Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Why is Russia such a bogeyman these days?


Recommended Posts

Russia's GDP:  £1.6tn

Which is 11th after Canada and Brazil for two.

US is 21tn

China 14tn, Japan 5tn, Germany 4tn, India 3tn, UK 3tn.

Russia is a minnow

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)

 

Russia's population:  147m

Which is 9th after Bangladesh and Nigeria for two.

China is ten times the saize at 1,404m

Then India 1,368m

Then the US at 330m

Russia is nowhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_population

 

I like Russia as I like any country that is nationalist rather than globalist; but they are nowhere these days.  The cold war of US vs USSR is mere history.

So why are they such a bogeyman?  Why is Putin portrayed as all-powerful by the media?

 

Come on @Errol, make the case why Russia is classed as player these days.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In the Cold War the West’s border was the Elbe. Now apparently it is the Ukraine and the Black Sea. Who are the expansionists there ? The reason Putin is unpopular with the western gove

We've not got an actual 'enemy' at the moment, so 'Old Faithful' USSR* is brought out as a stopgap. [* word chosen deliberately.  It is an old enemy and it'll do for now.  Note that the enemy is

Simple answer; Russia has its own Central Bank, just not a Rothschild controlled one.  Everything else is just waffle. 

Posted Images

Russia is sixth by PPP.  It looks to me as well that some emperors have no clothes.  What is the dollar backed by other than the threat of U.S. military power?*  Is there any gold left in America?  Russia has huge reserves of gold, platinum, gas and oil.  Their debt is also quite low.

The Russian military also seems to be designed for war, the U.S. and its allies appear to have militaries designed around tax fraud, with a lot of planned obsolescence.  A good example is Britain's aircraft carrier.  If I was a sailor on that thing and the Tories finally talked their way into a war, I'd be 'calling in sick'.

Only a matter of time before Ivan has the biggest economy in Europe and the real threat for the establishment IMO is some type of Moscow-Berlin love-in.  Washington absolutely cannot afford to lose Germany to the Russians.

*- This is a threat/bluff that's rapidly diminishing and being called out.  U.S. ground forces are the drizzling shits, the U.S. Navy is lagging behind in ASCM defence and they haven't built a new tank in 40 years.

Edited by ElKapitan84
Link to post
Share on other sites

Being a "bogeyman" has nothing particularly to do with your size (look at North Korea)..  it is more to do with being strategically / idealogically opposed.

We (the "West") have come into direct confrontation with Russia in the middle East,  and also over Ukraine / Sevastopol.

Up until that point the mood music was fairly subdued.   

The real problem is that Putin is effectively a dictator..  not a terrible one,  but he won't ever be "voted out".   The same as the Chinese.    The real problem the West have is that there are a lot of these dictatorships that are becoming relatively powerful on the world stage,  and they are all a bit pally.   Russia and China combined would be quite a challenge should they decide they fancied a go at leading the next global empire.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We've not got an actual 'enemy' at the moment, so 'Old Faithful' USSR* is brought out as a stopgap.

[* word chosen deliberately.  It is an old enemy and it'll do for now.  Note that the enemy is really the US's enemy, but we're going along with it because they're our superpower]

A new actual enemy will turn up at some point; at that time we'll forget about Russia once again

Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed. Russia's population is roughly the same as Germany + France, their GDP is a fraction of those two. Yet they're seen as a kind of titan, potentially even able to take EU territory (hence the keenness to keep the UK and US committed to NATO).

They do appear to have one thing, which is political resolve backed up by military competence. What would actually happen if they decided to "do a Crimea" on another non-crucial piece of territory, another one with a majority ethnic Russian population that welcomed them? Would "we" do anything?

Unlike during the Cold War with the USSR, I'm not 100% sure that we would.

c.f. 1930s Germany, willing to enforce its territorial claims and doing so competently.

3 minutes ago, dgul said:

A new actual enemy will turn up at some point; at that time we'll forget about Russia once again

Chynaaaah ;)

Edited by Lightly Toasted
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Agreed.

The empty oil wells everywhere will be that new enemy...

 

XYY

That is insufficient in itself to be to be 'the enemy'.  The enemy will come either as the result of direct conflict (particularly in the middle east), or from the conflict that is created by lack of resources (not just oil, as that oil creates food and stuff).  They might even create an enemy for us, but I guess even that would be based on either or both of the above (just multiplied up by TPTB).

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Being a "bogeyman" has nothing particularly to do with your size (look at North Korea)..  it is more to do with being strategically / idealogically opposed.

We (the "West") have come into direct confrontation with Russia in the middle East,  and also over Ukraine / Sevastopol.

 

In the Cold War the West’s border was the Elbe.

Now apparently it is the Ukraine and the Black Sea.

Who are the expansionists there ?

The reason Putin is unpopular with the western governing classes is not that he is undemocratic (historically the USA and the U.K. had no problems with the likes of Pinochet) but that he is not prepared to allow his country to be looted by the western debt ponzi financial system. 

Edited by Virgil Caine
Link to post
Share on other sites

Russian military spending isn't much higher than the UK's.  I think the phoney fear factor is validated by their technical competence...huge emphasis on technical education, and sophisticated technical capabilities. The USA were relying on the Russian space lift capability until recently. I asked a friend who works in Russia about this a few years ago and he said it was borne out of envy and the Russians making the West look stupid, incompetent, and decadent.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jordan Peterson made the point that when it came to immigration;  if people had the choice to live anywhere then there are only what, eight, maybe ten countries you'd really want to live in.

Russia isn't even going to be on the first page.

At what point in history has it ever been a good time to be Russian?  I think it's a tragedy as they produce some of the finest scientific and engineering minds. But they just seem to like a strong leader who is light on democracy. Good luck to them, if that's how they want to organise things then that's up to them.

Their current life expectancy is ten years behind ours. At some point the people might begin to ask for better public services rather than the latest whizz-bang missile system.

As for Sino-Russian relations - it wasn't that long ago that the Chinese had to go cap-in-hand to the Russians for permission to do anything. I suspect the Chinese will now think they are the dominant partner in that relationship.

 

Edited by Bandit Banzai
Link to post
Share on other sites

And I am sure this is going to descend into some willy-waving, but Russian defence spending is roughly the same as...France's

China is making them irrelevant. And at some point they are going to see the path China has taken and fancy a bit of that themselves.

When was the last time anyone on here bought something that was made in Russia?   ....exactly - it won't have gone unnoticed.

Edited by Bandit Banzai
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Russia's GDP:  £1.6tn

Which is 11th after Canada and Brazil for two.

US is 21tn

China 14tn, Japan 5tn, Germany 4tn, India 3tn, UK 3tn.

Russia is a minnow

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)

 

Russia's population:  147m

Which is 9th after Bangladesh and Nigeria for two.

China is ten times the saize at 1,404m

Then India 1,368m

Then the US at 330m

Russia is nowhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_population

 

I like Russia as I like any country that is nationalist rather than globalist; but they are nowhere these days.  The cold war of US vs USSR is mere history.

So why are they such a bogeyman?  Why is Putin portrayed as all-powerful by the media?

 

Come on @Errol, make the case why Russia is classed as player these days.

I don’t know, but I do think it’s part funny that the exact same type of people who were defending Russia back during the Cold War are now the ones imbuing it with magical powers to swing election results in the West. Cunts (them and Putin).

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nippy said:

Russian military spending isn't much higher than the UK's.  I think the phoney fear factor is validated by their technical competence...huge emphasis on technical education, and sophisticated technical capabilities. The USA were relying on the Russian space lift capability until recently. I asked a friend who works in Russia about this a few years ago and he said it was borne out of envy and the Russians making the West look stupid, incompetent, and decadent.

I didn't know that Russian military spending was higher than that if the US, sorry UK, but the important thing must be that the Russians seem to be able to produce things much more cheaply.

I don't know if they are the enemy BTW, they might well be natural allies of the West against a common enemy. Just an observation on value for money.

Edited by Rare Bear
I misread the original post as US when it should have been UK
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say I don't understand the media disconnect. In the West, those pesky Russians we know and love are mainly oligarchs who were in the right place, right time and got fantastically wealthy by dubious means. Perhaps a few kneecaps were removed, don't ask questions and let them enjoy their mega-yachts and penthouses in London.

They've not done much with their wealth besides bought a few football clubs or the odd failing newspaper.

But these people represent about 0.000001% of the population of Russia. Why do we not hear anything about the average Russian? The media tells me they all sit round drinking illicit potato vodka and being a nuisance. And yet the more I hear and see about Russia from the non-mainstream media (h/t to Bald and Bankrupt), the more I like about the place. It's a shame that the MSM in this country ignore such a huge country.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, spunko said:

But these people represent about 0.000001% of the population of Russia. Why do we not hear anything about the average Russian?

The same reason you never read nice stories about China or Iran..   if you humanise the people in places we have diplomatically fallen out with, it makes it harder to impose sanctions and makes the population more sympathetic to foreign propaganda.   Also,  they don’t want to attract tourists or anything else that might help those countries financially.

Not saying it’s right or otherwise..  but that will be the reason.  The media toes the government line very tightly..  despite all their protestations about being a “free press”.

Edited by Libspero
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

So why are they such a bogeyman?  Why is Putin portrayed as all-powerful by the media?

 

Come on @Errol, make the case why Russia is classed as player these days.

Probably due to the rather reckless way they splash the Novichok around and the strange regularity with which Putin's enemies become depressed and fall from high buildings. Plus the odd state-sponsored cyber activities.

Putin has been an exceptionally effective international operator for the past decade or so, running rings around the West. This is at least in part because he is unconstrained by democratic accountability, the rule of law and any obvious moral code.....

 

 

 

 

Edited by InLikeFlynn
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Bandit Banzai said:

And I am sure this is going to descend into some willy-waving, but Russian defence spending is roughly the same as...France's

China is making them irrelevant. And at some point they are going to see the path China has taken and fancy a bit of that themselves.

When was the last time anyone on here bought something that was made in Russia?   ....exactly - it won't have gone unnoticed.

My mate, Pete.

He lurks on here from time to time.

He hasn't actually bought his Russian burd, but he pays through the nose to climb on board when she is in the mood:)

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Nippy said:

Russian military spending isn't much higher than the UK's.  I think the phoney fear factor is validated by their technical competence...huge emphasis on technical education, and sophisticated technical capabilities. The USA were relying on the Russian space lift capability until recently. I asked a friend who works in Russia about this a few years ago and he said it was borne out of envy and the Russians making the West look stupid, incompetent, and decadent.

And putin is the richest man in the world can’t prove it but I think I’m correct

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Nippy said:

Russian military spending isn't much higher than the UK's.  I think the phoney fear factor is validated by their technical competence...huge emphasis on technical education, and sophisticated technical capabilities. The USA were relying on the Russian space lift capability until recently. I asked a friend who works in Russia about this a few years ago and he said it was borne out of envy and the Russians making the West look stupid, incompetent, and decadent.

Also back in the Soviet days they put such an emphasis on maths and science and concentrated enormous effort in nurturing any latent talent they picked up.  

Russia very strategically positioned.  They have such a massive amount of land I would think that in itself is enough to make it a player (all the gas and minerals too pretty handy).  And if global warming keeps increasing maybe they'll become a bread basket of sorts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

And putin is the richest man in the world can’t prove it but I think I’m correct

Not sure but sounds likely if you include what he controls.  I think I read before he had gifted some massive state company maybe gas or some contract worth billions to his judo instructor.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I do really find some attraction to Russia, something about it seems magical although never been close so it's all imaginary.

The deep forests almost mystical. Then the whole Czar age with characters like Catherine the Great and the buildings at Petersburg (nee Petrograd - that name sounds so brutalist communist - checked and it was originally changed in 1914 as sounded too European so they changed to that terrible name only to change back after Lenin died).

Rasputin, vodka, saunas, bears and winter palaces.  What not to like?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bandit Banzai said:

Jordan Peterson made the point that when it came to immigration;  if people had the choice to live anywhere then there are only what, eight, maybe ten countries you'd really want to live in.

Russia isn't even going to be on the first page.

At what point in history has it ever been a good time to be Russian?  I think it's a tragedy as they produce some of the finest scientific and engineering minds. But they just seem to like a strong leader who is light on democracy. Good luck to them, if that's how they want to organise things then that's up to them.

Their current life expectancy is ten years behind ours. At some point the people might begin to ask for better public services rather than the latest whizz-bang missile system.

As for Sino-Russian relations - it wasn't that long ago that the Chinese had to go cap-in-hand to the Russians for permission to do anything. I suspect the Chinese will now think they are the dominant partner in that relationship.

 

Mate of mine is married to a Russian. They visit the in-laws regularly (it's Southern Russia and warmish) and he speaks pretty positively about the place, he doesn't mind going there.

His wife gets clingy when they go though, she's afraid one of the many incredibly gorgeous women will latch onto him (he's aged better than her and is quite a handsome guy).

This from a man with a very nice house in a good location and a nice family situation in Geneva, so I don't believe it can be all that shitty in Russia, or he'd never want to go.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...