Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Is it coz Im standing in the reception area?


Recommended Posts

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54438596

"On my first day in my first banking job I was waiting in the reception area and was mistaken by the entire company for a security guard," says author and satirist Nels Abbey.

"They all showed me their ID cards one by one as they came in."

It was just one of many examples of racism he experienced as a black man working in the City and later for big media companies, including shocking pay disparities and few opportunities for promotion.

Er, you were hanging around in reception.

Ive had the same thing happen. Im not black. Maybe thats worse - people hinking I was a black secutiry guard???

If you were sat in the visitors chair then people would not have shown you their passes.

And did the entire company *really* walk by you as you waited?

 

Edited by spygirl
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No white person has ever experienced a difficult first day at work in the whole of recorded history. Fact.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54438596 "On my first day in my first banking job I was waiting in the reception area and was mistaken by the entire company for a security guard," says author

It's funny, I'm seeing more and more of these stories on the Beeb, it's relentless. Last week it was 'I had to change to fit in at work' by an Indian woman. Yeah, you and pretty much everyone else. 

12 minutes ago, spygirl said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54438596

"On my first day in my first banking job I was waiting in the reception area and was mistaken by the entire company for a security guard," says author and satirist Nels Abbey.

"They all showed me their ID cards one by one as they came in."

It was just one of many examples of racism he experienced as a black man working in the City and later for big media companies, including shocking pay disparities and few opportunities for promotion.

Er, you were hanging around in reception.

Ive had the same thing happen. Im not black. Maybe thats worse - people hinking I was a black secutiry guard???

If you were sat in the visitors chair then people would not have shown you their passes.

And did the entire company *really* walk by you as you waited?

 

It's funny, I'm seeing more and more of these stories on the Beeb, it's relentless. Last week it was 'I had to change to fit in at work' by an Indian woman. Yeah, you and pretty much everyone else. 

There was another one about a woman who felt she 'couldn't bring her whole self' to work. Who wants to take their whole self to work? 

Edited by Roger_Mellie
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

No white person has ever experienced a difficult first day at work in the whole of recorded history.

Fact.

No white person has ever experienced any difficulty in any sphere, ever. And if they think they have then they have no idea what its ACTUALLY like to be black or some other minority, who have it REALLY difficult. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • spygirl changed the title to Is it coz Im standing in the reception area?

Quite a few times over the years I have been asked in shops if I worked there,as a Postal Worker I found it demeaning that someone would think that I was only capable of earning the minimum wage.

Next time I see a Black person loitering around the entrance to a building I will automatically assume that they are obviously a famous author.

Imagine if a White author had the same experience, people would just think that they were a snobbish cunt.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Indian and Chinese earn significantly more than white British. That gets mostly overlooked but at least a mention in this DM article. I'll bet they didn't include white EU workers, I reckon that would not give the desired result.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8830679/Pay-gap-ethnic-minority-white-employees-lowest-level-2012.html

 

White employees earn just 29p more per hour than ethnic minority workers as pay gap closes to its smallest level since 2012, says official study

  • Pay gap between white and ethnic minority employees now at smallest level for seven years, ONS data says
  • Study finds 2.3% gap in earnings between white and ethnic minority employees in England and Wales in 2019
  • White employees earned on average £12.40/hour compared with £12.11 for those in 17 ethnic minority groups 
  • But Chinese, white Irish, white and Asian and Indian ethnicities earn more on average than white British staff

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another DM link (soz), perhaps we are starting to reach the point where the truth and the facts can be ignored no longer?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8835391/Concept-white-privilege-make-white-working-class-children-suffer-school-MPs-hear.html

Concept of 'white privilege' will make white working class children suffer even more in school, professor tells MPs

  • 'White privilege' and 'toxic masculinity' concepts suggest children 'are to blame'
  • Prof Matthew Goodwin made the comments to the Education Select Committee
  • He warned that white working class communities face a 'status deficit'
  • Prof Diane Reay also said the working classes had a 'sense of being left behind'

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, I’ve more than once been mistaken for a waiter in hotel restaurants and bars.  Probably because Ive been dressed a bit like one and was hanging around waiting for colleagues to show.

And I’ve seen all sorts of promotional and pay disparities. 
 

“Racism! Racism under every stone! It’s the only possible explanation!”

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spygirl said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54438596

"On my first day in my first banking job I was waiting in the reception area and was mistaken by the entire company for a security guard," says author and satirist Nels Abbey.

"They all showed me their ID cards one by one as they came in."

It was just one of many examples of racism he experienced as a black man working in the City and later for big media companies, including shocking pay disparities and few opportunities for promotion.

Er, you were hanging around in reception.

Ive had the same thing happen. Im not black. Maybe thats worse - people hinking I was a black secutiry guard???

If you were sat in the visitors chair then people would not have shown you their passes.

And did the entire company *really* walk by you as you waited?

 

The fact that Nigerians in London have now taken over the entire visible security industry might be a factor in this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kurt Barlow said:

The fact that Nigerians in London have now taken over the entire visible security industry might be a factor in this. 

Competitive advantage.

If you want reliable, trustworthy, honest, hardworking and totally above board then who else would you turn to other than a Nigerian?

41 minutes ago, invalid said:

Indian and Chinese earn significantly more than white British. That gets mostly overlooked but at least a mention in this DM article. I'll bet they didn't include white EU workers, I reckon that would not give the desired result.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8830679/Pay-gap-ethnic-minority-white-employees-lowest-level-2012.html

 

White employees earn just 29p more per hour than ethnic minority workers as pay gap closes to its smallest level since 2012, says official study

  • Pay gap between white and ethnic minority employees now at smallest level for seven years, ONS data says
  • Study finds 2.3% gap in earnings between white and ethnic minority employees in England and Wales in 2019
  • White employees earned on average £12.40/hour compared with £12.11 for those in 17 ethnic minority groups 
  • But Chinese, white Irish, white and Asian and Indian ethnicities earn more on average than white British staff

 

What premium do  white people earn in Indian and Nigeria?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, invalid said:

Another DM link (soz), perhaps we are starting to reach the point where the truth and the facts can be ignored no longer?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8835391/Concept-white-privilege-make-white-working-class-children-suffer-school-MPs-hear.html

Concept of 'white privilege' will make white working class children suffer even more in school, professor tells MPs

  • 'White privilege' and 'toxic masculinity' concepts suggest children 'are to blame'
  • Prof Matthew Goodwin made the comments to the Education Select Committee
  • He warned that white working class communities face a 'status deficit'
  • Prof Diane Reay also said the working classes had a 'sense of being left behind'

 

 

Well those two professors have fucked their careers haven't they. 

Speaking out in defense of white working class children. That's on a par with holocaust denial. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I was walking along a cycle track and a cop stopped me because there had been a nearby burglary. He asked to look into my bag.

Since I was white I just got on with my day. If I had been black I would have went home and wrote an article for the BBC about racial profiling.

that's why you need to hide the swag and go back for it later, well done

fact is a lot of security staff are black and seem happy in their lot, maybe they're not, he seems to be demeaning security staff

Edited by ashestoashes
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Melchett said:

Yep, I’ve more than once been mistaken for a waiter in hotel restaurants and bars.  Probably because Ive been dressed a bit like one and was hanging around waiting for colleagues to show.

And I’ve seen all sorts of promotional and pay disparities. 
 

“Racism! Racism under every stone! It’s the only possible explanation!”

I was mistaken for a solicitor whilst in court waiting room. 

Many people there were SSP. 

Shell suit positive.

 

Just now, sarahbell said:

I was mistaken for a solicitor whilst in court waiting room. 

Many people there were SSP. 

Shell suit positive.

 

However same white shirt and black skirt in a restaurant gets you thought of as a waitress.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Since I was white I just got on with my day.

I was once stopped by the police in London Bridge station under some section of the prevention of terrorism act and asked if I could show them the contents of my bag. Slightly bemused but cooperative I asked why they had stopped me and was told that it was because I was walking along slowly reading a book and this was suspicious (admittedly not common behaviour, but I was in no hurry to get to work and it was a good bit). Er, ok, whatever. It was only as I was walking away I remembered that I had seen news a few days previous criticising police for predominantly stopping people from certain ethnic groups. Obviously they were redressing the stats imbalance by stopping loads of whiteys for a few days: I had been racially targeted! Where's my compo?!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...