DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Diary of a house purchase

Option5
7 minutes ago, Hardhat said:

Cat5 is much cheaper than Cat6 and pretty much handles the same bandwidths over short runs, especially if it's just general low-intensity internet browsing etc. Cat6 would be a bit more future-proof though and allows for higher bandwidths if you intend to do a lot of video streaming etc. Make sure it's installation grade - low smoke zero halogen (LSZH) and check building regs, though your sparky should know this.

There's about a 10% price difference and Cat6 isn't as flexible so can be harder to run.

Most household equipment (ISP provided equipment) can't fully utilise Cat6.

So, if you want an adequate system Cat5, if you want to future proof your installation Cat6.

*Cat7 if you're mining bitcoin :D

On 14/02/2021 at 23:46, sleepwello'nights said:

You can never have too many ear defenders.

Pardon?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sasquatch

• leonardratso

• Green Devil

• MrXxxx

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We've gone and done diddly done it. We've bought the house. Had to pay £400K to secure it. The seller wasn't budging. However we've trimmed our budget by £20K and can definitely (and easily) crea

We have the house.  Spent an hour walking around it on Thursday afternoon wondering if we'd lost our tiny minds. Then spent the rest of the day and the whole of Friday lifting carpets, strip

I've posted on here before but every single time I put an offer in on a place in the UK, a higher offer amazingly appeared from nowhere. I would start with the assumption the estate agent is a ly

Posted Images

sleepwello'nights
2 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Agreed. I have been admonished by Mrs S. We needed to get the old kitchen out (including the cooker where all the problems were). Our electrician has been out and isolated some of the circuits, just leaving us a bit of power and lighting. We will be having a full rewire.

I had a silly issue with changing a light fitting in our new house. The circuit was switched off but I guess some residual charge tripped the ECLB whilst connecting the fitting. So the whole downstairs had no electricity. 

I tried to push the main switch on the consumer unit on but it felt very stiff and I didn't want to use too much force and break it. The consumer unit is quite fancy with surge protection and looks very high tech (to me as I'm not a sparky).  I thought there might be some interlock or some other form of protection to stop it being switched on if there was a short circuit somewhere. 

Anyway it was a Saturday and fortunately the site manager was around. He come over and pushed the switch up. I felt so silly.

With a crooked smile
2 hours ago, Option5 said:

There's no radiation risk from Sellafield, that was Windscale.

They got rid of the radiation when they changed the name.O.o

Haha it all blows over Ireland anyway. Overall rates of cancer are actually lower in areas with nuclear power stations (although I should point out Sellafield doesn't produce nuclear power). But that's due to higher wages better diet ect not to the precense of NP. Bit like the old 'in hot countries where they eat more ice-cream there's more skin cancer, thus ice cream causes skin cancer' argument 

Option5
1 minute ago, With a crooked smile said:

Haha it all blows over Ireland anyway. Overall rates of cancer are actually lower in areas with nuclear power stations (although I should point out Sellafield doesn't produce nuclear power). But that's due to higher wages better diet ect not to the precense of NP. Bit like the old 'in hot countries where they eat more ice-cream there's more skin cancer, thus ice cream causes skin cancer' argument 

Parts of the UK where they have a lot of Granite (Aberdeen) or Radon gas (South West) have higher background radiation than that permitted in nuclear power facilities.

Grand Central Station is built of granite and if it were a nuclear power plant would be shut down and evacuated.

• Informative 2
  • Lol 1
Sasquatch
12 hours ago, leonardratso said:

and run some ethernet cables in there as well, very handy for when wifi is weak

On our list. We're going to put in about 5 data points. Some of the internal house walls are 500mm thick so wifi may struggle.

Sasquatch

I'm going to start up a new thread this evening. I'll stick it in off topic rather than stealth. I'm going to keep things as neutral as possible in terms of the exact house location.