DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Do any DOSBODers have one of these perchance? I am considering converting an older shed into a 'pub'.

Similar to this guy:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3078252/Father-spends-five-years-hundreds-pounds-turning-garden-shed-pint-sized-pub-complete-dancefloor-disco-ball-beer-taps-t-sell-punters-pint.html

I detest all this corny "man cave" shite, but would like a project like this in the spring. Not sure if I'd use it much though, a bit depressing to sit in it on your own.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It would need to be winterised and have power and running water and preferably a bog as well, otherwise you might as well just drink in the house. Also, if Covid restrictions continue indefinitel

I'd 100% do it if I had a garden and I also detest that man cave bollocks. Traditional affordable pubs are like rocking horse shit now and most modern pubs are are either soulless gastro pubs/spoons (

Not if you do it right, they'd never find this...  

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, spunko said:

Do any DOSBODers have one of these perchance? I am considering converting an older shed into a 'pub'.

Similar to this guy:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3078252/Father-spends-five-years-hundreds-pounds-turning-garden-shed-pint-sized-pub-complete-dancefloor-disco-ball-beer-taps-t-sell-punters-pint.html

I detest all this corny "man cave" shite, but would like a project like this in the spring. Not sure if I'd use it much though, a bit depressing to sit in it on your own.

Can we assume your venture onto Tinder or Seeking.com or whatever it was you settled on has not yet borne fruit? 

1 hour ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Can we assume your venture onto Tinder or Seeking.com or whatever it was you settled on has not yet borne fruit? 

I didn't bother in the end but probably will soon. Just seems like such a faff.

5 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

There is someone locally making and selling lots of "bar shed" but they're effectively a partly open shed and will be shit in winter.

Insulation and electric will solve that... it's a small space after all.

It would need to be winterised and have power and running water and preferably a bog as well, otherwise you might as well just drink in the house.

Also, if Covid restrictions continue indefinitely (which seems likely), such places will be a magnet for neighbourhood snoops to dob in people breaking the 'rules'.

Safer to give your house a pub feel, I think. Long before Covid several people mentioned that my sitting room looked like the snug of a 1970s pub so I've  hosted a couple of 'pub nights' which seem to have gone down well.

This was us the other night:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01914/Black-Country-093-_1914064i.jpg

Edited by Austin Allegro
1 hour ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

That's grindr you're thinking of.

2 hours ago, spunko said:

DOSBODS meetup 2021?

19 minutes ago, spunko said:

I didn't bother in the end but probably will soon. Just seems like such a faff.

Not thirsty enough by the sound of it! 

My mate used to hire a ho (he'd usually go expensive and high quality) when he'd had a dry spell, in his case it seemed to energise him and make him more attractive/motivated and in a matter of days he had a new "normal" girlfriend.

1 hour ago, spunko said:

Insulation and electric will solve that... it's a small space after all.

Yep, planning to set up the shed as a boozer. Already got the electric, currently looking at insulation options. Seems like quite a major piece of work, and not exactly cheap either.

2 hours ago, Craig said:

Yep, planning to set up the shed as a boozer. Already got the electric, currently looking at insulation options. Seems like quite a major piece of work, and not exactly cheap either.

It's doable for relatively little if you've already got the shed. Insulation costs what 80 quid for a shed?

Has anyone got a good video or website for shed designs? I'm thinking of building one perhaps to sit in all year round so I'd like it to lie a bit more towards a garden office than a place to store stuff and do DIY in. The tradiitonal shed construction of 2x2 frame and shiplap seems labour intensive to me, needs frequent paint or wood preserver, and what you get for the cost of the materials isn't great. I'm thinking along the lines of SIP panels, and perhaps zinc sheeting on the outside.

I'd 100% do it if I had a garden and I also detest that man cave bollocks. Traditional affordable pubs are like rocking horse shit now and most modern pubs are are either soulless gastro pubs/spoons (I still find spoons decent for food or a quick pint, not somewhere I'd want to hang around though) or somewhere some hipster tosser has taken over and selling £6 over hopped rat piss "craft" beer which all taste the same in 2/3rd pint glasses and filled with the type of punters/wankers who see no problem with this. A pub shed in your garden would be miles closer to a traditional pub than those shit holes.

Some good examples around:

l'll have a small one! Summerhouse converted into ...50 Pub Shed Bar Ideas For Men - Cool Backyard Retreat Designs

Inside the Chelmsford garden shed transformed into a sea ...

Could brew your own beer making it basically free

Edited by gibbon
58 minutes ago, gibbon said:

I'd 100% do it if I had a garden and I also detest that man cave bollocks. Traditional affordable pubs are like rocking horse shit now and most modern pubs are are either soulless gastro pubs/spoons (I still find spoons decent for food or a quick pint, not somewhere I'd want to hang around though) or somewhere some hipster tosser has taken over and selling £6 over hopped rat piss "craft" beer which all taste the same in 2/3rd pint glasses and filled with the type of punters/wankers who see no problem with this. A pub shed in your garden would be miles closer to a traditional pub than those shit holes.

Some good examples around:

l'll have a small one! Summerhouse converted into ...50 Pub Shed Bar Ideas For Men - Cool Backyard Retreat Designs

Inside the Chelmsford garden shed transformed into a sea ...

Could brew your own beer making it basically free

Ha! 

Opens his pub at 8/9am, doesn't shut until midnight, fucking loves a pint that guy. 41 minutes long! Only 16mins in so far but I'm keeping going, he's quite funny, though I'm not sure it's intentional. 

I'd quite like a wee pub of my own I'm thinking. 

Cheers!

On 13/10/2020 at 19:25, spunko said:

It's doable for relatively little if you've already got the shed. Insulation costs what 80 quid for a shed?

The decent insulation is about £50 a roll, would probably need a few rolls of that, then need to put some sort of board over that. Bit concerned about moisture and the electrics too.

That micro wood burning stove looks great though, perhaps I'll just look into that instead!

2 hours ago, gibbon said:

Get a micro wood burner. Comfy.

The Hobbit, Small Multi Fuel Cast Iron Stove

TINY STOVE: The Pipsqueak | Tiny Wood Stove

Yes, a friend of mine has one of these. He's been big into RC planes since a boy and his shed is his workshop.

He's not a men in sheds type but he does have the fire, a couple of armchairs and a bar :)

Spent several civilized and comfy winter afternoons with him tinkering around.