singles. In 1985 Hewerdine, working once again in a record shop in Cambridge, formed The Bible, recruiting jazz drummer Tony Shepherd. They released an album of songs through the independent Norwich label Backs Records called Walking The Ghost Back Home.

https://www.last.fm/music/Boo+Hewerdine/+wiki

He was also the writer one of one of my favourite songs which was The Bible's biggest hit.

53 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

He's always struck as a bit of a Nick Drake character without the mental health issues.

He's a tremendous songwriter, including for other people, but never really wanted to be the hard-touring frontman of a successful rock group.

He's probably had the life he wanted making enough from his music to keep making music and is happy to be under the radar.

I'm also convinced that he served me several times in Our Price records in Cambridge.

https://www.last.fm/music/Boo+Hewerdine/+wiki

He was also the writer one of one of my favourite songs which was The Bible's biggest hit.

I heard rumours that he worked in Andy's records for a while (long gone Cambridge record store) so it wouldn't entirely surprise me. I doubt The Bible ever made much cash but he's written hit songs for other people (e.g. Eddi Reader) so I hope he's beyond having to do retail work by now! I saw him play loads of times when I lived in Cambridge and there was always a big audience so that says something too. One thing I do know about him personally is that, despite the album Ignorance, which would make you think he'd been through the biggest, nastiest divorce in music history, he's been - presumably somewhat happily - married to the same woman since the end of the 80s.

13 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

I heard rumours that he worked in Andy's records for a while (long gone Cambridge record store) so it wouldn't entirely surprise me. I doubt The Bible ever made much cash but he's written hit songs for other people (e.g. Eddi Reader) so I hope he's beyond having to do retail work by now! I saw him play loads of times when I lived in Cambridge and there was always a big audience so that says something too. One thing I do know about him personally is that, despite the album Ignorance, which would make you think he'd been through the biggest, nastiest divorce in music history, he's been - presumably somewhat happily - married to the same woman since the end of the 80s.

You're right - it was Andy's Records of which I was thinking.  Just up form Sainsburys and on the other side.