DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Slightly techy question - can't seem to get rid of colour from JPG images imported into Word file.

This is driving me crazy. I created a word file with some coloured JPG images imported into it.   Fine.   I decided I wanted them to be in B&W. Should be easy. But whatever I do, I can't get rid of the colour - even when they look B&W on screen, they still print as colour.

I've re-edited the JPG files in Photoshop CS6 and changed the mode to Grayscale and discarded colour information, and changed the file name in case it was erroneously reading the old coloured file instead of the edited B&W one. But when I "Change Picture" to replace the old image in the Word file with the edited [apparently] B&W image, and print it out, it STILL prints in colour. Even though the colour information has supposedly been discarded, and it shows on the screen as B&W.

Really, really REALLY weird. Anyone had something like this? Driving me bonkers.

Windows 10, Word 2016, Photoshop CS6.

1 hour ago, DocH said:

This is driving me crazy. I created a word file with some coloured JPG images imported into it.   Fine.   I decided I wanted them to be in B&W. Should be easy. But whatever I do, I can't get rid of the colour - even when they look B&W on screen, they still print as colour.

I've re-edited the JPG files in Photoshop CS6 and changed the mode to Grayscale and discarded colour information, and changed the file name in case it was erroneously reading the old coloured file instead of the edited B&W one. But when I "Change Picture" to replace the old image in the Word file with the edited [apparently] B&W image, and print it out, it STILL prints in colour. Even though the colour information has supposedly been discarded, and it shows on the screen as B&W.

Really, really REALLY weird. Anyone had something like this? Driving me bonkers.

Odd, but as a workaround, is it possible to select greyscale printing on your printer? I appreciate that it doesn't explain the root of the problem.

P.S. If your printer is actually a black & white one, you have been blessed with a visit by unicorns.

2 hours ago, DocH said:

Save them as grayscale tiff files, and insert those.

Tried saving as grayscale Tif and also as PNG, but the colour was still there on printing!    O.o

BUT I realised I could print with printer->advanced settings-> SET GRAYSCALE “BLACK INK ONLY” TO ON

and it overrules the colour [which shouldn't be there] on printing and it's fine.    Phew. Thanks for your suggestions,Dosbodders.  Ridiculous waste of something like two hours or more.   D'oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Put the photo into word as colour, select it, select format from the menu bar, select color (sic).

You'll then get a drop down, from color saturation choose Saturation 0%

If that works it'd be a decent solution, but now that I've found I can do it with the:

printer->advanced settings-> SET GRAYSCALE “BLACK INK ONLY” TO ON

I don't want to spend any more time on it.

But thanks!

4 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Put the photo into word as colour, select it, select format from the menu bar, select color (sic).

You'll then get a drop down, from color saturation choose Saturation 0%

It could be, as I'm importing it into Word as a B&W version of a coloured image, that it Word thinks it's already black and white and doesn't feel it needs to suppress colour information which for some reason is still there. Or something ... ???? O.o

6 hours ago, DocH said:

Put it in gimp, save as BnW, import in word.

Not this is it?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/convert-photo-to-grayscale-in-ps-exports-link-to-id-and-is-showed-as-rgb-color-space/td-p/8833546?page=1

I think the problem is that any of Photoshop export for png will convert the image to RGB. If you really want a grayscale image, you will need to use the normal save as feature, and not quick export or the legacy save for web.

You may have changed the word doc name, but did you change the image file names? Word could be linking to a cache with the previous versions.

In PS so the grayscale (convert) changes ‘save as copy’ then save as a different file name/extension. Then make a new layout in word import image then print to test 

5 minutes ago, spunko said:

@DocH I gave you the solution a few hours ago, did you try it? :D

Yep, had tried it and it hadn't worked, thinking along the lines you mention. I had even saved the B&W file with a new name to prevent some kind of caching mistaken identity thingy.