Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Recommended Posts

Time for a new thread related to the Daily Mail's favourite topic? You know you love it.

We've got our rented house vaguely shipshape so have started to view properties to buy.

Viewed a couple of houses in Yorkshire today.

First was very nice but adjacent to a road that was busier than we would like. Also too expensive. However it did have a hidey-hole above the stairs, apparently something to do with smuggling back in the day. 

Second one was in a lovely quiet location in the North York Moors. Some ominous cracking in the external stonework. Also a septic tank which the owner keeps in tip top condition  by throwing dead rabbits into it. 

Just keep the owners talking and all sorts of good stuff can be elicited!

Couple of properties in one of our target areas were SSTC and have come back on to the market this week. Think this will be a common occurrence on the run up to Christmas.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, leonardratso said:

what is this witchcraft. First a sale then a buy. Something going on here.

yorkshire? bit of a drive for you isnt it? might be wrong cant remember. theres a  golden triangle in north yorkshire,like a mini surrey but much colder and more dogs(hit).

We're not going to rent for more than 12 months. The recent sale and move into rented was deliberate so that we can jump on to a good opportunity without the aggro of a chain. The agents are very pleased to talk to us when they hear of our circumstances. 

Two hour drive to the middle of the Dales for us. We will be semi retiring and will hopefully end up in a nice quiet rural spot (a long way from the hooray henrys in York and Harrogate)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

We're not going to rent for more than 12 months. The recent sale and move into rented was deliberate so that we can jump on to a good opportunity without the aggro of a chain. The agents are very pleased to talk to us when they hear of our circumstances. 

Two hour drive to the middle of the Dales for us. We will be semi retiring and will hopefully end up in a nice quiet rural spot (a long way from the hooray henrys in York and Harrogate)

 

yeah sounds nice,  good luck.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

Time for a new thread related to the Daily Mail's favourite topic? You know you love it.

We've got our rented house vaguely shipshape so have started to view properties to buy.

Viewed a couple of houses in Yorkshire today.

First was very nice but adjacent to a road that was busier than we would like. Also too expensive. However it did have a hidey-hole above the stairs, apparently something to do with smuggling back in the day. 

Second one was in a lovely quiet location in the North York Moors. Some ominous cracking in the external stonework. Also a septic tank which the owner keeps in tip top condition  by throwing dead rabbits into it. 

Just keep the owners talking and all sorts of good stuff can be elicited!

Couple of properties in one of our target areas were SSTC and have come back on to the market this week. Think this will be a common occurrence on the run up to Christmas.

 

 

 

I think with the increasing population in the UK for the next 10 years, traffic noise will be a real issue.  Then, if the green anti-car plans work and car ownership goes through the floor, places that were not nice will suddenly be much more attractive.  Plan accordingly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, eek said:

This requires work but if it wasn't for the fact Twin A is at school for at least another year I would be tempted by it

 

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-73134411.html

We are aware of this one. It's going to sealed bids. Quite close to the main road from Hawes through to Sedbergh and busier than people might realise, especially during holiday season. We would have been very interested if it had been a little closer to a village and away from the road. Obviously got a roof leak and at least one of the chimney linings is totally buggered judging by the heat marks on the external stonework. Lovely original features though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing about the dales is that there are very few houses that aren’t on a main route unless you have the cash (and ability) to purchase a farm. This one at least is set back a bit and the road isn’t that fast there. Oh and motorbike noise carries for miles so a lot of places look nice until you visit on a Sunday afternoon and sit in the garden.

Mrs Eek and I were discussing this recently as her friend who sold to rent last year had to move to Richmond to find anything that wasn’t right by a noisy road in her fairly generous (for the area) price range.

we actually think just about the only place bearable in the North of the park would be West Burton but nowt good has been for sale there for ages

Edited by eek
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

We are aware of this one. It's going to sealed bids. Quite close to the main road from Hawes through to Sedbergh and busier than people might realise, especially during holiday season. We would have been very interested if it had been a little closer to a village and away from the road. Obviously got a roof leak and at least one of the chimney linings is totally buggered judging by the heat marks on the external stonework. Lovely original features though.

Picture 10 has something strange going on with a fireplace!

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, eek said:

The thing about the dales is that there are very few houses that aren’t on a main route unless you have the cash (and ability) to purchase a farm. This one at least is set back a bit and the road isn’t that fast there. Oh and motorbike nice carries for miles so a lot of places look nice until you visit on a Sunday afternoon and sit in the garden.

Mrs Eek and I were discussing this recently as her friend who sold to rent last year had to move to Richmond to find anything that wasn’t right by a noisy road in her fairly generous (for the area) price range.

we actually think just about the only place bearable in the North of the park would be West Burton but nowt good has been for sale there for ages

Hard to disagree with that. Lots of properties offer much but there's often a catch.

We have been speaking to an agent about some knackered barns for sale. In a superb spot and very quiet. However, there are substantial risks with the repairs and the asking price + cost of conversion easily exceeds the final value. I've even given the agent our cost plan but suspect that won't help. Far too analytical. They want people to buy properties 'grand designs style' with their heart rather than their head.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

 

Hard to disagree with that. Lots of properties offer much but there's often a catch.

We have been speaking to an agent about some knackered barns for sale. In a superb spot and very quiet. However, there are substantial risks with the repairs and the asking price + cost of conversion easily exceeds the final value. I've even given the agent our cost plan but suspect that won't help. Far too analytical. They want people to buy properties 'grand designs style' with their heart rather than their head.

Do they have planning permission - if not the rules in the Dales are very strict (if this was stealth I could say more).

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, eek said:

Do they have planning permission - if not the rules in the Dales are very strict (if this was stealth I could say more).

Yes, planning condition gained although a very poor layout. Our offer (if we made one) would be conditional on new planning. They will only be able to sell to a cash buyer or developer (and it just doesn't seem to stack up for a developer).

The agent does seem to be a sensible 'old school' fella. He's talking to the owner this week (Trust not a private owner)

It's a classic money pit project. We know what we are doing but 99% of people out there would massively underestimate the costs involved.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Yes, planning condition gained although a very poor layout. Our offer (if we made one) would be conditional on new planning. They will only be able to sell to a cash buyer or developer (and it just doesn't seem to stack up for a developer).

The agent does seem to be a sensible 'old school' fella. He's talking to the owner this week (Trust not a private owner)

It's a classic money pit project. We know what we are doing but 99% of people out there would massively underestimate the costs involved.

Is it in Dent? - if it is that has a S106 on it - which may significantly impact future sale price (and whether you can actually live in it in the first place).

Edited by eek
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, eek said:

This requires work but if it wasn't for the fact Twin A is at school for at least another year I would be tempted by it

 

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-73134411.html

Thats a real gem. 

I got to see a real gem today, deceased estate, similar to that, not official on the website yet. I was first through the door. Sadly no offers yet on my place, so not proceedable yet.

Interestingly, with the pandemic maybe there will be more deceased estates coming onto the market. And they are unlikely to be real crap new builds, just the classic stuff that people want. It might be a good time to be trading up!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eek said:

The thing about the dales is that there are very few houses that aren’t on a main route unless you have the cash (and ability) to purchase a farm. This one at least is set back a bit and the road isn’t that fast there. Oh and motorbike noise carries for miles so a lot of places look nice until you visit on a Sunday afternoon and sit in the garden.

Mrs Eek and I were discussing this recently as her friend who sold to rent last year had to move to Richmond to find anything that wasn’t right by a noisy road in her fairly generous (for the area) price range.

we actually think just about the only place bearable in the North of the park would be West Burton but nowt good has been for sale there for ages

This isnt necessarily a bad thing. If youre on a tourist route, traffic will be seasonal, so not constant and ideal if you want to start a hobby business, ie selling vegetables/roadside cafe/ice creams etc. Something which im looking for in my move up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, eek said:

Is it in Dent? - if it is that has a S106 on it - which may significantly impact future sale price (and whether you can actually live in it in the first place).

No. Don't want to give out the name on the forum in case we end up there!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Green Devil said:

This isnt necessarily a bad thing. If youre on a tourist route, traffic will be seasonal, so not constant and ideal if you want to start a hobby business, ie selling vegetables/roadside cafe/ice creams etc. Something which im looking for in my move up.

yes, I think this is often an overlooked side benefit of some of these places.  No, mr taxman, I only made 100 quid from the veg this year.   had to compost the rest.  feel free to go dig around the compost heap if you want to check...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wherebee said:

yes, I think this is often an overlooked side benefit of some of these places.  No, mr taxman, I only made 100 quid from the veg this year.   had to compost the rest.  feel free to go dig around the compost heap if you want to check...

It's not as if you take cards and leave a paper trail. Cash in the honesty box. 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...