DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

I need a winter jacket, where should I look?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What you want is a good Hugo Boss trenchcoat replica/2nd hand. Snappy and warm enough to see you through a Russian winter. Preferably in black leather. Mine always gets attention and comments, especia

Really?  Why bother. You know that we will all be under house arrest by the end of the month.  

Craghoppers - sale from midnight I believe. https://www.craghoppers.com/mens/jackets/   Also on Amazon which has sale from midnight.   Only the ones with not enough Vitamin D

Posted Images

Just now, Carl Fimble said:

I'm looking for a winter jacket, not wanting (able) to spend loads, under £100 ideally, I'm a big fan of pockets, but mostly just need it to be warm and waterproof/resistant. 

Anyone know of any places which sell that sorta thing, online or IRL?

Really?  Why bother. You know that we will all be under house arrest by the end of the month.  o.O

14 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

I'm looking for a winter jacket, not wanting (able) to spend loads, under £100 ideally, I'm a big fan of pockets, but mostly just need it to be warm and waterproof/resistant. 

I'd go for military surplus on Ebay or other websites.

Most military surplus gear is good quality and hard wearing but cheap.

When I lived in eastern Europe I had a Czech army parka coat, very warm, only cost about £20. I only got rid of it because it was just too hot for the British winter, but it would have lasted indefinitely I think.

Ebay 2nd hand on auctions.I buy winter jackets in spring though as they go cheaper.This time of year i get my shorts etc for next spring.

On Ebay search lowest price first and go from there.Im getting my dads M&S shirts for xmas at the moment,usually end up getting him around 7 for about £40.

Iv noticed less selection and slightly higher prices though lately,maybe people making stuff last longer.

Hide Park is an excellent brand, hard-wearing and like being hugged by a large leather teddy bear. Think of it as your “home away from Home.”

I own the jacket and car coat shown in the bottom two links; as long as you set it in your warmest room to dry them out thoroughly after wearing in the rain you’ll never have any probs with the leather going to pieces. The tanning job on these are designed to hold up to our climate and will serve you years longer than some pure petroleum product jacket.

eBay Hide Park Main Search

Bomber

and

Car Coat

Edited by Conniption
30 minutes ago, Melchett said:

What you want is a good Hugo Boss trenchcoat replica/2nd hand. Snappy and warm enough to see you through a Russian winter. Preferably in black leather. Mine always gets attention and comments, especially when I wear it to Western and Central Europe.

I am no expert but a trench coat isn't for cold weather, it's for wet weather.

And in leather? They're probably worried about Columbine 2.0

2 minutes ago, spunko said:

I am no expert but a trench coat isn't for cold weather, it's for wet weather.

And in leather? They're probably worried about Columbine 2.0

I dont think they're worried, more amused. Ive had a female German colleague laugh and call me Herr Flick. 

And mine is f**king warm. its why i use it.

Edited by Melchett
36 minutes ago, Melchett said:

What you want is a good Hugo Boss trenchcoat replica/2nd hand. Snappy and warm enough to see you through a Russian winter. Preferably in black leather. Mine always gets attention and comments, especially when I wear it to Western and Central Europe.

Didn't they all freeze to death at Stalingrad?

6 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Didn't they all freeze to death at Stalingrad?

Not all. Some froze, some were shot. ;)

To be fair, what you really want in those circumstances is to stay indoors somewhere warm. Like Berlin. Maybe Dresden? Really warm there.

ETA, do you think we've laboured this joke enough? I fear its starting to bomb, and expect to be shot down in flames any post.

Edited by Melchett
1 hour ago, Carl Fimble said:

Where are you physically? I tend to go to Freeport Braintree when I need to buy the sort of stuff I find convenient to wear. Mountain Warehouse, Reggata, Trespass and I think one of two others. Practical stuff with lots of pockets.

As someone said though, buy your shorts and summer trousers and shirts at this time of year and your winter jackets in spring. Good for comfortable, practical shoes too.

6 minutes ago, Rare Bear said:

Where are you physically? I tend to go to Freeport Braintree when I need to buy the sort of stuff I find convenient to wear. Mountain Warehouse, Reggata, Trespass and I think one of two others. Practical stuff with lots of pockets.

As someone said though, buy your shorts and summer trousers and shirts at this time of year and your winter jackets in spring. Good for comfortable, practical shoes too.

Yeah I know, this is like buying a convertible just as spring turns to summer!

I'm in Edinburgh and could drive, so loads of options for physical shops, not sure I can be arsed though it is always better to try things on and see them in the flesh. 

3 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

I'm in Edinburgh and could drive, so loads of options for physical shops, not sure I can be arsed though it is always better to try things on and see them in the flesh. 

How about TK Maxx for a lucky dip. Lots of shit but lots of good stuff in amongst it if you can tell the difference, good quality clothes are pretty obvious from the way they look and feel.

1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Craghoppers - sale from midnight I believe.

https://www.craghoppers.com/mens/jackets/

Also on Amazon which has sale from midnight.

Only the ones with not enough Vitamin D.

Craghoppers stuff is really good. Get a 3 in 1 waterproof / fleece jobby then you're good for all weathers.

2 hours ago, Carl Fimble said:

You need help from DOSBODS to buy a fucking coat...? Are you serious Carl...?

If so, then that a fully-grown man needs advice on buying something as basic as a coat proves beyond a doubt that the world we live in now is clearly very fucked.

Perhaps you could ask your mam to buy you one for Christmas...

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man

Consider something with primaloft insulation if you can find it.   Very warm, lightweight and dries quick.

Other similar materials available:

"Polarloft, Polarguard, Thinsulate and Primaloft are all common synthetic fills"

https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/features/insulation_explained_part_2_how_clothing_works-5163

Edited by Libspero