Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, sarahbell said:

Ah..   ok thanks   :)

Quote

“Max, I want you to promise me you will have an adventure in it.”

Definition of adventure has changed a bit since I was a lad  :/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just the latest 'Captain Tom' heart warming story.  People must be desperate to give their money away.

(Note - if you want to give to a charity, then great.  Though I bet he's got loads from people who don't know where he is).

There'll be another one along soon - though it will have to be BAME / female - preferably both.

Link to post
Share on other sites

With stories like this, I like to see just how close the protagonists are to the media.  Just to see if it is the sort of thing anyone could do, or whether you really need 'an in' to get the story out there.

Anyway, in this story the mum was in 'the choir', some BBC thing from a few years back.  A trivial detail, but that's all that's needed -- a phone number, etc.  (there's also a link with Simon Cowell, which gets into marketing/promotion stuff).

[Amusingly, the dad used to be a Major* in 42 commando.  And now teaches mindfulness.  I'm sure that he'll get ribbed for that at the annual dinner]

[* remember the rule -- Major is the minimum assumed rank for retired officers**; if an officer doesn't reach Major by retirement they must have been crap.]

[** I'm sure some out there would disagree.  But they're the ones that retired at Captain.]

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Libspero said:

I hope you're not cynically implying the news cycle is predictably contrived and formulaic ?

How very dare you..

Have you ever flicked through the regional BBC1 channels at 6.30 for the various local news programmes?

Usually the top story might be specific to the local region if there is some big local news story, but then the rest of the items on the programme are generally variations on a theme throughout all the different regions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Royston said:

Have you ever flicked through the regional BBC1 channels at 6.30 for the various local news programmes?

Usually the top story might be specific to the local region if there is some big local news story, but then the rest of the items on the programme are generally variations on a theme throughout all the different regions.

I’ve not really watched terrestrial TV since I was a student..  your story suggests I’m really not missing much!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

I used to sleep in a tent in the garden sometimes when I was a kid. It was a bit of an adventure and it meant I could knock one out without my brother, with whom I shared a bedroom for quite a few years, hearing me.

that's the problem with self erecting tents

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, dgul said:

With stories like this, I like to see just how close the protagonists are to the media.  Just to see if it is the sort of thing anyone could do, or whether you really need 'an in' to get the story out there.

Anyway, in this story the mum was in 'the choir', some BBC thing from a few years back.  A trivial detail, but that's all that's needed -- a phone number, etc.  (there's also a link with Simon Cowell, which gets into marketing/promotion stuff).

[Amusingly, the dad used to be a Major* in 42 commando.  And now teaches mindfulness.  I'm sure that he'll get ribbed for that at the annual dinner]

[* remember the rule -- Major is the minimum assumed rank for retired officers**; if an officer doesn't reach Major by retirement they must have been crap.]

[** I'm sure some out there would disagree.  But they're the ones that retired at Captain.]

That Tom is a lovely guy but I think he was probably next to useless in the army and in his career afterwards. That's why he has lived so long. Nothing has ever stressed him much apart from wife dying. These types never make great industry leaders and only make it big if they get lucky. He has the Frank Spencer demeanour of ill try anything and see how it goes. You do that enough in the 60 70 80s you made a pile of cash at some point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

I used to sleep in a tent in the garden sometimes when I was a kid. It was a bit of an adventure and it meant I could knock one out without my brother, with whom I shared a bedroom for quite a few years, hearing me.

Without the "added extras" there I sometimes did when younger.  You hear the sounds of nature; it's nice.

That's why people like camping.

 

I am unsurprised why they reported on a boy spending a while camping in his tent in the garden given the standard run of local "news" stories.

In ten minutes this morning on Radio Cornwall I had some virtual sponsored run, Sustrans (whatever), a women who'd written a book after a miscarriage about same, and a woman telling everyone how to use the English language with regard to Downs Syndrome.

<off> 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ccc said:

I lived in a tent for about 4 months as it was cheap. Where is my story in the papers :Old:

 

Go on - sounds interesting.

Somewhere tropical or Greenock?

Holidaying or out of work?

 

It's drying things that I always find so difficult when camping; one time in the Brecons the wind was forcing the rain through every seam so that when it came to bed I had to get into a wet cold sleeping bag wearing wet cold clothes.

I am very much a fair weather camper these days but if I was going to risk the rain it would be all synthetic / wicking clothing as cotton is miserable when wet.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, dgul said:

With stories like this, I like to see just how close the protagonists are to the media.  Just to see if it is the sort of thing anyone could do, or whether you really need 'an in' to get the story out there.

Anyway, in this story the mum was in 'the choir', some BBC thing from a few years back.  A trivial detail, but that's all that's needed -- a phone number, etc.  (there's also a link with Simon Cowell, which gets into marketing/promotion stuff).

[Amusingly, the dad used to be a Major* in 42 commando.  And now teaches mindfulness.  I'm sure that he'll get ribbed for that at the annual dinner]

[* remember the rule -- Major is the minimum assumed rank for retired officers**; if an officer doesn't reach Major by retirement they must have been crap.]

[** I'm sure some out there would disagree.  But they're the ones that retired at Captain.]

Is he a 'special'?

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/mark-woosey-10186359

Poofy degree 86 -> 89.

Nothing listed for 10 years.

Then PM -> colustant, then suddenly a Major????

 

Officer Commanding Naval Service Recovery Centre

NSRC

Jul 2018 - Present2 years 4 months

Officer Commanding

Halser Company

Jul 2018 - Present2 years 4 months

Plymouth, Devon, United Kingdom

Operations Officer

1AGRM

Nov 2017 - Jul 20189 months

Plymouth, United Kingdom

Amphibious Operations Officer

1 Assault Group

Jul 2016 - Jul 20182 years 1 month

Plymouth, United Kingdom

AOO and boat group commander for Bay Class amphibious ships

OC

Amphibious Trials and Training Squadron

Aug 2012 - Jul 20164 years

Commanded small sqn of mixed military and civilian staff - trialling amphibious equipment - vehicles, boats and ancillary equipment - for Britains amphibious troops

Amphibious Operations Officer

RFA Cardigan Bay

Jul 2014 - Nov 20145 months

Middle East & Africa

Chief Instructor

ISAF Counter Insurgency Training Centre

Jan 2012 - Aug 20128 months

kabul

OC Sp Sqn

CLR

Oct 2009 - Jan 20122 years 4 months

DCOS

1AGRM

Apr 2008 - Oct 2009 1 year 7 months

Royal Marines Major

Royal Marines

May 2005 - Apr 2008 3 years

Management Consultant

Warwick Insight

Jan 2004 - Jun 2005 1 year 6 months

Project Manager

Motorola

2000 - 2004 4 years

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...