DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Normally you "get what you pay for", however sometimes you get cheap things that are actually quite good...

I'm wearing some M&S jeans that cost £15. They fit well and should last years. I've got a seiko 5 automatic watch that cost £70. I guess a lot of products cost a lot because of the huge marketing budgets...

List your "cheap and good" products.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Branston pickle baked beans. Maybe not very cheap, but Heinz are expensive watery crap, so the BP version looks good value. Apart from food, I don't buy anything any more, so I probably shouldn't

And as if by DOSBODS magic, this thread is now featuring expensive branded shit instead of the cheap but good stuff. Who'd have fucking predicted it...   XYY    

Might give it a go later, if the wife is asleep.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, BurntBread said:

Branston pickle baked beans. Maybe not very cheap, but Heinz are expensive watery crap, so the BP version looks good value.

Apart from food, I don't buy anything any more, so I probably shouldn't be contributing to this thread...

Seconded on the Branston beans front. Can't eat the Heinz ones any more, after my big Lidl shop I go over the road to B&M just to get Branston beans.

Anker products generally, but Anker Soundbuds- £25 ish Bluetooth (5.0) earphones which last for 10 hours per charge, are waterproof and have endured nine months of near constant use, I'm rough as fuck with things too. 

Best earphones I've ever had, wired or not.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Headphones-SoundBuds-Bluetooth-Waterproof/dp/B07N8RYGC4/c=1

3 hours ago, Great Guy said:

I've got a seiko 5 automatic watch that cost £70.

I'm with you there. I would never have actually bought a Rolex but I did like the kinetic aspect to it. Not sure what model kinetic Seiko I bought in the end but I paid £70 about 10 years ago and it's never lost a second of time. Compare that to a guy I worked with who owned a Wavemaster and he said it was the worst watch he'd ever had.

Wireless keyboard and mouse set - with round keys like an old-fashioned typewriter. Dead easy to clean the tab ash from between them.

£10.99 off Amazon in March. Mouse is pretty small, but the keyboard is really good. Battery life for both is excellent.

Well worth the price of a bottle of ALDI's cheapest whisky...

P1040048.thumb.jpg.918fce31ec1736f01f3c68e13bf23d9b.jpg

XYY

Swimming facilities in Geneva. Awesomely good and cheap.

Summer - Entry to several hectares of swimming pools/park/café/volleyball complex. (one of several in Geneva) - 3 CHF this year (non covid years 6chf).

Piscine des Vergers - Genève - Meyrin - Activité - Loisirs.ch

All year round :- same price, 3chf this year, normally 6chf . Normally there's a sauna too, not atm.

Piscine du Centre sportif des Vernets | Les plus beaux bâtiments 1960 – 75

As a counter, I am currently wearing a seven year old pair of jeans I paid in the region of £200 for, I know- no commitments and earned too much, which are every bit as good as the day I bought them if not better.

Sometimes you do get what you pay for, then again I've paid similar and ended up with a pair of £200 that are no better than primark specials.

The only conclusion that can be drawn is I know fuck all about quality.

23 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Swimming facilities in Geneva. Awesomely good and cheap.

Summer - Entry to several hectares of swimming pools/park/café/volleyball complex. (one of several in Geneva) - 3 CHF this year (non covid years 6chf).

Piscine des Vergers - Genève - Meyrin - Activité - Loisirs.ch

All year round :- same price, 3chf this year, normally 6chf . Normally there's a sauna too, not atm.

Piscine du Centre sportif des Vernets | Les plus beaux bâtiments 1960 – 75

I remember going to a similar place in Holland as a kid.

I got touched up by some pipe smoking walrus, strange country.

The apple pie and apple sauce I've just made. £1.10 for some of that (cheating I know) Jus Rol pastry, a bit of sugar, lemon, flour and cinnamon, call it £2.

One massive apple pie and what looks like two or three litres of apple sauce. Also had some fun, and maybe taught the kids something while making it together. 

Bargain!

People with apple trees gave me the apples. 

7 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

The apple pie and apple sauce I've just made. £1.10 for some of that (cheating I know) Jus Rol pastry, a bit of sugar, lemon, flour and cinnamon, call it £2.

One massive apple pie and what looks like two or three litres of apple sauce.

Sounds good.

Maybe next time you should try some kosher sausage rolls...

th?id=OIP.65CkFXSg3Tfzvm-8n8QOqQHaE6%26p

XYY

4 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

Wireless keyboard and mouse set - with round keys like an old-fashioned typewriter. Dead easy to clean the tab ash from between them.

£10.99 off Amazon in March. Mouse is pretty small, but the keyboard is really good. Battery life for both is excellent.

Well worth the price of a bottle of ALDI's cheapest whisky...

P1040048.thumb.jpg.918fce31ec1736f01f3c68e13bf23d9b.jpg

XYY

Thats good. I think I have an 11.99 version from B n M...but no mouse.

I apologise in advance here..... but useful with a cheapo Home Bargains set of reading glasses if I need to type a document when out and about for work, via...the smart phone.

Barr & Stroud Binoculars.

No longer British, name bought by Chinsese mfr.

Very good optics at all their low-cost price points. But DYOR

I would be happy to own a pair if I wanted a good rough and tumble pair of binos for casual use as the optics certainly wouldn't annoy.

Fess up time, I don't own any myself as I buy 2nd hand to get more bang for the buck; current binos, Zeiss Victory Compact 10x25, Viking 8x42 ED-S and Opticron Natura BGA ED 8 x 32.

Edited by Hopeful

Not exactly cheap as such but Northface jackets. I’ve this one now, but my last one travelled round the world with me, did snowboard and ski seasons and lasted me a good 12 years. It was still going strong so I handed it down to my partners friends son who doesn’t have much money and he thought it was great.

A4E40C39-E4FD-4A0C-81DC-00A9C8DA8A4F.jpeg

Edited by Sideysid
31 minutes ago, Sideysid said:

Not exactly cheap as such but Northface jackets. I’ve this one now, but my last one travelled round the world with me, did snowboard and ski seasons and lasted me a good 12 years. It was still going strong so I handed it down to my partners friends son who doesn’t have much money and he thought it was great.

A4E40C39-E4FD-4A0C-81DC-00A9C8DA8A4F.jpeg

Became a  fashion brand now IMO (like many outdoor mfrs) and too expensive for what they bring. I bought their technical stuff in the 90s and it was good. Now, i'd avoid their high street stuff for value and durability, just like I'd avoid Berghaus etc.

My recommendation for warm climates especially, is now Craghoppers. Well designed IMO with good features for the price. Their outlet online site usually has good end of season bargains.

Craghoppers is owned by Regatta and the Regatta cold stuff is perfectly good unless you are going up Everest. 

For a baselayer Aclima 100% merino is not cheap but excellent qualty, so very good value for money.

If you want extreme cold or wet weather endurance performance I'd recommend the Helly Hansen range as very good, but certainly not cheap, prices up to £1.5k for a coat, but they work.

53590_300-2-main.jpg?quality=75&bg-color

There are cheaper models :-)

Edited by Hopeful