DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Why is Russia such a bogeyman these days?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In the Cold War the West’s border was the Elbe. Now apparently it is the Ukraine and the Black Sea. Who are the expansionists there ? The reason Putin is unpopular with the western gove

We've not got an actual 'enemy' at the moment, so 'Old Faithful' USSR* is brought out as a stopgap. [* word chosen deliberately.  It is an old enemy and it'll do for now.  Note that the enemy is

Simple answer; Russia has its own Central Bank, just not a Rothschild controlled one.  Everything else is just waffle. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, spunko said:

yet the more I hear and see about Russia from the non-mainstream media, the more I like about the place

If you were to watch the documentary City 40, about a closed city near Chelyabinsk, you'd get real hidden footage of parks, tree-lined streets, mums pushing prams, libraries, swimming pools. OK, it was built to keep scientist happy, but it was clearly (once) a pleasant place indeed.

14 hours ago, ElKapitan84 said:

Russia is sixth by PPP.  It looks to me as well that some emperors have no clothes.  What is the dollar backed by other than the threat of U.S. military power?*  Is there any gold left in America?  Russia has huge reserves of gold, platinum, gas and oil.  Their debt is also quite low.

The Russian military also seems to be designed for war, the U.S. and its allies appear to have militaries designed around tax fraud, with a lot of planned obsolescence.  A good example is Britain's aircraft carrier.  If I was a sailor on that thing and the Tories finally talked their way into a war, I'd be 'calling in sick'.

Only a matter of time before Ivan has the biggest economy in Europe and the real threat for the establishment IMO is some type of Moscow-Berlin love-in.  Washington absolutely cannot afford to lose Germany to the Russians.

*- This is a threat/bluff that's rapidly diminishing and being called out.  U.S. ground forces are the drizzling shits, the U.S. Navy is lagging behind in ASCM defence and they haven't built a new tank in 40 years.

I don't agree.

Vast military spending when there is no war or imminent war is simply a waste.

Instead of building factories, or software houses, to make goods for export and having people work in those factories which would build the economy and the country's wealth you have blokes and women marching around in camo gear rather than working and instead of building cars and planes to sell you are building tanks and military planes to sit around rusting and becoming obsolete.

I see it like a cold Australia - selling primary products like oil, coal, and iron ore to other countries who then add a lot of value to those products.

It's a big opencast mine going nowhere except empty. 

15 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Russia's GDP:  £1.6tn
Which is 11th after Canada and Brazil for two.

Rare Bear's point was is worth following up about costs also being lower. Russia is #5 in the world by GDP when purchasing power parity is used. They've also been subject to international sanctions for some years, and their currency is worth less that it should be because of the breakdown in law means it isn't a reputable place to conduct business, rather than it being because they don't make stuff.
image.png.51888970e40b0d4fa7646f9a9cd69ce6.png

2 hours ago, spunko said:

But these people represent about 0.000001% of the population of Russia. Why do we not hear anything about the average Russian?

YT is your friend in this respect.

Here's Different Russia a YT English speaking channel.

Restaurant in Russian supermarket looks far superior to the crap served in UK supermarkets and it's inexpensive too.

Edited by JackieO
1 hour ago, InLikeFlynn said:

Probably due to the rather reckless way they splash the Novichok around and the strange regularity with which Putin's enemies become depressed and fall from high buildings.

I've read about dissidents having a penchant for jumping out of windows or having heart attacks, but the articles have been in UK newspapers, so there could be some spin. Berezovsky was found hanged in a locked bathroom after being depressed, but despite no forensic evidence whatsoever indicating foul play, the coroner recorded an open verdict. How does that work? The Salisbury story is such a bugger's muddle, I struggle to believe the official narrative. I heard the US also investigated this incident and has conveyed its view to the UK government that Russia had nothing to do with it.

Oh I forgot to mention Graham Phillips. He's an English bloke with a YT channel. He spends a lot of time in Russia documenting Russian life.

He came back to England a few months back and was surprised how authoritarian it was. Russian friends in the comments were telling him to leave and return to Russia.

Be warned Russia is hideously white...

Russia August 2020

London June 2020

Грэм, аккуратнее там, береги себя, будь внимательнее и всегда на чеку. Мало-ли какой-нибудь ненормальный кинет ещё что нибудь в тебя. Как пел Виктор Цой, БУДЬ ОСТОРОЖНЕЙ.

Graham, be careful there, take care of yourself, be careful and always on the alert. You never know, some crazy person will throw something else at you. As Viktor Tsoi sang, BE CAREFUL.

Just now, JackieO said:

Oh I forgot to mention Graham Phillips. He's an English bloke with a YT channel. He spends a lot of time in Russia documenting Russian life.

He came back to England a few months back and was surprised how authoritarian it was. Russian friends in the comments were telling him to leave and return to Russia.

Be warned Russia is hideously white...

Russia August 2020

London June 2020

Грэм, аккуратнее там, береги себя, будь внимательнее и всегда на чеку. Мало-ли какой-нибудь ненормальный кинет ещё что нибудь в тебя. Как пел Виктор Цой, БУДЬ ОСТОРОЖНЕЙ.

Graham, be careful there, take care of yourself, be careful and always on the alert. You never know, some crazy person will throw something else at you. As Viktor Tsoi sang, BE CAREFUL.

Just to be clear my OP was not an attack upon Russia as there seems to be a rush to defend it.

I like it, I read Russia Today as a primary news source, I've watched "Bald and Bankrupt"'s YT vids through Byelorussia and Russia.

My point was it is an unlikely bogeyman today in a world of China and militant islam.

It's no longer the communist menace actively trying to take over the world; it unilaterally gave independence to vast amounts of the USSR.  Sure it still nibbles away at its sphere of influence but so does the US and so does China.

@Libspero flagged up North Korea and IMO that's far more of a threat to world peace with its regular missile firing over SK and Japan.

28 minutes ago, JackieO said:

Restaurant in Russian supermarket looks far superior to the crap served in UK supermarkets

Fun videos. I'm also enjoying an insight into the probability weightings ascribed to words by YT subtitle algos:

image.png.11171ac65cd95da1e1a566673234b19a.pngimage.png.1e1650d6af698ba3de5532429a76ea8a.png

Edited by Nippy
12 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Just to be clear my OP was not an attack upon Russia as there seems to be a rush to defend it.

I'm not defending it I'm just showing some videos of Russian life today. I became curious about life in Russia after the last world cup where Brits seemed to having a good time and then rooted around on YT to find out more.

It's now a place I'd love to visit.

As for why Russia is portrayed as the bogeyman, it's simple defection. "Look here, not there" Don't pay attention to the real bogeymen CHYNA and the Muslim Brotherhood and those Western politicians and organisations in their pocket.

Edit:

Another reason it's a portrayed as a bogeyman.

It's a very Christian country which has retained it's cultural identity and values.

Edited by JackieO

the great game was the conflict between Russia and UK over the asian part of the empire

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Game

also Russia does spy on the UK and US and attempts to influence and steal state/industrial/scientific secrets, so not too hard to stir the anti Russia rhetoric when the people need to be frightened/arms spend justified 

1 hour ago, Great Guy said:

I've been to St Peterburg and enjoyed it. The ballet is surprisingly amazing...

The Russians are a white Christian people, we should really be on the same side... I'd guess the west has went down the PS Liberal isn't immigration amazing" route while the Russians haven't...

That's a pretty good film actually.

1 hour ago, ashestoashes said:

also Russia does spy on the UK and US and attempts to influence and steal state/industrial/scientific secrets

Snowden let us know that the NSA engaged in inustrial espionage on behalf of US companies against the like of Siemens, and whole swathes of French industry.

Edited by Nippy
8 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I don't agree.

Vast military spending when there is no war or imminent war is simply a waste.

Instead of building factories, or software houses, to make goods for export and having people work in those factories which would build the economy and the country's wealth you have blokes and women marching around in camo gear rather than working and instead of building cars and planes to sell you are building tanks and military planes to sit around rusting and becoming obsolete.

I see it like a cold Australia - selling primary products like oil, coal, and iron ore to other countries who then add a lot of value to those products.

It's a big opencast mine going nowhere except empty. 

No, I agree with this.  For most countries, there is no return of investment.  The Russian intervention in Syria was impressive; victory without boots on the ground using a military that doesn't break the bank yet is still quite lethal.

America is in a unique position though - they have the world's reserve currency, it's their last economic card.  And it's held in place through the threat of force.  The big problem is 'rogue' countries are starting to think the big bully can't fight for shit and are getting bold.  America's last commodity is bullying.  When someone stops paying their protection racket fee, the other businesses/shops/bars in the neighbourhood are gonna do the same.

17 hours ago, Libspero said:

Not sure Russia were natural allies..   they signed a ten year non-aggression pact with the Nazis at the outbreak of WW2.

Germany sent 2.5 million men east. Thank fuck that lot didn't come our way.

Where I have a lot of sympathy/gratitude is what Russia did in WW2 - Hollywood or the west has never really acknowledged what they did. They paid a huge price for our freedom.

We might one day have to team-up. But fortunately the muslamic world seems utterly incapable of organising itself.

The Chinese however...

11 minutes ago, Bandit Banzai said:

Where I have a lot of sympathy/gratitude is what Russia did in WW2

I wasn't trying to belittle their effort or sacrifice..  but,  had Hitler not been an idiot and attacked them for no good reason..  he could have walked over Western Europe and the UK and Russia wouldn't have lifted a finger,  they would have practically been allied with the Nazis.   The fact Hitler stabbed them in the back made them a defacto ally..  but only by circumstance.

1 minute ago, Libspero said:

I wasn't trying to belittle their effort or sacrifice..  but,  had Hitler not been an idiot and attacked them for no good reason..  he could have walked over Western Europe and the UK and Russia wouldn't have lifted a finger,  they would have practically been allied with the Nazis.   The fact Hitler stabbed them in the back made them a defacto ally..  but only by circumstance.

Weren't we lucky that Hitler had an overdose if hubris?

1 minute ago, Libspero said:

Ah, I see your point. Yes, I wonder what Stalin would have made of it then. I wonder if he would have felt threatened. I must admit I don't know

Russia ought to export more stuff, not just raw materials. That is my advice to Dobby. Certainly we used to trade more with Russia, back in Soviet days. They sold us cameras, cheap radiograms, and basic cars. Of course they wanted western currency, but they did actually make the effort of putting the steering wheel on the correct side, in Ladas, for the UK market, which is more than the Americans usually do.

Russia is no benter than some of the bent regimes the West props up.

21 hours ago, Libspero said:

Actually Stalin violated the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact first by invading Bessarabia.  It was also pretty clear both Germany and the USSR were both preparing invasions of each other, Germany got the drop.

I thought Stalin signed that pact because he knew he could not resist the Germans who were technologically far in advance of Russia at  the time and that he was buying time to re-arm. Whilst digging around to find out a bit more, this came up from 2008: Stalin 'planned to send a million troops to stop Hitler if Britain and France agreed pact'

Papers which were kept secret for almost 70 years show that the Soviet Union proposed sending a powerful military force in an effort to entice Britain and France into an anti-Nazi alliance.

Possibly would have kept Hitler in his box.

It does suggest that Stalin only sent Molotov to Berlin to buy time:

The documents will be used by Russian historians to help explain and justify Stalin's controversial pact with Hitler, which remains infamous as an example of diplomatic expediency.

"It was clear that the Soviet Union stood alone and had to turn to Germany and sign a non-aggression pact to gain some time to prepare ourselves for the conflict that was clearly coming," said Gen Sotskov.

I suppose you can choose to believe the Russians or not, personally I do on this one.

Edit: Looks like that's the modern line from Russia, from wiki:

In 2009, Russian President Vladimir Putin stated that "there are grounds to condemn the Pact",[289] but in 2014, described it as "necessary for Russia's survival".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molotov–Ribbentrop_Pact

Edited by Bandit Banzai
On 12/10/2020 at 11:14, Great Guy said:

I've been to St Peterburg and enjoyed it. The ballet is surprisingly amazing...

The Russians are a white Christian people, we should really be on the same side... I'd guess the west has went down the PS Liberal isn't immigration amazing" route while the Russians haven't...

I visited Moscow a couple of years ago in June (Hi @The XYY Man:)). Not only was the weather good 30 degrees Centigrade it was clean and tidy everywhere. No litter in the streets or drunks spilling out of bars late at night. 

I would often hear the sounds of people playing musical instruments from their open windows. Piano playing, violins, mostly classical music. Also some very good street buskers playing pop hits in public. 

2 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

I visited Moscow a couple of years ago in June (Hi @The XYY Man:)). Not only was the weather good 30 degrees Centigrade it was clean and tidy everywhere. No litter in the streets or drunks spilling out of bars late at night. 

I would often hear the sounds of people playing musical instruments from their open windows. Piano playing, violins, mostly classical music. Also some very good street buskers playing pop hits in public. 

Will you fuck off mentioning me for no reason, you fucking gimp.

It was never funny in the first place, and now it simply marks you down as the biggest twat on the forum...

XYY