DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Diary of a house purchase

Sasquatch

7 minutes ago, Hardhat said:

Cat5 is much cheaper than Cat6 and pretty much handles the same bandwidths over short runs, especially if it's just general low-intensity internet browsing etc. Cat6 would be a bit more future-proof though and allows for higher bandwidths if you intend to do a lot of video streaming etc. Make sure it's installation grade - low smoke zero halogen (LSZH) and check building regs, though your sparky should know this.

There's about a 10% price difference and Cat6 isn't as flexible so can be harder to run.

Most household equipment (ISP provided equipment) can't fully utilise Cat6.

So, if you want an adequate system Cat5, if you want to future proof your installation Cat6.

*Cat7 if you're mining bitcoin :D

On 14/02/2021 at 23:46, sleepwello'nights said:

You can never have too many ear defenders.

Pardon?

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sleepwello'nights
2 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Agreed. I have been admonished by Mrs S. We needed to get the old kitchen out (including the cooker where all the problems were). Our electrician has been out and isolated some of the circuits, just leaving us a bit of power and lighting. We will be having a full rewire.

I had a silly issue with changing a light fitting in our new house. The circuit was switched off but I guess some residual charge tripped the ECLB whilst connecting the fitting. So the whole downstairs had no electricity. 

I tried to push the main switch on the consumer unit on but it felt very stiff and I didn't want to use too much force and break it. The consumer unit is quite fancy with surge protection and looks very high tech (to me as I'm not a sparky).  I thought there might be some interlock or some other form of protection to stop it being switched on if there was a short circuit somewhere. 

Anyway it was a Saturday and fortunately the site manager was around. He come over and pushed the switch up. I felt so silly.

With a crooked smile
2 hours ago, Option5 said:

There's no radiation risk from Sellafield, that was Windscale.

They got rid of the radiation when they changed the name.O.o

Haha it all blows over Ireland anyway. Overall rates of cancer are actually lower in areas with nuclear power stations (although I should point out Sellafield doesn't produce nuclear power). But that's due to higher wages better diet ect not to the precense of NP. Bit like the old 'in hot countries where they eat more ice-cream there's more skin cancer, thus ice cream causes skin cancer' argument 

1 minute ago, With a crooked smile said:

Haha it all blows over Ireland anyway. Overall rates of cancer are actually lower in areas with nuclear power stations (although I should point out Sellafield doesn't produce nuclear power). But that's due to higher wages better diet ect not to the precense of NP. Bit like the old 'in hot countries where they eat more ice-cream there's more skin cancer, thus ice cream causes skin cancer' argument 

Parts of the UK where they have a lot of Granite (Aberdeen) or Radon gas (South West) have higher background radiation than that permitted in nuclear power facilities.

Grand Central Station is built of granite and if it were a nuclear power plant would be shut down and evacuated.

12 hours ago, leonardratso said:

and run some ethernet cables in there as well, very handy for when wifi is weak

On our list. We're going to put in about 5 data points. Some of the internal house walls are 500mm thick so wifi may struggle.

I'm going to start up a new thread this evening. I'll stick it in off topic rather than stealth. I'm going to keep things as neutral as possible in terms of the exact house location. 

• 2 months later...
Don Coglione
On 10/04/2021 at 13:42, Don Coglione said:

Natwest's 5 year fix has dropped to 1.29% (with a £995 fee). At this rate, by the time we are ready to take on the mortgage, it will be below 1%!

Getting closer, Maude!

Natwest's 5 year fix is now 1.13%.

Democorruptcy
47 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

So glad i took my cash out of nationwide. Assholes funding this housing mega bubble.

After watching executives at other lenders swan off into the sunset with their mega pay and bonuses, while they had to contribute to the bailout, focussed Nationwide's mind. The canary in the coal mine will be when some of their execs leave with their pensions, pay and bonuses intact before they hand over to the patsy.

Outlook Cuddly old Nationwide, the organisation that never ceases to extol the virtues of mutuality – putting members before profit and so on – is hopping mad about the £241m it has just had to shell out to the Financial Services Compensation Scheme. Britain's biggest building society doesn't object to paying into a compensation fund for savers who lose out when a savings provider goes bust – in fact it wants the maximum pay-out raised from £50,000 to £100,000 – but it's deeply unimpressed with the way its bill is currently calculated.

You can see its point. The levy is based on providers' size and with an 11 per cent share of the savings market, Nationwide contributes more than most to the cost of bailing out victims of collapsing Icelandic banks. If, however, contributors were billed on the basis of how likely it is that their customers will one day have to make a claim on the scheme, then Nationwide would pay much less.

The society points out, for example, that on its mortgage book, 0.6 per cent of customers are in arrears, compared to a financial services average of 2.4 per cent. It has avoided the sort of high-risk business activities that have done such damage elsewhere.

In other words, Nationwide is punished for the kind of conservatism of which regulators would like to see more. One reason it attracts savings business is that customers see it as a safe, solid institution. But the more business it gets this way, the more it has to pay the FSCS.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/comment/david-prosser-nationwide-pays-for-being-sensible-1691837.html

1 hour ago, Democorruptcy said:

After watching executives at other lenders swan off into the sunset with their mega pay and bonuses, while they had to contribute to the bailout, focussed Nationwide's mind. The canary in the coal mine will be when some of their execs leave with their pensions, pay and bonuses intact before they hand over to the patsy.

I know senior people at the Nationwide with mortgages elsewhere because they failed to meet Nationwide's own criteria for a mortgage - their rules are way tighter than others. 

But Mutuality as a concept has died at the moment.  

• 1 month later...
Don Coglione
On 10/04/2021 at 13:42, Don Coglione said:

Natwest's 5 year fix has dropped to 1.29% (with a £995 fee). At this rate, by the time we are ready to take on the mortgage, it will be below 1%!

On 27/07/2021 at 20:14, Don Coglione said:

Getting closer, Maude!

Natwest's 5 year fix is now 1.13%.

It is here. 5 year fix now 0.99%. Interest-only also possible.

Archived