DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Good examples off when the public were apathetic

So a common reason for abiding by the mask laws appears to be "I know it's bollocks, but I just go along with it for an easy life" ... i've heard this from several friends - none of whom grasp the consequences.

I've mentioned to a couple of them "Well that's what they said in Germany about the Nazis..." e.g. they didn't really go along with it, but didn't want to cause a fuss and opted for a quiet life... this then allowed the radicals to take over and drag the entire nation into fascism.

Of course you say that and the instant response is "Are you calling me a Nazi"...

So can anyone else think of oner examples where relatively trivial rules that most sensible people knew were bollocks, brought on harsher and harsh ones, so I can explain the roadmap?

1 minute ago, Wight Flight said:

Which then led to vaping being banned in the same places, and now in the open air.

I really have no idea why I can't vape in a pub beer garden.

It's based on the principle of 'I don't like it /understand it, so it must be banned.'

I think vaping was banned partly because people just assumed if it is a smoking substitute, it must be as bad as, or worse than smoking (even though the evidence that second hand smoke itself causes any health issues with brief exposure is very scant.)

Personally I stopped vaping because I didn't think the massive doses of nicotine going into my bloodstream were good for me, nor do i trust the idea of inhaling large amounts of glycol droplets into my lungs.

But the idea this could do any harm if I breathed it in from someone else in a pub, is daft.

Just now, Austin Allegro said:

I don't want to listen to people yakking on mobile phones, but I don't call for it to be banned.

For preference I prefer the quiet carriage on the train. 

The sound of people talking doesn't give me a taste in my mouth. Sitting near someone who vapes means I get to taste it. 
To be fair I'm not that bothered about vapes and only know a couple of people who do it. I find the bastard who still smokes MUCH MORE FUCKING ANNOYING.

1 minute ago, sarahbell said:

For preference I prefer the quiet carriage on the train. 

The sound of people talking doesn't give me a taste in my mouth. Sitting near someone who vapes means I get to taste it. 
To be fair I'm not that bothered about vapes and only know a couple of people who do it. I find the bastard who still smokes MUCH MORE FUCKING ANNOYING.

My point was more that we shouldn't just ban things because we don't like them. There ought to be some kind of free-market preference where people can go to, say, vaping/smoking pubs or non-vaping/non-smoking pubs.

IMO Labour missed a trick when they banned smoking. They could have introduced licensed smoking premises with smoking inspectors who would issue certificates for ventilation etc. Didn't happen because they were all too scared of law suits.

Sadly in today's world it's just whoever shouts loudest and does the best scare-mongering gets their way.

Just now, Austin Allegro said:

My point was more that we shouldn't just ban things because we don't like them. There ought to be some kind of free-market preference where people can go to, say, vaping/smoking pubs or non-vaping/non-smoking pubs.

IMO Labour missed a trick when they banned smoking. They could have introduced licensed smoking premises with smoking inspectors who would issue certificates for ventilation etc. Didn't happen because they were all too scared of law suits.

Sadly in today's world it's just whoever shouts loudest and does the best scare-mongering gets their way.

we used to sit with someone who'd vape. his wife would bellow at him because of the clouds of vape he'd create.  If you choke because of someone's vape they're surely doing it wrong?

3 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

we used to sit with someone who'd vape. his wife would bellow at him because of the clouds of vape he'd create.  If you choke because of someone's vape they're surely doing it wrong?

Some of those big vape gadgets seem to produce huge clouds of vapour. I'm not sure why such big clouds are required. I used to vape with a little e-cig which gave off only a small amount (like one of those joke puff-puff cigarettes you used to get) but delivered a fairly hefty 18mg of nicotine, about the strength of the old middle-tar cigarettes like Benson and Hedges gold.

Edited by Austin Allegro

Revalidation. For many professional bodies it has got way out of hand and is often used as a threat in some way to an individual.That went from CPD learning and turned into this monster. And it set out as @Southmartin suggested. You could see a a vague purpose and went along but the supervising body just goes on a power trip.

1 hour ago, Wight Flight said:

Which then led to vaping being banned in the same places, and now in the open air.

I really have no idea why I can't vape in a pub beer garden.

Agreed that sounds a bit much if outside.  Just be more stealthy though and even indoors not a problem.

1 hour ago, Austin Allegro said:

I don't want to listen to people yakking on mobile phones, but I don't call for it to be banned.

Mobile phones are banned in the pub I used to go to, and still are. It didn't play any music either. Only served one variety of beer, one lager and one cider and the same 6 items  and only those had been on the menu for 30+ years. Didn't open lunchtimes and stuck to the old opening hours. If you wanted to eat you'd have to reserve a table about 2 weeks in advance, although good locals could always be squeezed in at 9.30 pm. The pub was always rammed. I miss going to it but I stopped about 8 years ago.