• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Dave Bloke

The Jungle is Back

The Calais jungle is back. Cleared by the French government nearly a year ago migrants have been returning to Calais in order to make the crossing to the UK. No estimates of numbers have been given but there are probably over a thousand now in town. So much so that the "associations" - actually fronts for Soros funded marxist no borders fruit loops, are demanding the installations of facilities: loos, showers, water etc. The town hall has refused to do this but have been ordered to by the French supreme court[1] on Humanitarian Grounds.

French police estimate that practically all of the people arriving at Calais eventually make it to the UK

Edited by davidg

26 minutes ago, davidg said:

The Calais jungle is back. Cleared by the French government nearly a year ago migrants have been returning to Calais in order to make the crossing to the UK. No estimates of numbers have been given but there are probably over a thousand now in town. So much so that the "associations" - actually fronts for Soros funded marxist no borders fruit loops, are demanding the installations of facilities: loos, showers, water etc. The town hall has refused to do this but have been ordered to by the French supreme court[1] on Humanitarian Grounds.

French police estimate that practically all of the people arriving at Calais eventually make it to the UK

All those thousands arriving in Spain have to go somewhere. They've done the most dangerous part, the promised land of the UK awaits. Without a dramatic overhaul of the internal systems of the UK, this will continue indefinitely and Brexit will make no difference.

32 minutes ago, davidg said:

I would set the place up with those irrigation machines farmers use.  Keep them drenched and miserable. Problem is, it will only move the problem on.  The ptb need to deal with this ar source and stop them landing on European soil in the first place 

6 minutes ago, One percent said:

I would set the place up with those irrigation machines farmers use.  Keep them drenched and miserable. Problem is, it will only move the problem on.  The ptb need to deal with this ar source and stop them landing on European soil in the first place 

Without some pragmatism and action on the part of European governments, there will be a steady flow of these folk that will increase as success will breed success(the ones that arrive will be phoning their families saying yeah it's fine send all the younger brothers...). 

1 hour ago, davidg said:

The Calais jungle is back. Cleared by the French government nearly a year ago ...

Not really surprising. it was just to try and save Hollande's election, wasn't it? Didn't it get cleared once before as well?

1 minute ago, spunko2010 said:

Is the Jungle ever featured on French TV / media aside from when it's cleared?

One cannot fathom how the French can put up with that on their soil.

I guess: for most of the population, which is to say those who do not live in Calais, it's out of sight and out of mind.

3 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Indeed, if it comes back there is going to be massive pressure to break the agreement to effectively have the border on French soil. I think it was a separate agreement therefore unaffected by Brexit, but if I was a resident of Calais or anywhere in the region, even a Brit resident, I wouldn't give a flying f*ck, I'd just want that camp out of there. We could have a kind of internment camp on the UK side within a few years.

Shares in Eurotunnel anyone?

17 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Indeed, if it comes back there is going to be massive pressure to break the agreement to effectively have the border on French soil. I think it was a separate agreement therefore unaffected by Brexit, but if I was a resident of Calais or anywhere in the region, even a Brit resident, I wouldn't give a flying f*ck, I'd just want that camp out of there. We could have a kind of internment camp on the UK side within a few years.

Shares in Eurotunnel anyone?

Surely we would simply stop people boarding the ferrys and the Chunnel trains without papers. Given that there is 26 miles of sea separating us from the rest of Europe, where the imagined border actually lies is a moot point. Or am I missing something? 

35 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

A heartfelt on-the-ground perspective from a native Calaisienne - don't expect it ever made it to french TV:

6 minutes ago, One percent said:

Surely we would simply stop people boarding the ferrys and the Chunnel trains without papers. Given that there is 26 miles of sea separating us from the rest of Europe, where the imagined border actually lies is a moot point. Or am I missing something? 

If the French stop co-operating and the agreement is broken, how would Eurotunnel manage this? With great difficulty I'd suggest.Already the trucks are bringing in thousands of hidden migrants, without French co-operation access to the tunnels would be inevitable.

People are looking at this from the wrong angle, it isn't the migrants fault, any more than it is the fault of the EU workers after 16-hour jobs with Tax Credits. While the bird-feeder remains in place, the birds will want to come. 

19 minutes ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

A heartfelt on-the-ground perspective from a native Calaisienne - don't expect it ever made it to french TV:

Recently, around 2,000 migrants were rounded up from the streets of Paris and moved on to shelters (have looked for the link but can't find it).

What that video demonstrates is that it really is out of sight and out of mind for most. The people of Calais have been sacrificed. We won't allow this on the streets of Paris, an international city where people might see it, but we won't deal with it when it's just a little town in the relative middle of nowhere.

We need to move to a contribution based welfare system. "Contribution" can be defined any way you wish - eg must have worked for x, or been resident  for y, etc etc.

2 hours ago, swissy_fit said:

All those thousands arriving in Spain have to go somewhere. They've done the most dangerous part, the promised land of the UK awaits. Without a dramatic overhaul of the internal systems of the UK, this will continue indefinitely and Brexit will make no difference.

That's the plan...!

3 hours ago, davidg said:

But not housing.  If they got proper housing then there'd be no real excuse for them to head to the UK.  

Incidentally I thought that the eu had a legal obligation to properly house "refugees"(on Humanitarian grounds?) but apparently not in this case.

Edited by twocents

3 minutes ago, twocents said:

But not housing.  If they got proper housing then there'd be no real excuse for them to head to the UK.  

Incidentally I thought that the eu had a legal obligation to properly house "refugees"(on Humanitarian grounds?) but apparently not in this case.

Might that only apply if they actually made a formal request for asylum?

Which might result in them being offered a place a hundred miles from Calais.

Which is no good, because it's too far to travel for the nightly attempt to cross into the UK.

Were they offered housing in Calais, they'd probably take it.

2 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

I was shocked to see a shanty town on the side of a motorway near Paris a couple of weeks ago 

19 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Which is no good, because it's too far to travel for the nightly attempt to cross into the UK.

I'm sure they would have to register and request it but they don't while there's a prospect of getting to the UK.  I question whether most would even want to take up an offer of proper housing in Calais as then they'd be off the radar of the SJWs and the Lily Allens to shed tears over their shanty town plight to help their move to their land of milk and honey - and they'd have less legal justification to come to the UK as "refugees". 

Once they get to the UK they'll grab the offer of housing.

In the meantime the fact that they apparently aren't registered for possible asylum in France just adds to the reported general and extreme lawlessness around Calais as they are outside of the law/the system and the lawlessness is likely to be at least partly to motivate French authorities to expedite their move to the UK.  

Edited by twocents

4 hours ago, davidg said:

There always was the suspicion that the reported clearing of Calais around that time was a cynical move partly to accommodate the eu referendum propaganda.

Edited by twocents

3 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

The thing is people see the migration crisis and they realise normal politicians cant solve the problem.

I'd vote for whoever would actually solve the problem..

The most puzzling thing to me is that the solution is so obvious and easy to implement. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a politician in the UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy or Greece with the backbone to carry out what I see as the will of the European people.

I'm thinking I might have to emigrate to Eastern Europe. 

Just now, sleepwello'nights said:

The most puzzling thing to me is that the solution is so obvious and easy to implement. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a politician in the UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy or Greece with the backbone to carry out what I see as the will of the European people.

I'm thinking I might have to emigrate to Eastern Europe. 

That's what gets me as well. Migration would stop in weeks if we saved the migrants from the Mediterranean and then put them back in Libya.

They simply aren't our responsibility.

2 hours ago, blobloblob said:

We need to move to a contribution based welfare system. "Contribution" can be defined any way you wish - eg must have worked for x, or been resident  for y, etc etc.

Why? Resident citizens only seems straightforward enough.

20 hours ago, DTMark said:

Yup, they won't apply for Asylum because they won't be able to move to the UK

20 hours ago, Great Guy said:

That's what gets me as well. Migration would stop in weeks if we saved the migrants from the Mediterranean and then put them back in Libya.

They simply aren't our responsibility.

The Italian govt. has an agreement in place with the Libyan govt who has now extended their territorial waters to 200 miles. Any NGO boat found inside will be sunk, they've been firing on the NGO boats with the coastguard. The NGOs have stood down for the moment. Simples.

Pressure has now moved to Tunisia and Morocco.