DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Diary of a house purchase

Sasquatch

18 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

Congrats. You may be a bit optimistic about completion in 8 weeks though. We accepted an offer on our house mid September, the purchaser wanted exchange early November with completion by end November. It was a very short chain, we were moving into a new build that was pretty much complete, and he had nothing to sell. 10 weeks was what he wanted us to work to.

In the end he faffed around and we didn't exchange till mid Dec, we were ready and waiting for exchange from mid November and our solicitor had our signed contracts ready to exchange from then. We were unsettled by his delays and sort of expected him to pull out or demand a reduction to the agree price. He didn't and we sold at the price agreed at the time of offer.

After exchange we couldn't complete as removal companies were all booked and wouldn't take a tentative date. We had to confirm dates and pay there and then and if the date couldn't be met would have to pay a penalty. In the end we completed mid-Jan. 12 weeks in all, which is quite speedy as house sales go.

We got our house sold in just under 8 weeks last year. We moved into rented and the buyer didn't have a house to sell. We both had to 'encourage' our solicitors along (particularly the buyer's solicitor who wanted to ask all sorts of pointless questions).

For this one we are in rented but won't move in to the new place for several months. It's currently unoccupied and the owner lives abroad. Therefore it should be easy. We've already told our solicitor to apply for the searches. We just need the contract and property form from the seller's solicitor. We have asked for simultaneous exchange and completion. 

We will probably miss the stamp duty deadline but I think have a strong chance for a rebate in nay case as there is separate living accommodation in an outbuilding.

We just want to crack on with the repairs in the good weather of spring and early summer and get moved in mid summer.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, leonardratso said:

i sort of lost track here, which one did you buy in the end?

Early georgian house one. Offered £350K, got a quick no. Told that the vendor had rejected a £400K offer before Christmas. Offered £390K which nearly got it done and then we moved up to £400K as absolute take it or leave it final offer. He thought about it for 5 days (!) and then agreed. Slightly worried that he will change his mind but hopefully the agent will keep him sensible.

We are £25K higher than we wanted to be but after our 2nd detailed viewing we've shaved £20K off our budget. The house has a lot of potential and will have everything we need, including a separate office building for our business.

3 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Early georgian house one. Offered £350K, got a quick no. Told that the vendor had rejected a £400K offer before Christmas. Offered £390K which nearly got it done and then we moved up to £400K as absolute take it or leave it final offer. He thought about it for 5 days (!) and then agreed. Slightly worried that he will change his mind but hopefully the agent will keep him sensible.

We are £25K higher than we wanted to be but after our 2nd detailed viewing we've shaved £20K off our budget. The house has a lot of potential and will have everything we need, including a separate office building for our business.

is there some pictures earlier on? its not that one with the missing floor and no brick mortar is it?

its ok, ill go back thru and see if i can find it, didnt realise this had gone to 7 pages, thought it was just a couple.

19 hours ago, leonardratso said:

its ok, ill go back thru and see if i can find it, didnt realise this had gone to 7 pages, thought it was just a couple.

The only photo I uploaded was of the rotten window. This one has intact floors and a non leaking roof. Absolute luxury.

Just got our Barclays mortgage agreed in principle. 1.49% fixed for 7 years is a pretty stellar product.

No valuation required as well so was quite a simple application in the end.

2 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

The only photo I uploaded was of the rotten window. This one has intact floors and a non leaking roof. Absolute luxury.

Just got our Barclays mortgage agreed in principle. 1.49% fixed for 7 years is a pretty stellar product.

No valuation required as well so was quite a simple application in the end.

i still have some portland cement+gravel in the shed if you want to fix that window frame PERMANENTLY.

2 hours ago, leonardratso said:

i still have some portland cement+gravel in the shed if you want to fix that window frame PERMANENTLY.

Fortunately we have access to a excellent joiner and he will be making some traditional yorkshire sliding sashes to replace the 70's crap. Rather amazingly we have been provided with a copy of an old photo of the house from the late 1800's which clearly shows the style of the original windows.

On 10/02/2021 at 17:07, Sasquatch said:

We've gone and done diddly done it.

We've bought the house. Had to pay £400K to secure it. The seller wasn't budging. However we've trimmed our budget by £20K and can definitely (and easily) create two rooms in the roof. Will be a super house when finished. Earliest part is early/mid 18th C. Still has some of the original features and we will get rid of the 70's rubbish and reinstate reclaimed fireplaces etc. 

Hopefully it will go through in about 8 weeks. Shortest possible chain. 

Assuming it happens and we don't have WW3 or a Planet X event in the next two months, I might start up a new 'diary of a house restoration' thread. Could be an interesting one. Fingers crossed we find a stash of gold doubloons under the floorboards.

Was it the one with the mummy in the fireplace?

Bobthebuilder
14 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Fortunately we have access to a excellent joiner and he will be making some traditional yorkshire sliding sashes to replace the 70's crap. Rather amazingly we have been provided with a copy of an old photo of the house from the late 1800's which clearly shows the style of the original windows.

Best of luck @Sasquatchsounds like its be a fucking fortune

13 minutes ago, Shamone said:

Was it the one with the mummy in the fireplace?

Christ no. If there was ever a money pit house, it was that one. It was 10 foot from a stream as well. With all the rain we've been having it's probably floated away by now.

As I mentioned earlier, and assuming people are interested, I'll set up a 'diary of a house restoration' thread when the time comes. Obviously I won't want to make it too identifiable but reckon it should work with some carefully taken photos. Probably stick it in stealth for good measure. We'll be exposing old ceilings boarded up for perhaps 60 years and maybe opening up fireplaces. A couple of the rooms have been boarded across to hide the chimney breast behind a flush wall. 

6 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Christ no. If there was ever a money pit house, it was that one. It was 10 foot from a stream as well. With all the rain we've been having it's probably floated away by now.

Gutted. I was hoping for a occultist thread. You could have resurrected King Tut with the magic billiard balls and sent him out to dominate.

2 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

As I mentioned earlier, and assuming people are interested, I'll set up a 'diary of a house restoration' thread when the time comes. Obviously I won't want to make it too identifiable but reckon it should work with some carefully taken photos. Probably stick it in stealth for good measure. We'll be exposing old ceilings boarded up for perhaps 60 years and maybe opening up fireplaces. A couple of the rooms have been boarded across to hide the chimney breast behind a flush wall. 

King Tut 2.0?

sleepwello'nights
4 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

We'll be exposing old ceilings boarded up for perhaps 60 years and maybe opening up fireplaces. A couple of the rooms have been boarded across to hide the chimney breast behind a flush wall. 

With thanks to Barry Bucknell no doubt. 

https://nostalgiacentral.com/television/tv-by-decade/tv-shows-1960s/bucknells-house/ 

How times change.

Interesting.

We sent over our mortgage in principle offer to the agent handling the sale. I was expecting the house listing on rightmove to switch to 'under offer' or 'SSTC' but it's been completely nuked. I can get to the listing via my favourites but otherwise it's disappeared.

Not seen that before but I take it to be a good sign that the vendor is serious. 

There is a general feeling that we might get it bought before the end of March. That would be a nice bonus in terms of stamp duty and also give us a full 6 months to get it completely refurbished.

The garage and garden is rammed with stuff though. I have a feeling they will be leaving all sorts of crapola.

9 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Interesting.

We sent over our mortgage in principle offer to the agent handling the sale. I was expecting the house listing on rightmove to switch to 'under offer' or 'SSTC' but it's been completely nuked. I can get to the listing via my favourites but otherwise it's disappeared.

Not seen that before but I take it to be a good sign that the vendor is serious. 

There is a general feeling that we might get it bought before the end of March. That would be a nice bonus in terms of stamp duty and also give us a full 6 months to get it completely refurbished.

The garage and garden is rammed with stuff though. I have a feeling they will be leaving all sorts of crapola.

A079916F-562F-4F61-A207-427931457962.gif

12 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Interesting.

I love crapola to go through when you buy a house.  I still have a rather wonderful painting I found in an attic in London.

3 minutes ago, wherebee said:

I love crapola to go through when you buy a house.  I still have a rather wonderful painting I found in an attic in London.

does it get older as you stay the same age?

3 minutes ago, wherebee said:

We might get the odd interesting thing left, you never know. I'm pretty sure the rotten pile of fence panels is staying put though. The house has a huge garage (75m2) and it's full of stuff. Pressure on for the owner to clear it especially as he lives in Canada. We understand his family will be in control.

5 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

We might get the odd interesting thing left, you never know. I'm pretty sure the rotten pile of fence panels is staying put though. The house has a huge garage (75m2) and it's full of stuff. Pressure on for the owner to clear it especially as he lives in Canada. We understand his family will be in control.

Crikey the houses im looking at a barely that size; and £4000-£5000 per m2 seem to be what they want. Robbing bastards.

Archived