• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
steppensheep

Flight cancellation compensation

I had an easyjet flight cancelled and had to overnight at Gatwick. They were unable to provide any accommodation, and it didn't seem worth the bother of trying to find any myself for the 8 hours or so, and trust easyjet to refund me. The standard of communication was absolutely awful. That's actually the biggest scandal, when you think of all the cost and resources that goes into running an airport, and when something goes wrong, there isn't a single person there with any responsibility to manage the situation.

It's a pity easyjet doesn't do any "in lieu" payments, as 50 quid compensation for discomfort and snack would have been fair in my view, but they only pay up on actual receipted expenses.

Anyway, I thought I may as well put in a claim for my statuory 250 quid, but got the expexted reply that it was due to weather conditions. I requested further evidence of the alleged weather, but have received no further info. I know there were actually storms in the north that day, but there didn't seem to be any problems at Gatwick. I find it hard to believe that the legislation was intended to enable to avoid paying compensation, just because there was some weather somewhere on the planet, and it had a knock on effect on their subsequent schedules,

Has anyone tried claiming compensation, with success or otherwise?

Edited by steppensheep

I was delayed at Malaga airport last month for 3+ hours and applied via the BA website for the statutory EU compo, receiving a 400 Euro cheque in the post a couple of weeks later (+ a 6 EU snack voucher at the airport) - not bad considering the original return ticket only cost me £150. Long haul compo can be as much as 600 Euros.

I understand some carriers make it trickier to apply but if you are flying in the EU and you are are 3+ hours delayed, you should be good to claim.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/holiday-cancellations-and-compensation/if-your-flights-delayed-or-cancelled/

Edited by Turned Out Nice Again

I too had an Easyjet flight cancelled last year - staff were very helpful at the airport. But when I put in a claim for the £250, they told me to go swivel because they'd offered me an alternative flight a few hours later and I'd said no. Which was a blatant lie.

Lessons learnt:

1. If your flight is cancelled - record all conversations. It's easy with a smartphone.
  2. This was Easyjet - but since then I've heard similar stories with other airlines. It's not just the budget airlines that try these deceptions.

3 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I keep getting spam messages about this flight which was delayed in 2011. I don't remember whether I was on it or not.

Don't watch Donnie Darko

Edited by steppensheep
sp

4 hours ago, steppensheep said:

I had an easyjet flight cancelled and had to overnight at Gatwick. They were unable to provide any accommodation, and it didn't seem worth the bother of trying to find any myself for the 8 hours or so, and trust easyjet to refund me. The standard of communication was absolutely awful. That's actually the biggest scandal, when you think of all the cost and resources that goes into running an airport, and when something goes wrong, there isn't a single person there with any responsibility to manage the situation.

It's a pity easyjet doesn't do any "in lieu" payments, as 50 quid compensation for discomfort and snack would have been fair in my view, but they only pay up on actual receipted expenses.

Anyway, I thought I may as well put in a claim for my statuory 250 quid, but got the expexted reply that it was due to weather conditions. I requested further evidence of the alleged weather, but have received no further info. I know there were actually storms in the north that day, but there didn't seem to be any problems at Gatwick. I find it hard to believe that the legislation was intended to enable to avoid paying compensation, just because there was some weather somewhere on the planet, and it had a knock on effect on their subsequent schedules,

Has anyone tried claiming compensation, with success or otherwise?

I suppose the weather is a fair excuse -- that's what insurance is for.

The intended purpose of the legislation is to dissuade/punish a fairly common occurrence (before the legislation) -- that of the airlines just cancelling a flight because it wasn't that full, or because they'd mucked up their pilot scheduling, etc.  They were deliberately inconveniencing their customers in order to make things a bit more convenient for themselves.  Weather is equally inconvenient for everyone, so there was no need to invent a mechanism to make it more painful for the airlines.

Hmm I don't fly often (don't want to cause global warming), but when I do I pay a bit more to fly a non-budget airline.

KLM gave us accommodation no problem.

No compensation due for weather related delays however they still have a duty of care under EU261. Any costs incurred as a result should be refunded 

16 hours ago, dgul said:

I suppose the weather is a fair excuse --

14 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

Check if other airlines still flew equivalent routes. It is fairly easy to do.

multi quote got a bit mixed up there.

There didn't seem to be any particular problems at Gatwick (or, as far as know, in Berlin)  that day. We were told that our incoming plane (from Jersey) had been delayed. What they didn't mention, was that Berlin airport closes at 10pm, so they woud have struggled to make it.

i see that weather delays are fine, but does that include delays originating in other parts of the world, which are exacerbated by airlines trying to run overtight schedules, which will inevitably result in delays, and maybe they should, not be punished, but have to incurr additional charges for the problems their business model causes.

Edited by steppensheep

5 minutes ago, steppensheep said:

multi quote got a bit mixed up there.

There didn't seem to be any particular problems at Gatwick (or, as far as know, in Berlin)  that day. We were told that our incoming plane (from Jersey) had been delayed. What they didn't mention, was that Berlin airport closes at 10pm, so they woud have struggled to make it.

i see that weather delays are fine, but does that include delays originating in other parts of the world, which are exacerbated by airlines trying to run overtight schedules, which will inevitably result in delays, and maybe they should, not be punished, but have to incurr additional charges for the problems their business model causes.

AFAIK the incoming flight is irrelevant. It is not your flight, and that is all the compensation system cares about.

Once the airline knew a certain plane wouldn't be available, it should have sorted a replacement.